Seats For A 1st Gen Rex

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84' Honda CRX
So I went to the junkyard today and they had a 86-89 Integra. They had the seats for it and they are in perfect condition. The seats are just a little dirty. I was wondering if those seats will fit easily in my 84' Rex or will it be to big or small. The junkyard closes at 1 est so it is just a quick question.

Edited by Aaron, 02 June 2007 - 10:57 AM.

Daily - 84' Honda CRX dx........ Its just a Single cam......... no really, it really is

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 2 2007, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I went to the junkyard today and they had a 86-89 Integra. They had the seats for it and they are in perfect condition. The seats are just a little dirty. I was wondering if those seats will fit easily in my 84' Rex or will it be to big or small. The junkyard closes at 1 est so it is just a quick question.

They will fit. But if you are tall and/or your car has a sunroof you may be challenged for headroom in your CRX with Integra seats. The CRX seats keep your butt closer to the floor compared to the thicker bottoms on Integra seats.

I suggest that you either have the stock seats re-built and re-upholstered by an upholstry shop in your area or that you buy a real racing seat if you plan on racing. BTW- racing seats make lousy street seats and street seats make lousy racing seats.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yea, I bought them. They are a little to wide and really tall. 1 of the holes fit but I would have to drill/tap and die the other wholes. The rail is just a little to wide. I will probably end up taking them back and getting the money back for them. Thanks anyways, I bought them before I saw your post sad.gif

Daily - 84' Honda CRX dx........ Its just a Single cam......... no really, it really is

Sgt. Pepper

Fritt got some aftermarket seats to fit, ask him what they are and how they fit. I heard JCWhitney seats are crap......just what I heard. I think you can get Accord seats to fit, but I am not 100% on that. I myself am working on a set of del sol seats. From the looks of them they sit nice and low (not that I need a lot of headroom at 5'10") and comfy. If this falls through I will try a set of 2nd gen seats, but I really like the del sol seats. biggrin.gif
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

Aaron

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yea I am probably going to take those seats back, Let me know how the Del Sol seats fit. I mean, they probably wont bolt in without drilling and tapping/die new holes. But the teg seats just sit to high and since its not a bucket seat. But its really comfy. I want seats that are buckety and low like the OEM 1g seats smile.gif! Let me know how the Del sols fit!

Sgt. Pepper

Will do. I know they won't bolt right in, but I have my 1G rails and I'm not afraid to drill/tap/die. I'm sure they won't be much harder to fab than 2G seats (or any aftermarket ones). 1st things first, I gotta get 'em.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 2 2007, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, I bought them. They are a little to wide and really tall. 1 of the holes fit but I would have to drill/tap and die the other wholes. The rail is just a little to wide. I will probably end up taking them back and getting the money back for them. Thanks anyways, I bought them before I saw your post sad.gif

I was able to make 1st gen Teg seats fit, but they are tight. It took some trial and error to position them just right.

I used 4 through bolts, once I knew how far left and right I wanted it.

I am 6' tall, and they are noticably higher (only seems to matter when I am wearing my helmet).

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX (Straman Convertable) 87 CRX Si 91 CRX
For what it is worth, many different Honda seats could be modified to fit into 1G/3G.

Some easily bolt in while others require a little more effort.

I would recomend against drilling holes in floor and running bolts due to the fact that the area you are putting those holes isn't designed to hold in the event of an impact. I would be concerned that the sheet metal would tear under stress.

Fortrunately Honda has made it easier than I had thought. Many of their OEM seats use a similar design for the backing and seat pan sizing while using different mountiong for different year chassis. Disassembling the seast and swapping the seat pan has worked for many differnent people with a range of seats. I personally have installed 93 Integra Seats into my 91 Civic wagon and more recently installed S2000 seats into my 85 CRX. I got the inspiration after finding this post on HONDA-TECH

http://honda-tech.co...hread?id=347548

This dealt with S2000 seats specifically but the idea is the same for different types of OEM seats. As long as the width of the seatback at the base is the same it may be easily possible. The benefit being secure mounting, near stock seat height and OEM quality slides.

Edited by SEEKERone, 04 June 2007 - 06:07 PM.

newrising

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx hf
Would switching out the seat pan also work for switching seats that werent made by Honda but were made for a Honda? I have some 89-91 crx seats from ebay and the rails don't quite line up.
Play 2 Win

Sgt. Pepper

QUOTE (SEEKERone @ Jun 4 2007, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For what it is worth, many different Honda seats could be modified to fit into 1G/3G.

Some easily bolt in while others require a little more effort.

I would recomend against drilling holes in floor and running bolts due to the fact that the area you are putting those holes isn't designed to hold in the event of an impact. I would be concerned that the sheet metal would tear under stress.

Fortrunately Honda has made it easier than I had thought. Many of their OEM seats use a similar design for the backing and seat pan sizing while using different mountiong for different year chassis. Disassembling the seast and swapping the seat pan has worked for many differnent people with a range of seats. I personally have installed 93 Integra Seats into my 91 Civic wagon and more recently installed S2000 seats into my 85 CRX. I got the inspiration after finding this post on HONDA-TECH

http://honda-tech.co...hread?id=347548

This dealt with S2000 seats specifically but the idea is the same for different types of OEM seats. As long as the width of the seatback at the base is the same it may be easily possible. The benefit being secure mounting, near stock seat height and OEM quality slides.

I'm gonna find out if this applies to del sol seats too. They need to be reupholstered anyway, so why not take 'em apart. ohmy.gif Let's see if I can get them to fit a 1G.

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (newrising @ Jun 10 2007, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would switching out the seat pan also work for switching seats that werent made by Honda but were made for a Honda? I have some 89-91 crx seats from ebay and the rails don't quite line up.

If these are the USDM CRX seat, then yes the pan swap will work with those seats.(these are OEM Honda seats)
been there, done that.

1goldteg

• Habanero Pepper
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 92 Integra GS-R , 85 Turbo CRX Si -Stolen 09/07
QUOTE (SEEKERone @ Jun 10 2007, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If these are the USDM CRX seat, then yes the pan swap will work with those seats.(these are OEM Honda seats)
been there, done that.

I for one have seen 2 of Seekers Rexs, and in one he has Prelude seats, the other EDM CRX seats (I think 2nd gen?)

My rex came with 2nd Gen Si seats and now has Recaro seats from a (gasp!) Volkswagon GT ph34r.gif

Seeker you have pics of the S2000 seats in your 85? What you do with the other seats?

SEEKERone

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (1goldteg @ Jun 10 2007, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I for one have seen 2 of Seekers Rexs, and in one he has Prelude seats, the other EDM CRX seats (I think 2nd gen?)

Seeker you have pics of the S2000 seats in your 85? What you do with the other seats?

Hey Mike, the seats removed from the 'vert are safely stored... you don't need to worry 'bout those. biggrin.gif

I recently got the S2000 seats for project for another person but they decided to go with some stupid ebay seats. so i decided to see what was necessary to fit these into the 'vert. The link i posted from honda-tech showed the seats being fitted into an EK but the idea is the same. I took the original seats from my 87 CRX Si (non-vert rolleyes.gif ) and disassembled the lower section for the pan swap. I went one step further to minmic the S2000 pans and dented them down in the back to allow the deep cushion to sit as low as possible...this step wasn't necessary but i like that result. The seats sit straight, just a touch lower, and use all four bolts to mount to floor with original seat tracks.
this isn't an easy 10 minute job...i took a little over an hour each(and I have experience taking seats apart) Needed tools include a tool for the "hog rings" that hold the cover to the pan and framework. I got a set of these from HARBOUR FREIGHT. Also needed are replacement "hog rings" because reusing them is difficult(sourced from auto upholstery shop).

pics as requested
(yes the car is that dirty...been doing other upgrades to it)
(no the seat isn't "crooked"...the second pic looks that way but trust me it is straight)
(sorry about the 'washed out ' look in the pics...sun was going down and was loosing light)

ok...one more time for "bolt in seats" in 1G CRX(no disassembly required)
84-87 CRX (duh)
83-87 Prelude...use Prelude seat tracks
88 CRX ..but use 1g CRX seat tracks
89 CRX HF only..same as 88 CRX
89-91 CRX...but only if NOT USDM seatbelt mount in door car (these also have buckle mounted to seat)
JDM, EDM, even Canadian seats are same as our 88 seats
Anything else MAY be possible with seat pan swap from your 1G seats

1goldteg

• Habanero Pepper
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 92 Integra GS-R , 85 Turbo CRX Si -Stolen 09/07
QUOTE (SEEKERone @ Jun 10 2007, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
84-87 CRX (duh)
83-87 Prelude...use Prelude seat tracks
88 CRX ..but use 1g CRX seat tracks
89 CRX HF only..same as 88 CRX
89-91 CRX...but only if NOT USDM seatbelt mount in door car (these also have buckle mounted to seat)
JDM, EDM, even Canadian seats are same as our 88 seats
Anything else MAY be possible with seat pan swap from your 1G seats

nice...

umm I see a black fender ohmy.gif

I like the look... maybe time to sell these recaros wink.gif wink.gif

85supersleeper

• am i still in the slow lane???
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic sedan
NICE work. something i will look into once i have the funds. for now i must finish my swap.