• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Baxter, Don't mistake what Shadowboy said to mean your black top scenario. What he was trying to explain was the choice of Prelude parts. When he said 2nd Gen he meant the 88-91 Civic blacktop engine which is quite different than the 88-89 Teg blacktop. Capiche? That's a whole different kettle of fish. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
I'm a little mixed up.. To clarify, which ZC do you want to do the swap with?? A 1G ZC block ("brown top" with valve cover bolts in the middle of the cover) and use the 2G ZC ("black top" with the valve cover bolts on the outer edge of the valve cover) head?? Or something else?? I would like to know if the 2G ZC head would work on the 1G block.. dry.gif

The mixup usually happens with the "black top's".. In N. America we got 2 different 1G D16A1's (86-87 "brown" and the 88-89 "black" wink.gif ) which are like the 1G ZC's... However we didn't get the 2G ZC that came in the EF series Civic's and CRX's... Yes it is crazy and a little weird, but it is what it is..
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 JDM CRX-Pro, '84 JDM CRX DOHC, & '84 JDM 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
Yep, thats right - I want to put a JDM black-top (cam cover bolts on the outside, from a g2 CRX) head on a JDM brown-top (bolts on the inside) block in a g1 CRX.

I have no problems with the electrics (actually I want the black-top head so I can use the electronic advance dizzy for a turbo instal).

I have a complete black-top sitting in a garage - but I'm a bit loathed to take the head of a running car if someone alreadly knows if it will fit or not....

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (baxter @ Aug 25 2004, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (shadowboy @ Aug 25 2004, 07:28 AM)
the 2nd gen uses the 88-91 prelude timing belt.   they still use the 86-89 head gasket.

the  timing belt is because of the smaller cam pulleys.

Sweet.

So I'll need to use the black top's crank pulley and belt as well, yeah?

Or should I use the brown top's cam pulleys on the black-top's cams instead?

all D16A1s use the same cam pulleys. it is only the EF civic type ZC that uses the smaller pulleys.

so you will either need to use the crank timing pulley from the EF ZC, or the cam pulleys from your brown top D16A1. using the brown top cam pulleys results in a complication though.

due to the smaller pulleys on the EF civic black top ZC, the exhaust cam is keyed differently. if you use your D16A1 cam pulleys on the EF ZC cams, the timing marks will NOT line up (the holes at the #1 cam cap will still line up to TDC, the marks on the pulley will not, however).

if you use the EF ZC crank timing pulley with an 88-91 prelude timing belt, you should be ok.

Edited by shadowboy, 30 August 2004 - 08:16 AM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

ZCRX87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si 93 Bonneville SSEI "almost as fast as crx"
    • Image Gallery
the pistons in the brown top are flat which would make lower compression then the black top. the connecting rods in the browntop are thicker then the blacktop. you can't change out crank pulleys. you have to use the timing gears that match the crank pulley. the crank shaft in the browntop is thinner then the blacktop. i have a browntop block with blacktop crank rods and pistons. i am using a blacktop head with vacume advance. i have tries all of the scnerios and i know almost all the diffrences between the two blocks and heads.

ZCRX87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
what is a ef zc? i don't know what gears mine had stock because mine came with str gears but they are smaller then the browntop gears. does this mean my zc is a ef zc? is thet good or bad?

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Wicked so, a black-top head should bolt on to the brown-top block if I use the black-top crank pulley?

And I'll get a compression decrease as a bouns, yeah!

Now off to find a black-top dizzy to complete the combo...

ZCRX87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
if you are using a browntop block, only a browntop crank pulley will fit on it. you use a browntop block, crank pulley and timing gears with a blacktop head.

Edited by ZCRX87, 31 August 2004 - 06:57 PM.

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Thanks for all that.

I'll let you all know how progress goes...