New Red Honda Box

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

86redboxSi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si

Hey there! So I picked up an 86 Si Civic about a month ago. It was running on 3 cylinders and had no brakes...at all. Still drove it around the neighborhood. Anyway, coming from a tweaked 5th gen Prelude SH this thing is like a go cart, and I thought that car was responsive! 

So far I've replaced the master, removed the broken spark plug and upgraded to Integra Front calipers and slotted rotors. The car stops great, but There seems to still be about 1/2 inch pedal travel before the brakes 'bite' It's only been 2 days since I got them working though so who knows? Perhaps the MS pushrod needs adjusting? I've got basic KYB Gr2's on all 4 corners now and it's a serious improvement over the busted struts,. I've also ripped out the AC system and am cleaning it out with proper AC system cleaner, in hopes of converting to r-134. Got a new Dryer and r-134 o-rings too. Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the AC compressor off the motor, just kinda wiggles back and forth after removing the 2 obvious mounting bolts. It's a Keihin if it makes any difference. I've read not to flush it, but how do I remove the old oil if I don't?

My one complaint about the car is that the idle surges some times, and the AC, when it was connected would raise the idle about 2k rpm? As it sits now the car idles at around 1200, but when I bought it, it was rock steady at 900. I'm not sure what changed, except maybe the little mushroom shaped vacuum canister on my firewall is damaged when I bumped it. I think it controls the AC idle up, but I can't find it in my repair manual.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the forum I'm finding it really interesting. Sorry for the lots of text, just had a lot to report since buying and enjoying the car.