Drove The 'si' Today

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
So I finally got the blue hatch ready for a drive.... Took it around the block once to center the steering wheel, and coming around the last corner I punched it real quick and spun the inside tire, which is real impressive, considering driving the bulldog for so long...

Here is what it looked like going out:

Quite fugly, I need to paint the hood (along with the rest of the car, I think) and get the signal lenses in, cut the bumper and add some lips, and remove the 'S' logo from the header panel. Its got a lot of work it needs, including some TLC in the form of detailing, but who cares? Its fast!

I took it to NAPA to show off, and did a nice peelout (Video) D15A3 Power got me a nice 46 foot burnout.

Then I drove out to CRXDan's and we tore up the town maxing our cars, seeing how fast each is, and its so very close.... His car is faster by about a car length... but man do I love the feel of the power in mine. Its pretty slow up until you hit 4000 rpm, then it just wakes right up and rips hard all the way to redline... such a nice glassy smooth roar to it... I love my car!

Took some good pics of CRXDan's car and mine at SFU....

The rest is in my gallery

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Surestick

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX. Upgrades (so far) Illuminas on all four corners, new rims & tires & Eldo's carb mod. Needs some rust repair. 1993 Civic Si as a daily driver that I have sworn to keep stock (so $$ can go to the CRX).
Do you have an LSD in there?
The equal length burnout tracks suggest you do... Or have I watched too much DaVinci's Inquest tonight & need something to exercise my detective skills on? cool.gif

Looks nice!

Edited by Surestick, 05 April 2004 - 01:47 AM.

Tomoyo

o___o! Holy crap! I haven't been keeping up..That's the D15A3 swap? It really puts that much power to the wheels? It really makes THAT much difference? D15A3..That's the stock 86-87 Si engine, isn't it? I never imagined it actually put down that much power. What other mods are done to the engine?

Edited by Tomoyo, 05 April 2004 - 03:15 AM.

user posted image

I are Corey

• ...how dare you
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si Hatchback
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
haha when i first got this car i didn't know how to drive a 5-speed and i was at this red light. light turned green and i acidentally did about the same burnout you did.

haha it was funny cause i was so proud of myself afterwards

<span style='color:red'>SportInjectedClub</span>

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Believe it or not, there is no LSD in that transmission. Just seems that they both spin... and that is a stock D15A3... 91hp.... I LOVE IT! The car is very fast, much faster than I thought it would be. I know there is something that needs to be tuned, though, because power doesn't come alive until 4000 rpm, there isn't too much midrange, which makes me think my timing is out, so I am going to check that today. Its going to be everything in my power to just NOT drive this car now!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

87civic si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic si, 92 ford explorer
My power range doesn't hit untill 4000 rpm either. I found the perfect launch on stock rims and tires is 2500 and mine also spins both tires. They must have some type of lsd from the factory but I really don't know.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I checked timing today and found that it was advanced about 4 degrees (just past the outer timing mark, about where it would be if there were another mark spaced evenly, if you know what I mean) so I brought timing to stock, scribed the dizzy for it, then retarded it fully, scribed the dizzy, advanced the timing about 2 degrees (to the second outer timing mark) scribed the dizzy, and then advanced it about 6-8 degrees and scribed it.

I left the setting at about 16 degrees BTDC, about 2 degrees of advance, but 2 less than what I had, and now power is nice and smooth from 3500 up to redline, as opposed to getting it all at 4000, so now the powerband pulls nicely at a little lower RPM, which I prefer better. At the track I will test the stock timing, 2 degrees advance, and 6-8 degrees and see which produces a better time.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

nivek2002

NICE burnout! That half laugh at the end cracks me up though laugh.gif

balladeSports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Good for you buddy. looks like your hard work is paying off.
I'm impressed.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
My accomplices are not very good at making a dramatic video.... If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

Jordan

• Yea, I drive a POS...so what?
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Si, 1986 Honda Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
yea i can keep a good burnout in my Si. expecially with the replaced clutch haha. yea i can even spin goin into 2nd & if i hit it right, chirp in 3rd

CRXdan

ill admit, the car is damn quick.
Remeber its a 86 civic 1300dx chassis, so crx si's, watch out! haha
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
hehe, i've barked 2nd in my heavy-ass, down-on-power integra.

can't wait to see what a D16A1 in a g1 HF will do wink.gif
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

19CRX85

• Financially challenged
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Red '85 CRX DX, Black '85 CRX Si, Races: '87 Accord
CHEATER! I can see you grabbing the e-brake right before you dump the clutch in your video! BUSTED! (sounds great though Mark!) ph34r.gif
~ Racing for the Son ~

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well of course I did! You gotta do that to hold it as long as you can.... and if you notice.... the e-brake didn't do much dry.gif

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub