• You cannot reply to this topic
69 replies to this topic

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
QUOTE (Tim @ Oct 14 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, just returned from initial test drive.

WHOOAAAH! Wayy more power! Much better torque curve. Upper end is strong up to 7k. And I DO mean strong.

Who would have thought that working that intake, new head gasket, milling of head, and general overall tuning would have freed up this much horsepower?

It pulls hard, even in 4th gear.

And still haven't even gotten the nitrous tank filled. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif unsure.gif

Now, just gotta sell a kidney or something... biggrin.gif

Just stay on the ramen a while and get yourself back out of debt. It was a good investment in my opinion - ok the nitrous is debatable - but you have a solid vehicle again and a fun one to boot. I don't think you'll be sorry. It's always a triumph in a way when one of these old girls is resurrected rather than disintegrating into pieces of someone else's project. Well done.

"GReddy e-manage" is excellent in the generality and the expansion. And it is a low price further.Therefore, you can direct an engine too economy, easily. Then, you are relieved, and you can choose it. Future tuning begins first from "e".

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
Thanks, Grant, I agree. The nitrous was only 300, and was new in box. Sold for 700 new, and while I won't use it that much, or at all, it would help the car to sell if I got in a bad way, financially speaking.

My mechanic slipped up and told me what I'll end up paying...

around 400-600. That's for a felpro gasket, labor, tuning, nitrous install, and a TON of love.

He's my close friend, and I'll pay whatever he asks, but I can't help but think he's doing me a helluva favor. Besides, every person that visits his shop, he points out my car. I think he's kinda proud of it, and he's a dyed in the wool mopar/chevy guy. Remember, he's got a 1000 hp Regal just sitting in his shop.

The CRX love wins another fan!

Any of you rpr'ers from clarksville and nashville, you should visit this guy (soycory, old school rex, and someone from Clarksville come to mind..)

Van Meter and Son,
Auburn, Ky, 42206.

1-270-542-6826.

Great bunch of guys. And make sure to ask about Bugs the Labrador, who fetches 16'' tires. No shite.
Cannot drive with the window up

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
That seems very reasonable. I think you came out really well on that one, definitely a "friend" price.

Grant
"GReddy e-manage" is excellent in the generality and the expansion. And it is a low price further.Therefore, you can direct an engine too economy, easily. Then, you are relieved, and you can choose it. Future tuning begins first from "e".

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Okay, the nitrous is installed, and aside from my switch panel (which I fabbed myself...shards of metal in my fingers..) it is ready to go.

Test run is TOMORROW!

Some photos with an Iphone.

Dwayne, doin' his thang...
http://flic.kr/p/8LL5uA

and the engine bay, non-cleaned up, but ready to rock.

Cross thy fingers, that the ARP studs I probably didn't need hold it all together.

I'm sorry for not making the photos available, but I'll be damned if I can figure out why this website, and ONLY this website makes it seemingly impossible to post photos. The gallery? A bust. Flickr? Tried it all, just can't make it happen. Tells me i'm not allowed to use that image extension.

I've never had luck here on RPR. I post photos online everywhere else. What am I doing wrong?

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
http://flic.kr/p/8LL4GE

jweber89

• 1986年ホンダシビッ
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic CRX DX(sold), 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si
I'm liking the set up Tim. Looks like he did a good job. By the way, I believe I'm the one from clarksville you are thinking of. As soon as I get my ZC running and start using the rex as a dd again, I'll be sure to pay ol boy a visit. Thanks for the info!

Jeff

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (jweber89 @ Oct 20 2010, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm liking the set up Tim. Looks like he did a good job. By the way, I believe I'm the one from clarksville you are thinking of. As soon as I get my ZC running and start using the rex as a dd again, I'll be sure to pay ol boy a visit. Thanks for the info!

Jeff

indeed, you are! When I was typing, that, I couldn't remember. Anyway, he's a great guy, and a fastidious mechanic. Really gets his brain involved.

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm sorry for not making the photos available, but I'll be damned if I can figure out why this website, and ONLY this website makes it seemingly impossible to post photos. The gallery? A bust. Flickr? Tried it all, just can't make it happen. Tells me i'm not allowed to use that image extension.

I've never had luck here on RPR. I post photos online everywhere else. What am I doing wrong?

I'm with you. I used the gallery to host the pictures of a seat rebuild I did a while back. Getting the pictures up took hours. I don't know what the deal is. But I am generally inexperienced with posting pictures online so my .02 probably doesn't count for much.

Grant

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
So today, I finished up the switch panel (so damn cool, made it with some old tin, and vinyl, and 3 switches...master "on" bottle heater, and the"GO" button)

All wires were run, and used my buddies tank, as mine is new and empty.

Started with 35 hp, and while going up a hill in too low a gear got some detonation (or just valve clatter)...but...

DAMN! Only 35 hp shot made that thing come alive!!!!

Cannot wait to go 75. Still, this is a once or twice down the track affair. Can't afford the juice, but God is it fun. tongue.gif

Will use 93 octane + 105 booster from now own. Today only on 93.

Pics will follow. Remember, it ain't paid for yet....

Tim

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
The latest....

went to a 50 horse shot...she broke traction at 50 mph!

No schiesse!

Well, today, had a power steering belt go out (yeah, yeah, I know...our cars don't have it...well, mine does. Last owner demanded it) and on the way out, apparently it took out my alternator belt.

Yet another strike against my much-maligned 225 cca Braille-made battery. The thing starts the car fine (new starter today helped) but sure doesn't have any backup juice. Friend of mine loves his, same amperage, running a stroke and bored 383 chevy caprice (runs high 11's) but my mechanic despises it.

Tomorrow's another day. tongue.gif