K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
385 replies to this topic

CSPCRX

That’s the combination off the RBB manifold and the 50 degree RBC VTC gear.  Since I knew that I was going to be able to meet my limit goal of 220 wheel hp I wanted the most torque possible to pull the car from upshifts and out of the corners.  This is also why I stayed with the RBB manifold for now, best option for torque on a stock motor.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage

That’s the combination off the RBB manifold and the 50 degree RBC VTC gear.  Since I knew that I was going to be able to meet my limit goal of 220 wheel hp I wanted the most torque possible to pull the car from upshifts and out of the corners.  This is also why I stayed with the RBB manifold for now, best option for torque on a stock motor.

Sound logic, Vic.

My car will end up much “tamer”. Although I may have a second set of better wheels & tires, I plan using the stock wheels mostly; severely limiting tire size and traction. Ordered my W2M5 on Monday. Been looking at engines. A K20A Type R fell through today due to slightly weaker compression in 1 cyl. So not really settled yet on that vs a JDM K24A. Once that’s decided, I’ll know which direction for FD. Will likely end up with 2 tunes; one for each wheel & tire set.
Bob

CSPCRX

What’s your plans for the car?  Will this be a track car or primarily a street car.  If you do plan on tracking the car what type of events Solo2/autocross, open track events/HPDE, or drag racing?

this may help direct where you go.  If you’re looking mostly at street driving with the occasional fun day at the track a K20 may be a better option.  I went K24 because I mostly track HPDE and time attack and having the extra torque to pull me out of the corners and we are classed by wheel hp.  So for me I was maxed at 220, which I could get from either a K20 or K24.  The difference being the K24 makes far more torque and that can provide an advantage at times during track events.  Can also make the car more difficult to drive, just can mash the throttle have to ease in.  

just how I landed at the K24

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2016 Accord, ‘87 CRX Si (2 - neither running), ‘60’s Vettes (2), ‘67 911S, '70 914-6, '95 F150.
    Garage View Garage
Im pretty far outside the norm for guys swapping engines into Hondas.

The 87 Si I had from 86-93 is atop my list of favorite performance / sports cars alongside my 914/6. Ive longed for a VTEC powered AF since reading in Autoweek of the EF SiRs introduction.

Now Im retired and cell phone cameras are everywhere, I drive much more conservatively.

Build priorities are focused on creating a refined rendition of a VTEC AF which retains a stock OE appearance (including the Si wheels). Maximizing engine output is not top priority; not concerned whether the cars K24 or K20 powered. I slightly preferred a K20A, because of its rev-happy nature. More important is a trouble free car at a reasonable cost. Really want something I can get in and drive anywhere anytime in good weather.

Another factor is my 25 yo daughter. She lived in Germany for a couple of years, and drove manual transmission cars. Back home today, she expresses interest in driving a stick, and in my AF. So Im planning for the future possibility it may become hers one day. So it makes sense not to make it too edgy. This is contrary to most all my previous cars.

After the K20A Type R fell through yesterday, I got pictures and videos showing my JDM K24A2 option looks good. I ordered it. Wont have the K20A Type R vibes, but the K24 cost about a third as much. Some may question this, but MFactory will soon sell a 3.41 : 1 FD that I can put in while installing a limited slip in the W2M5. IMHO thatll be fine. Itll provide about 87% of the 1st gear torque multiplication as the wimpy D15A3s tranny. More than offset by the K24. Comparing my plan with the K20A Type R, my swap will have about 77% of the Type R; but the AF weighs about 75%. And it will result in a leisurely 2314 rpm at 60 mph with 185/60-14 tires.

Im happily looking forward to digging in to the project.

Edited by rufusbob, 09 April 2023 - 05:07 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

Makes sense. LSD is a must, mines getting a workout

I drove mine from my house to HASport yesterday to do the final video on the project.  Had a lot of fun during the 45 min drive!  

the car just pulls and seems to never run out of pull no matter what gear.  Got on at a nice long on-ramp and was able to really run through the gears and hit the shift points.  Many what a rocket!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Manuzzz

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 civic si
First time post here, but Ive been keeping a very close eye on the progression of this swap. I can honestly say Ive tried to swap my 87si with no luck using a different set of mounts. I am wanting to buy the mounts, the clutch master adapter, and axles all in one fell swoop when the timing is right on my end. Hopefully I can get my k24a2 in its final resting spot in the summer time. Anyway, love the progress and all the pics/videos that have been shared.

Also, maybe this was mentioned in a previous post, are you running 1g integra brakes/hubs? Wanting to see what axle options will be provided or what is recommended.

Edited by Manuzzz, 07 April 2023 - 12:40 PM.

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Hi Manuzzz. Welcome!

I havent done so yet, but plan to contact Hasport for a rundown on everything they offer for K swapping our cars. Their products are #1 IMHO

Quoting CSP:

Axles - From page 17 on 14 November 22 earlier in this thread:
test fit the first production version of the axles.

CSP: please correct me if Im wrong, but I believe Hasport is or will sell these.

Brakes - From page 9 on 1 May 22 earlier in this thread:
for years I ran on upgraded civic brakes from a non ABS car with hawk pads. I think I posted on this a while back. This served me well under heavy track use and would be plenty for street use. My new setup is a Wilwood caliper with 11 in rotors. This is way more than anyone needs for the street and requires 15 in wheels. Check out FastBrakes website as they have some great budget options on there.

Edited by rufusbob, 07 April 2023 - 11:54 PM.

Bob

CSPCRX

Correct HASport will sell axels as well as the mount kit.  Integra knuckles/hubs are what you need to work with the axles. I have been running these since putting the B series in back in 1999.

the clutch hydro conversion will most likely be sold by Hush Performance, Brian has not decided yet.  He plans on posting a complete list of parts, I am actually reviewing the list now, as well as wiring diagrams

happy to answer any questions.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Manuzzz

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 civic si
Rufusbob/CSP

I appreciate all the information and excited for everything that is released/soon to be released by Hasport and Hush.

I picked up a full 1g Integra brake/hub setup a year or so back from the junkyard, needs a refresh but glad I was able to find them as they are getting harder to come by.

Excited to see everyones cars come together and the K in these little go carts. Cant wait for some more in car videos.

CSPCRX

Mount kits are already up for sale on HASport’s website, look for AFK, that’s the kit code.  Good find on the integra parts, they are getting very hard to find.

We just got some in car and street video Thursday that are going to be used in the final video of the series on Vtec Academy on YouTube. 

with a sub 10:1 power to weight ratio it feels like a go cart more than ever.  Absolutely a blast to drive and feels like it pulls for ever and with ease.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Probably wont hurt to add a reminder in here for those who come along and dont have hubs the OP in this thread also mentioned in post #1 that Karcepts sells a 32mm hub appropriate for this swap. A more expensive source, but makes them easier to find.

Edited by rufusbob, 09 April 2023 - 12:09 AM.

Bob

rufusbob

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
In searching online for a way to determine a K24As year, I came across this 2010 post on K20A.org. There was no verification by other users, and some didnt think it possible to ID the year of manufacture. Some even described different block stamp formats used. Your opinions welcome

Quote: Just confirmed on 04-08 USDM K24A2 TSX engines. You can determine the year by the engine serial number just below the K24A2 stamping. The first digit corresponds to the year of the engine.

An engine serial number that starts with 1=2004, 2=2005, 3=2006, 4=2007 and 5=2008.

Thanks to the fellows at Acura of North Toronto, there were 4 TSXs in the shop yesterday.

Edited by rufusbob, 09 April 2023 - 12:05 AM.

Bob

CSPCRX

That’s what I found as well no real way to tell the exact year like you can on the USDM engines.

the head stamp RBB-1 vs RBB-4 will give you an idea if it’s an older or newer one but still really doesn’t tell you a year.  I searched all over when I got mine and could not find a good dating process for the JDM engines.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Cool behind the scenes from Chris who did the exhaust.  He is an outstanding fabricator!

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Final video in the series and on the build.  I will be doing some of my own as I further develop the car.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily