1985 Crx Si Better Than 86-87 Si?

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yea i was kinda curious about the 1985 crx si. I have heard it rumored to be the fastest crx to make it to north america. I have all so read on a web site that the 1985 crx has less weight and has a better geared tranny than the 86-87 crx si. I have no idea if this is true or not. I think that it is kinda bull presonally, but i guess i could be wrong. It also said that the 85 ran a 16.2 in the 1/4 and the 86-87 ran a 16.7 in the 1/4.?.?.?.?.? check it out here..... no idea if truthful or not

http://kumo.swcp.com.../crx/specs.html
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The 85 CRX Si is better than the 86-87, because it is lighter, partly due to less body kit, and smaller bumpers.

Apparently it was better geared too, and rumoured to have a hotter cam.

Unfortunately, nobody has been able to properly confirm this information, besides 'the 85 is lighter, and may have had a hotter cam and better gearing'

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
I dunno about the hotter cam or anything like that but the CRX specs on this site: http://kumo.swcp.com.../crx/specs.html list the 85 as being 1890 pounds and the 86-87 being 1953.

Both of the 85's Si's I've seen weighed have been in the high 1700 pound range. And these are Stock cars! The 85 I raced against at the Wendover Pro-Solo was neck and neck with me to the 60 foot mark ... and I had 80 HP and 70 ft/lb torque on him! (And 800 more pounds huh.gif ) ...And my car runs mid 15's in the quarter!
Both our cars are stock! (I left him behind after that, but the pesky bugger caught me and passed me in the twisties on the way back!)

Yes the 85 Si was lighter, and lighter is much better. wink.gif
...Unless you are crashing. sad.gif

1g Supremacy

85 Si > 86 Si, 87 Si, 88 Si, 89 Si, 90 Si, 91 Si, 92 Si, 93 Si, 94 Si, 95 Si, 96 Si, and 97 Si.

Catch the drift. wink.gif It was the fastest CRX imported to the states. And was said before, was lighter, and had better gearing.

CRXdan

didnt the 97 USDM Si have a b16?
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

1g Supremacy

It was still slow..

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
Cause the 97 Del Sol Si is a pig.. Heavy as heck... It needed the extra support for the targa top.. tongue.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

1g Supremacy

Cause the 97 Del Sol Si is a pig.. Heavy as heck... It needed the extra support for the targa top..

Yup. That basically sums it up. Could you imagine how much it would weigh with the transtop?

But that transtop was pimp. No doubt. biggrin.gif I almost got a '92 JDM CRX SiR. It was blue..Had the transtop..Shit was sweeet.

In fact, here's the exact car.

http://www.tpimotors...42&LinkTypeID=5

They never took it off their website. laugh.gif That was almost a year ago.

Edited by 1g Supremacy, 09 September 2004 - 02:23 AM.

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
Oh hell yea.. The retractable top was nice.. It also sucked up all trunk space or at least 80% of it.. I would drive that for a DD though cool.gif .. A 97 Del Sol with the trans-top hmmm nice.. And very rare.. I don't think it made it to North America.. unsure.gif

Here's a link for those that haven't seen what it is: Del Sol Trans Top..

But it is still a fat pig.. laugh.gif
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

1g Supremacy

I like the Sol, as piggish as it is. I think it's more a CRX then the 2nd gen...What's the 2nd gen renaissance? The 3rd gen was new, and it was different..That's what a CRX should be.

I wouldn't want a '97 thou. They took away the foglights..Lol. I'd want a '93 or 94. With the transtop. tongue.gif They didn't sell them in the US, but they're not very hard to get. Seen quite a few USDM cars with them.

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
Yes the 85 had a lower final drive. However the 86-87 had a lower first gear ratio which balanced out the initial acceleration.
Overall though, the 85 did end up with better gearing than the 86-87.

Really, it's all about the lightweight! If I could loose 50 pounds ... um, I'd be dead! laugh.gif My car on the other hand, I would be very happy to lose 150 pounds! cool.gif

CSPCRX

Per some very reputable sources at Honda the 85 has a hotter cam. If you look at the 85 SI cam it is stamped R1. Not sure if its more lift or duration. Cant remember off hand. Been using them for years.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

smashfascism

• TURBO ZC!!!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Turbo ZC, 1997 GMC Jimmy, 1991 Chevy pickup, 1989 Prelude SI, 1991 CRX HF, 1980 Chevy Stake bed (Bogger)
QUOTE (PacerRacerGirl @ Sep 8 2004, 11:17 PM)
I dunno about the hotter cam or anything like that but the CRX specs on this site: http://kumo.swcp.com.../crx/specs.html list the 85 as being 1890 pounds and the 86-87 being 1953.

Both of the 85's Si's I've seen weighed have been in the high 1700 pound range. And these are Stock cars! The 85 I raced against at the Wendover Pro-Solo was neck and neck with me to the 60 foot mark ... and I had 80 HP and 70 ft/lb torque on him! (And 800 more pounds  huh.gif ) ...And my car runs mid 15's in the quarter!
Both our cars are stock!  (I left him behind after that, but the pesky bugger caught me and passed me in the twisties on the way back!)

Yes the 85 Si was lighter, and lighter is much better.  wink.gif
...Unless you are crashing.  sad.gif

my car only weighs 1,834 lbs........ and it is a 87.. hmm and that info is straight from the title.
WTB- Turbo Parts: Turbo, Wastegate, FMIC, BOV

FS- Crx and Integra parts, lots of stuff just ask.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
The '85 Si came with 13" tires while the later cars came with 14" and that can make a big difference in percieved and measured performance. The narrower body of the '85 is also a help.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

ChrisF-dude