So What Should I Do?

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

shauno

Well,
I just bought a new toy and am in the midst of debating what to do.
As it sits, the hatch has all the right parts to make it one nice clean old school racer.
It has been an autocross car it's whole life. I have followed it's race career and know the original purchaser from new in 86.
It is a csp class car with many additions and tricks. It has a 1500 block, si head, teg pistons, custom cam, dual webbers, si tranny with mugen lsd, act clutch, autopower cage, konis, coil-overs, 27mm's, and more.
Also it is extremely mint, I mean clean.
Everything has been done over the years of progression with detail and cleanliness as priority.
I love the setup but I have to decide.
Right now the engine needs to be freshened up and tuned to eliminate the constant oil usage. So I have to pull the engine regardless.

If I'm pulling it out then should I keep it old school or should I swap in something bigger?

I know the Fi thing is timely, as I've done it many times already. But, is it worth it to build the 1500 up to it's max potential (considering I have alot of goodies anyway)?
Or, just swap it out for a 160-190hp b series fi replacement?

The stock si engine is good but what are the realistic numbers that I can achieve from it? I'm thinking probably 130hp max? Does that sound right?

I am willing to dump a few g's into the build if it would be worth it or just buy a drop in gsr motor for a good 190 hp for the same price, almost.

I know this is long but I'm not sure I should waste all the years of building this car to the point it's at now or just forget it and go big.

Any thoughts?
maybe some experiences with the 1.5 that might persuade me to keep it?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Time to kick some ricer butt!

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Im not exactly sure, but iceracercrx or something to that effect is running a weber carbed 1.5 with a turbo, just pushing under 300 hp?

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

crazi-85crx

give me that engine!... if you decide to put in a b. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

but seriously, that's a sweet powerplant and from the sounds of it, a sweet package too. IMHO you should solve the oil consumption issue then run that engine into the ground (or deeper.)

sibfox

• llllooooooo000000OOOO ~click zeeeeEEEEERRRRRRR!!!
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Hachi Roku Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ May 20 2006, 02:11 PM)
give me that engine!... if you decide to put in a b. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

but seriously, that's a sweet powerplant and from the sounds of it, a sweet package too. IMHO you should solve the oil consumption issue then run that engine into the ground (or deeper.)

I agree .. you would be supprised the amount of abuse these little ew moters can handle
3 hour hill climb up to lake tahoo with no oil no water and no money to buy either one and the little ew4 made it there. ahhh knockin and a kickin but still running wink.gif

just 1 of many things that the moter has taken and laughed at
Is there anything on these damn cars that IS hard to repair?

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
A couple of thoughts......

Right now, the suspension is set up for the engine it already has in it.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Drive the Si til it blows.

BAMCRX was selling a race engine recently. He might still have it.
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

juliansavino

i say swap in the bigger engine, and sell me the si head and dual webers.
user posted image

skierd

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX DX, 2000 Accent
Interesting to note, at least in the SCCA version of CSP (I see you're in canada), that your motor is illegal for street prepared. The custom cam, Si head, and teg pistons cant all be mismashed together as the cam and pistons are illegal flat out, and you arent allowed to just swap heads, you have to swap the entire motor.

As it sits you're in street mod anyways, I say go with a B-series.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
forget it and go big, you wont regret doing a FI B swap...... i guarantee it.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I love my D15A engine in my racecar which is almost identicle to yours but my class rules have changed and I can no longer compete with a B18c engine if I dont even have 120 HP to the ground. I am selling the engine and tranny to a buddy but am unsure if he wants the F.I. setup.
I am allowed to run the b18 but have chossen to install a B16, I have a set of Axles and HASPORT mount on order and the Tranny was taken apart for a rebuild today. It sound like you have all the bits and pcs for a strong EW engine and if you can get 120hp to the ground from one of these engines the car will fly on the track. If the track is where you are going with it? You should come out to Mission in SOLO 1 and run on the SCCBC weekends.