Stepson's Sentra

• You cannot reply to this topic
54 replies to this topic

Sgt. Pepper

My stepkid has a '99 Nissan Sentra with a 1.6l engine and auto that is throwing a P1320 code which is an "ignition signal", we changed spark plugs and rotor. What else can we check/change besides the wires and cap? It seems to run and idle fine, but shuts off without warning. I does re-start again without any trouble. I know, I know it's not a Honda. dry.gif Just need some other ideas to try and solve this problem. Thanks!
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
ignition signal sounds like the Ignition Control Modual or one of the senors in the distrubitor.
Posted Image

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage
Hall Sender unit maybe...? Makes sense to me!
Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

Sgt. Pepper

Crank angle sensor needs replacing. CAS is in the distrbutor which means I need to replace the dist. Found a new one on ebay for $159.00/free shipping (with lifetime warranty). This should fix the problem. I'll let you know...
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

Sgt. Pepper

Ordered a new distributor yesterday off ebay and it arrived TODAY! I installed it and it idles great. Check engine light is STILL on, but I expected that. I heard they have to be reset to get rid off them, any truth in that? How do I do it? Don't tell me I have to go to the Nissan dealer?!

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just barrow and OBD-II scan tool from AutoZone or AdvanceAuto. I had to have AutoZone reset the Accord to get teh light to go out and to clear the code after a bad tank of gas messed with the Cat. Was free, though the guy didn't really want to since I didn't buy any parts from him.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ May 2 2007, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ordered a new distributor yesterday off ebay and it arrived TODAY! I installed it and it idles great. Check engine light is STILL on, but I expected that. I heard they have to be reset to get rid off them, any truth in that? How do I do it? Don't tell me I have to go to the Nissan dealer?!

You can buy an OBD-II scan tool and "CEL resetter" for less than $100, I bought mine for considerably more But I have used It MANY TIMES and charge people $10 to use mine LOL.. They do come in handy..

ChrisF-dude

• Powered by Natural Gas
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Location:Maryland, United States of America, Earth, Terran System, Milky Way 21158
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si (ZC), 2011 Toyota Camry
    • Image Gallery
On the 99 Sentra, the ECU is mounted to the floor just behind the center console. On one side of the ECU there is a little dial. Just turn the dial on the ECU and it resets the code. Then turn on the car and let it idle for a few minutes without touching anything that will affect engine operations, (ie; gas pedal, A/C, flux capacitor). I have a book somewhere here. I've done it before.

Once a woman is introduced to Colonel Angus, she'll settle for nothing less.
chrisfpixelcrx.jpgSiemblem.jpg

Sgt. Pepper

Thanks Chris, I did just that and the light went out.......................for a minute. It came back on and is throwing the same P1320 code (ignition signal). WTF do I check/change next? So far I have done:

New plugs
New distributor/cap/rotor

Wires "look" almost new, but I am not against changing them. Any other ideas?

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Harbour Freight has the OBD II scanners on sale now for $30.

I warn you though: my brand new DA sander from there just took a shit. I hate that place.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

RFL85CRXSI

• The Martinsburg Intimidator!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic CRX Si ,'85 Honda Civic CRX DX, '02 Ford Crown Victoria Police Crusier, '94 Chevy S-10 LS1 (Haul'n AsS-10), '98 Plymouth Breeze 2.4T
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Another way to clear the code (which I have done s few time on my mom's '98 Plymouth Breeze and my gf's '97 Dodge Neon) is to disconect the negitive battery terminal for atleast 30 minutes. Remember, this is just to "reset" the ECU or ECM (which ever you want to call it).

Suck my SOHC!
Im the VTAC sauze on your Honda Burger!

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (RFL85CRXSI @ May 3 2007, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another way to clear the code (which I have done s few time on my mom's '98 Plymouth Breeze and my gf's '97 Dodge Neon) is to disconect the negitive battery terminal for atleast 30 minutes. Remember, this is just to "reset" the ECU or ECM (which ever you want to call it).

That won't work in some cars like the Ford Ranger because the ECU has internal memory that lasts if the battery power goes down.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ May 3 2007, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harbour Freight has the OBD II scanners on sale now for $30.

Its a scanner, not a reset tool.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ May 3 2007, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a scanner, not a reset tool.

The OBD scanners should reset the codes also. Unless that is some F-ed up scanner, which is a real possibility if you buy from Harbour Freight.

Sgt. Pepper

I did the "resset thing" as per Chris (and the Haynes manual) twice. Light came back on and I am wondering if the problem may be something else? What else is involved with the ignition that I can check/change? I probably will pick up an OBDII scanner, but for now I want to get this code fixed/cleared without going to the dealer.