Clutch Is Done

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
Well we got the clutch done on Mouse Tuesday, and since then the throwout bearing sounds just like it did before we replaced it. Also I am getting lots of noise in 1st and second gear, but sometimes the noise just stops. (It's wierd) We put synthetic fluid in the transmission (at the insistance of my friend who did it) could that have something to do with it?

I am puzzled and a little mad.gif I don't want to have to take this stupid thing off again. (But we will if we have to)

Advice anyone? Please?

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
I went and looked at the service manual (thank you Tom, it's a godsend) ... it specifies 10w-30 or 10w-40 for the transmission. (I guess that means motor oil?) The stuff my friend put in it is 75W-90! That might have something to do with the noise! dry.gif

I hope that fixes it

C CRX

• Granny
  • Pip
It's been said on many other boards that NOTHING beats good old cheap Honda MTF (Manual tranny fluid) in a transmission. Lots will say that RedLine or other brands are the best since it fixed all their problems, BUT the problem is most all these other brands cost more, don't fix anything (just masks the problem but it's still there) and actually do more damage in the long run than anything.
Get the Honda MTF, it works fine from the factory and in many fast track Honda's. HTH

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (PacerRacerGirl @ Apr 6 2003, 04:05 AM)
I went and looked at the service manual (thank you Tom, it's a godsend) ... it specifies 10w-30 or 10w-40 for the transmission. (I guess that means motor oil?) The stuff my friend put in it is 75W-90! That might have something to do with the noise!  dry.gif

I hope that fixes it

Bridgette,

Get rid of that 75-90 as soon as you can and replace it with the Honda MTF as suggested by C CRX...that stuff you have in there is way too heavy!

Kirk

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
Thanks guys, it is out of there tomorrow! Honda MTF? Do I have to go to the Honda dealer to get this? Motor oil won't work? Esp synthetic? ....Inquiring minds want to know rolleyes.gif

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
When you remove the tranny again , check the input shaft ( it should not wiggle side to side) If it does the main input shaft bearing may be shot inside the tranny.
This is common and can cause noise aswell.
Yup, the Honda tranny fluid should be bought from Honda.
That sh-t you got in there now is a bad mad.gif bad sad.gif bad ohmy.gif thing. dry.gif

Doodson

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have a similar throw out bearing (I think) Problem in my CRX - High pitched squealing at idle in neutral. That's not what I wanted to say, though. Change you transmission oil ASAP. I put Syntec 75W-90 in my tranny and after driving it for about 3 weeks, the gears began to grind between a 3 - 2 shift. Basically the stuff was so thick that the tranny syncros could not mesh before the shift sleeve connected, and the gears grinded. I then changed to 15W-50, but that still was a problem, plus there was still 75W-90 in there because of the thickness. Finally, I drained half, filled it with dexron, drove it for a week, and changed to 10W-30. About two weeks later I dex-flushed it again and put in Mobil 1 10W-30. No, it didn't fix the problem, because the damage has already been done, but at least I am getting the maximum protection I can for the time being. To answer you question, is changing you oil going to change the noise? Most likely not.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
We're just planning on draining out the fluid in there now and replacing the fluid tomorrow. Should I try to flush out the 75-90, then put in the new oil?

Is Honda MTF a dealer-only thing?

Thanks guys!

<edit to say> we're not taking the tranny off again if we can help it!

Edited by PacerRacerGirl, 07 April 2003 - 08:45 PM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yup, dealer only. You can get it at Acura dealers as well, if there is one closer to you.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
Yes, the Honda MTF is a dealer only thing...I am going to the local dealership today, you want me to pick you up some? cool.gif

Kirk

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes. I would suggest trying to flush out the transmission oil. Honda/Acura probably would say just put in Honda MTF and change it regularly, but like I said, the 75W-90 will still be in there. Its really bad, and you probably will never get all of it out, but at least try to get as much as you can, right? Ask your friends what they think (Maybe not the mechanic, as he suggested 75W-90, but Dexron does have excellent cleaning additives - it even works as an engine flush! Don't use anything else like solvent or diesel, thats bad news. But I would suggest to flush it. The problem is that the GL5 is so sticky, you will drain the tranny and it will still be coating the gears and sticking in the synchros. If you flush it it will thin it out - oh, and I forgot to mention, for that week I would also suggest driving at higher that normal RPM. Don't redline it, but drive around 4 - 5.5 so that the transmission oil thins and drains easier. As far as using Honda MTF, Sure, but my personal preference is Mobil 1, and that is what it boils down to.

Good Luck!

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!