• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Honda civic, fuel injected
    Garage View Garage
Almost done with my hg job.......yesterday I cleaned the block really good, put on the new hg, put on my rebuilt head i got thurs....., i adjusted my valve lashes on my valves and rocker arms....and torqued the hg bolts down in the specified pattern and torque.....
I started installing the new head studs for the intake mani and its gasket......i droped a stud in the timing cover and almost s+++ my pants but I took a deep breath and got my magnetic tool extender and fished it out after about 30 mins, lol.....

So now i'm gonna reassemble everything with the new gaskets , and clamp and tighten everything down....I might be done tonight or tue since I have college tommorow and homework tonight, I'm going to get cigs in about an hr, and then back to the car I go.....

i guess my last question for this hg repair is ( assuming no other probs arise) is I want to make sure my cam isn't a 180 degrees off....I'm kinda scared of doing all this work and then bending my valves putting me back at square one again , ( I'd go insane! ), so how do i make sure my cam is EXACTLY where it needs to be? i have my crank at t.d.c., and my cam gear and marks lined up....It looks the way it did when I removed it although this is a rebuilt head ( within height spec of 3.520, mines 3.535)
so i was told a shim was not needed for the timing....I just wanna make sure before i turn my key that my valves are in perfect synch with the crank.....I know some people don't like me on here anymore and thats fine, people are always a "clicky" thing, so ..hopefully if you wanna talk cars and are not gonna bash me about asking too many questions on this website, then please reply to this post! last i heard this is a free country and if you think I've been posting too much on this site then ...++++ +++

so...how do i get my cam setting perfect and not at 180 degrees.....
my distributer is at the number 1 firing position like its supposed to be ...is that proof I'm not 180 degrees off? since the cam and distributer only go on one way...everythings aligned right and
set t.d.c. on the crank.......is it true on this motor that if I was 180 degrees off the distributer would be firing at the # 4 cylinder instead of the #1 cylinder? I really do not wanna bend my new valves... smile.gif

Edited by metal_guitar76, 13 March 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Driving down the road, stereo cranked !!!

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
whos been bashing you? show me this bashing i will take care of them quick like! we shall have no bashing here! unless you have altezzas then i cannot help you...

GET ER DUN! come on a HG doesnt take but a day!

no really good job for doing it yourself. have you read the service manual about replacing the head gasket? it should tell you how to do it. its been so long since ive done one that i forget how you check. i just know i havent done it wrong... lol

seriously who doesnt like you?
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 13 2011, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whos been bashing you? show me this bashing i will take care of them quick like! we shall have no bashing here! unless you have altezzas then i cannot help you...

GET ER DUN! come on a HG doesnt take but a day!

no really good job for doing it yourself. have you read the service manual about replacing the head gasket? it should tell you how to do it. its been so long since ive done one that i forget how you check. i just know i havent done it wrong... lol

seriously who doesnt like you?

i've been taking time on the repair, I'm also a music teacher and full time college student so just having available time is a little hard sometimes....

oh yea...got a manuel and 70 pages of print out info....

not looking to name names...or cause trouble...

what do u think of my 180 degrees off questions?

Edited by metal_guitar76, 13 March 2011 - 01:17 PM.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
Everybody here likes you bro.

I think you might have posted the same question in a couple of posts and some ppl might have said something.

You have to remember, there are not a lot of these cars left out there now, and although this IS the best site going,
it sometimes takes some time to get an answer you are looking for.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
The step where you turn the engine by hand 2 full cycles and double check your cam timing takes care of making sure things are set up right. (the crank will turn 360* 4 times, twice per cycle)
If you've got something horribly amiss timing wise you'll encounter the interference then, but since you'll be turning it by hand (with the spark plugs out so compression doesn't interfere) you won't do any damage if there is an issue.

But with the care you're taking, there probably won't be.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
hey man sorry about that other post. bad few nights and mood. hope i havent scared you away form here. i know how you feel about the bashing. when i came here about 4 yrs ago i got bashed for my post that my spelling was hard to read.
but for your job good to here tits this far. for another way to tell if your cam is right setup your distibitor on the cam and have the spark cap on. if your rotor is between 4 and 1 position then your good to go.
i have also droped items down the timing belt area. a bolt that ended in turning the whole engine over adn oil everywhere. and then canging my cam gear i lost the key. that was a hour to fish out.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (metal_guitar76 @ Mar 13 2011, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what do u think of my 180 degrees off questions?

No you could not have the camshaft out 180* because for every 360* rotation of the crank the camshaft will only rotate 180*.
That is why you have to turn the engine over 2 times to get back to the timing marks for the crank and camshaft to line up.
Jeff

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ Mar 13 2011, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No you could not have the camshaft out 180* because for every 360* rotation of the crank the camshaft will only rotate 180*.
That is why you have to turn the engine over 2 times to get back to the timing marks for the crank and camshaft to line up.
Jeff

I'm good, I'm not gonna be a whiny baby bout anything....... its all good 3 gen..no worries......maybe my mind gets racing with questions and I'm like" I gotta ask on the internet, "ya know? .....its one thing to read a manuel(which is fine and i do anyway) its another to talk to people on places like here so one can get 1st hand knowledge and experience with repairs......

anyway, got my intake mani on, but I need special bolts to finish the exhaust mani....theres not much room and the studs i got ain't cuttin it,.....so, i got school tommorow (mon) and i work tue, I'm gonna fire her up in a couple of days.....I know everyones like "u can do a hg job in a day and all, but since I've never done it before, I've done a lot of research and took my time......(plus waiting for a week for damn parts) sad.gif

since the distributer and cam only go on one way, I believe I'm good to go.....the cams lined up exactly and the distributer is lined up exactly like it was when I did the removal/tear down....
I'll heed the info posted above this reply......i believe i understand the 360 degree crank and 180 degree cam thing....i'll just turn the crank twice and make sure I'm good to go.....

one more question......when i time my crank with the timing light when I'm totally done, what do i do if my distributer wont go any further down to speed up the timing......looking at my distributer adjustment bolt......its close or is maxed out toward the front bumper.....before i did this hg repair i had no timing issue and my car always cranked right up on a dime......can i adjust something in the distributer or somewhere else to get more play in the distributer adjustment bolt??

Edited by metal_guitar76, 13 March 2011 - 10:25 PM.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (metal_guitar76 @ Mar 13 2011, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one more question......when i time my crank with the timing light when I'm totally done, what do i do if my distributer wont go any further down to speed up the timing......looking at my distributer adjustment bolt......its close or is maxed out toward the front bumper.....before i did this hg repair i had no timing issue and my car always cranked right up on a dime......can i adjust something in the distributer or somewhere else to get more play in the distributer adjustment bolt??

There's nothing really that you can "Adjust."
But you really shouldn't need to. Maxing out the dizy is a good sign that either your vacuum advance isn't hooked up right/not working, or that the can is off a tooth.

Don't adjust idle speed using advance (I've seen people try to do this)
Set the advance then adjust idle speed using the thumb screw on the carb.

You're doing fine, can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Mar 14 2011, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's nothing really that you can "Adjust."
But you really shouldn't need to. Maxing out the dizy is a good sign that either your vacuum advance isn't hooked up right/not working, or that the can is off a tooth.

Don't adjust idle speed using advance (I've seen people try to do this)
Set the advance then adjust idle speed using the thumb screw on the carb.

You're doing fine, can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

apreciate all your help in this repair......i feel like you've done half the work for me, lol smile.gif

is it bad to move the cam a tooth forward on purpose if i need to?

Edited by metal_guitar76, 14 March 2011 - 09:56 AM.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (metal_guitar76 @ Mar 14 2011, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
apreciate all your help in this repair......i feel like you've done half the work for me, lol smile.gif

is it bad to move the cam a tooth forward on purpose if i need to?

Yes. You don't want to mess with cam timing to adjust ignition timing. With ignition timing you have quite a bit of "play" where the car will still run fine. You can be out some degrees and have no real ill effects. With cam timing, you want to be as dead on as you can make it.

If for some reason you can't get the ignition timing to set right, and you're absolutely sure the cam timing is right, start looking for other faults. Because you should not have adjustment range issues with everything working right.

But I won't get into it until we get to that bridge. No sense cluttering things up if you don't even encounter such a problem.

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Mar 15 2011, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. You don't want to mess with cam timing to adjust ignition timing. With ignition timing you have quite a bit of "play" where the car will still run fine. You can be out some degrees and have no real ill effects. With cam timing, you want to be as dead on as you can make it.

If for some reason you can't get the ignition timing to set right, and you're absolutely sure the cam timing is right, start looking for other faults. Because you should not have adjustment range issues with everything working right.

But I won't get into it until we get to that bridge. No sense cluttering things up if you don't even encounter such a problem.

true that, i'll set the cam marks and belt dead on then........

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (metal_guitar76 @ Mar 13 2011, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can i adjust something in the distributor or somewhere else to get more play in the distributor adjustment bolt??

This might work:

Jeff

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ Mar 15 2011, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This might work:

Jeff

yep...did that in the tear down......it always makes me nervous to disconnect that vaccum devise, ya know?

do u mean adjusting the vaccum devise itself since its connected to the dizzy? how would i do that?

Edited by metal_guitar76, 16 March 2011 - 02:32 PM.

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
well...i'm tottally done with my hg repair......finished it a couple of days ago and its hard to describe with words the way it felt to finnally turn the key and hear the car start
right up.....i appreciate all you guys help with questions and I'm glad to be a part of the online community here, again....thanx to everyone who helped with tricky questions....