'84 Civic Dies At Idle/carb Goes Dry

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Hatchback

Hello everyone, I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

First off, yes, I have used the search function, and no, I haven't found an answer for this question.

Alright: I bought an '84 Civic 1.3L with a manual trans off of craigslist for a steal.
The only catch was that it was sitting for six months and didn't run. It cranked, but didn't run.
I drained the fuel tank and put in fresh gas (87 octane), changed the oil, replaced the fuel filter, and thought everything was dandy.
I replaced the pickup coil, and she fired right up, idled fine during the warm up, and revved fine.

Well I finally let her run for a couple minutes in preperation of a maiden voyage, and when she tried to drop down to idle, she got slower, and slower, chugged a bit, and got slooooower, and then she stalled out.

I tried to start her again, and she reallt didn't want to start. I sprayed some starter fluid in there and she started up but ran like crap but if I revved, she ran fine.
After she stalls, she's very difficult to start, and cranks for a long time.

I took the air filter housing off and had my brother in law look at the fuel window on the side of the carb, and I held it at arund 1,500RPM. After about a minute he said fuel just disappeared from the window, and then she died, even under load.

Does anybody have an idea as to what the heck could be wrong here? I'm at wits end now...

I can take video if y'all want as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Dat L24, 30 May 2015 - 05:18 PM.

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk

Well on that old car you have a mechanical fuel pump....from what your telling us it sounds like it's running out of fuel??

Try this.....when the car is running and it starts to die..spray some carb cleaner in the carb and try to keep it running. If you can keep it running on carb cleaner I would say it's a pump starting to fail.

Good Luck Mark...

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

Just replaced the fuel pump, still no change.

It's a fuel delivery problem for sure, but what's weird is that after the car stalls, I can still pump
the pedal and the carb will shoot a stream of gas out into the top barrel. So, at least one part of the carb is still getting fuel.

I'm getting quite frustrated...

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It's a vac leak in the base gasket. Get a friend with a propane torch (don't light it) attempt to start the cat while putting propane around the vac system&the carburetor.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

It's a vac leak in the base gasket. Get a friend with a propane torch (don't light it) attempt to start the cat while putting propane around the vac system&the carburetor.

You my friend are amazing.

I just took my flashlight out there, and took a look at the base of the carb where that base plate is.
I found what's in the picture: a huge crack (which goes around almost the entire carb, by the way).

4Io3IHi.jpg

I did your propane trick, and low and behold when the propane is by the crack, the idle increase probably 150rpm, and she stays idling.
Remove the propane, the RPM's drop and after about 15 seconds, she dies.

I just ordered a new rubber base, and when that's here I'll install it. Any suggestions or tips on removing the carb from the base?

Many thanks again, and I'll keep y'all posted!

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Label each hose connected to the carb. Or write a diagram. 14mm or 12 (it's been a while) wrenches

The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Btw, where'd you purchase your base gasket?

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

Btw, where'd you purchase your base gasket?

I purchased it here:

http://www.autoparts...33-1625865.html

The base portion is actually rubber coated steel, so I don't imagine this seal failing anytime soon.
The rest of the seal/gasket/flange/thing is super tough rubber, it feels like a damn tank.

I'm holding it in my hand as we speak, got it from UPS ten minutes ago. Gonna put it on later and see what happens.

Thanks again!

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0044A428S
Jeff

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

I have the OEM base in one hand and the OPT base in the other: I can confirm that both are dimensionally the same, and have the exact same mould lines.
It should bolt on perfectly, crossing my fingers.

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

This is so frustrating.

I just finished replacing the carb base, and it did *nothing*. Exact same issues as before.

Looking at the side of the carb though, the observation window still shows no fuel.

Could that be the issue?

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

This is so frustrating.

I just finished replacing the carb base, and it did *nothing*. Exact same issues as before.

Looking at the side of the carb though, the observation window still shows no fuel.

Could that be the issue?

When was the last time you replaced your pump? Without knowing, I would say it may be the float is stuck.

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

When was the last time you replaced your pump? Without knowing, I would say it may be the float is stuck.

replaced the pump two weeks ago, no change between the new pump and the old pump.

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

replaced the pump two weeks ago, no change between the new pump and the old pump.

My guess is that the float is stuck to the bottom of the carb. My suggestion is carb cleaner in the fuel line to loosen the float. Other than that, it might be a rebuild off the carb is needed

Dat L24

• Granny
  • Pip

My guess is that the float is stuck to the bottom of the carb. My suggestion is carb cleaner in the fuel line to loosen the float. Other than that, it might be a rebuild off the carb is needed

:(

Well, any good suggestions for carb rebuild kits?