Cracked, Rusty Door Trim Pieces

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

Conan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
Hey,

I've been looking all over for a solution to this problem, with no luck. The door trim pieces (around the door windows) on my '87 Si look horrible. The black vinyl is cracked, peeling, and mostly missing. The underlying mild steel has rusted badly, and it left rust stains running down my doors' paint. Almost every old Honda I've ever seen has this problem, but I can't find any aftermarket parts or other solutions to the problem.

If I can't find replacements, I guess the only thing to do is to remove the strips, sand 'em down, and paint or powdercoat them. With so many custom/restored old Hondas out there, surely somebody has come up with a solution to this. I can see how the top-of-door piece can probably be deleted, but the flat piece that sits at the bottom of the window can't. (If you roll down your driver's side window and hang your arm out the window, it's resting on the part I'm talking about.)

Help!

(Thanks)

Edited by Conan, 17 June 2011 - 10:44 AM.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
i have the same problem and have talked to a few guys, best solution I have found is sand them down and paint them
The Original CR-Z driver

Conan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (JEA86 @ Jun 17 2011, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have the same problem and have talked to a few guys, best solution I have found is sand them down and paint them

How do you about getting them off? I have the "real deal" shop manual, but not here at work. I just wonder if there is any trick to removing them w/o ruining them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Honda manual calls for a special tool...

I went to the local dealer and did a look-up. The flat pieces on the bottom are called 75800-SB2-003 Molding Assy, R, and 75805-SB2-003, Molding Assy, L. I didn't get the numbers for the top pieces. I suppose it goes without saying that you can't get those parts from Honda. Don't see much point in trying to find salvage parts, as they're always about as bad as mine.

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage
I had taken my off and painted them. They turned out pretty good. Now I remember back in the early 80's there was a all weather black in color tape that you could use to recover these areas. It looked like black electrical tape. I believe it was called Black out tape. I have looked for the stuff for sometime now but to no luck. Back them Jc whitney had it. Anyway had told my bro about it and he said. They still use it in the us army for aircraft like the Black hawks and others. Cool stuff.

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
I'm currently trying to rehab my driver's side trim with limited sucess. I cut off some of the vinyl since the dew wipe is part of the vinyl casing. I used plastic dip applied with a foam brush. It's very uneven. I thought it might lay out a bit better than it does. I guess it's better than nothing.

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
The TOP molding around the windows is rather easy to remove, you just have to be bold/brave to do it.

Just pull the strip upward (hard) and (just before it feels like it will break) it pops right off. Installation is the reverse of removal.

My plan to fix mine are to remove them, take a grinder to them to remove all of the old remaining vinyl, and then re-paint with Duplicolor Trim Paint. I love this stuff!

Other's have actually had good success with covering the strap in black electrical tape.

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Misread the original post. The proper name for the moldings at the bottom of door windows is "belt moldings"

If memory serves, there is a philips screw hidden under the mirrors holding on the front of the belt moldings. After this philips screw is removed you just have to carefully press down, twist the inner edge away from the inside of the door and lift. You'll need to repeat this several times as you make your way down the length of the door.

To remove the mirrors you need to pop the end of the adjustment handle off, remove the tiny screw, slide of the handle, pop off the triangle plastic cover, undo the 3 screws/bolts. I suggest leaving the top screw for last and be sure to hold onto the mirror as you're removing it.

Conan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (OG Wagon @ Jun 19 2011, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The TOP molding around the windows is rather easy to remove, you just have to be bold/brave to do it.

Just pull the strip upward (hard) and (just before it feels like it will break) it pops right off. Installation is the reverse of removal.

I see that the lower ones have a screw or two that hold them in, but I can't see any fasteners on the top (rain gutter) one. So, you just grab the thing in the middle and try to wrench it off? I looked through the (real deal Honda) shop manual, and those gutters are never mentioned anywhere. There's a ton of pictures of the sunroof, but none of the edges of the roof. Their not in the door drawings, either.

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
I just left mine off. It helps that I just got the car painted, but here's what it looks like without them.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Conan @ Jun 21 2011, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see that the lower ones have a screw or two that hold them in, but I can't see any fasteners on the top (rain gutter) one. So, you just grab the thing in the middle and try to wrench it off? I looked through the (real deal Honda) shop manual, and those gutters are never mentioned anywhere. There's a ton of pictures of the sunroof, but none of the edges of the roof. Their not in the door drawings, either.

That's right, there are no screws in the top one.

I just stepped out and looked, found 2 screws in the bottom one. One behind the mirror, and one at the back of the door behind the thick foam filler/seal bit. You can just pull the top of the foam away from the door to access the screw.

Conan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Awesome. Thanks EB.

calicoupe

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Go EF Yourself!
great thread and thank you again EB!
DO NOT PM. PLEASE EMAIL ME.

Email = tor.parts at gmail dot com

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
One of my very first projects, it was going to be pretty bad ass, i shaved the door handles, the moulding and made it ultra light. Anyways, what im trying to show in the picture below is the shaved moldings.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

black87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 honda crx si
QUOTE (Conan @ Jun 17 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey,

I've been looking all over for a solution to this problem, with no luck. The door trim pieces (around the door windows) on my '87 Si look horrible. The black vinyl is cracked, peeling, and mostly missing. The underlying mild steel has rusted badly, and it left rust stains running down my doors' paint. Almost every old Honda I've ever seen has this problem, but I can't find any aftermarket parts or other solutions to the problem.

If I can't find replacements, I guess the only thing to do is to remove the strips, sand 'em down, and paint or powdercoat them. With so many custom/restored old Hondas out there, surely somebody has come up with a solution to this. I can see how the top-of-door piece can probably be deleted, but the flat piece that sits at the bottom of the window can't. (If you roll down your driver's side window and hang your arm out the window, it's resting on the part I'm talking about.)

Help!

(Thanks)

sand them down and use rustoleam glossy black spray paint
was up my name is antonio I <3 MY HONDA!

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
WOW came out great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the water leak into your windows?

QUOTE (hondaguy72 @ Jun 21 2011, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just left mine off. It helps that I just got the car painted, but here's what it looks like without them.