Getting Car Painted How To Prep It?

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
Don't know about the last comment, as I've seen some decent Macco jobs. That was definitely an issue with the shop's competency or trying to do shortcuts. The problem with spray cans is that the paint is relatively thin, making difficult to color sand without sanding thru. It is also a solvent based paint which isn't nearly as hard as a catalyzed paint. Ounce for ounce, catalyzed paint costs more which should tell you something. Granted, having a "budget" paint job is hit or miss, most rattlecan jobs I've seen is a miss. People have shown pics of acceptable rattlecan jobs, but without having seen them in person, I'll just say that it is a miss.

1stgenhybridCR-X

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 crx

I can confirm the last comment, there are many horror stories of macco paint jobs for a reason, the people i know and that i have asked about macco paint that have said the paint lasts about a year roughly if driven regularly and there is overspray everywhere, their orange peel paint starts to chip off rapidly, if possible to get a slightly higher grade paint job from another shop without getting up there in price i would do it and ask for urethane based paint and a 2 stage paint base and then clear

Edited by 1stgenhybridCR-X, 21 June 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.

I paid the mega bucks for a peach paint job on a mustang.  The mega ambassador king base and clear mixed in.

Basically it is all the same paint and the only difference is they do tape better for the extra money.

14 months later it was oxydized down to nothing.  Looked 20 years old.

Their warranty is from under the paint out, not from the outside in (oxydizing and looking like its been

in a back yard 10 years).

I made a friend of a friend of a friend that repainted it for $800 off the books in the ford dealership, $70k

spray booth.  It looked like it just came off the factory floor.

Find somebody that does side work off the books.  Or as a hobby for extra money.

I had my honda done basecoat clearcoat at a professional shop way back and it was

$500 (I had to buy the paint).

The shop was owner-operator and the brother of a co worker.

Painting a car is no different than painting a kitchen chair.  You just use better paint and

better preparation.  (most body shops lead you to believe it is elfin magic)

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
A professional shop, doing proper prep, removing all rust plus proper sealing, slick sand, primers and paints will create a paint job that should last 20 years. If it oxidized it was done wrong.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage

I say if your going to go with maaco its the same as doing a 50 dollar paint job you pay what you get and thats a cheap ass paint job.  If i was you i would spay some rustoleum and save some money over the maaco stuff ohh and if you choose rusto job you must keep it off the sunlight just like the maaco paint work they dont last much...

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread