87 Crx Si Questions(Noob Questions)

• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

Vicious

You might want to search under different tag words or search in the projects section to see other peoples builds for ideas on which direction you'll be going turbo, na, or hydra.

Good builds to check out are below for the ew5/d15a3

Turbo:
Sawchuck nastiest turbo build around

Hydra:
Jea86

Na:
Madkore
OG Wagon
Cbstdscott

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage

Hey, don't trip, there is a TON of valuable information on this site that pertains to your car exactly and there are far more friendly, knowledgeable, and experienced per capita vs most of the larger traffic sites. When it comes to 84-87 civics/crx's, this is the best site ever conceived- bar none. So be cool and we'll be happy to help in any way possible.

Here's an example of something I just posted for a new guy, who could have researched more himself, but was nice. Some of it may be useful to you:

So I wrote this response two days ago but lost internet as I was typing and forgot to post later:

1. I highly recommend rebuilding whatever head you end up using- every head I've ever pulled has needed at least 3 valves.
  2. I haven't heard of them but I also haven't paid much attention to such things for a few years... for ~$600 a set, I'm ure they aren't bad.
  3. People have tried pretty much everything, I suggest not reinvinting the wheel too much here as a LOT of people have been here before. With that said, I always like to see something different so keep thinking outside the box and maybe you'll come up with something novel.
  4. ARP rod bolts from the later model D series (and LS) work, get them from jegs, summitracing, ebay, heeltoe (I think), or your favorite performance dealer
  5. Later model D series internals mostly don't work with few exceptions- pistons will work (the ones with the 19mm, iirc, wrist pin size) and it's common to use p29 pistons for high comp setups. As for cranks/rods, none of the newer model engines would be appropriate to use... iirc the crank dimensions are all wrong D15 (84.5mm stroke) or D16 (90mm stroke) but the D15 rods might work in the EW/D15a1-5 engines since they're both 134mm... that depends heaviliy on the big end diameter and whether or not you can find an aftermarket D15 rod which, I don't recall seeing many of them... ever. I seem to recall Dseries.org had a vendor that went out of business about a year ago~ who had actually sold H-beam D15 rods or was, at least, discussing it. Sawchuck did something like this on his boosted Si.
  6. The 1.5 rods from the non HF model cars are the thickest rods of any D series an thicker than the B series I've seen (B16, LS, and, I think, GSR), So you might not worry about replacing them unless you plan to spend plenty of money on a turbo setup.
  7. Aside from what I mentioned above, D15a2 internals will not work and are not worth toying with.
  8. Forged pistons will require machine work to your rods, I think... not really worth spending the extra money unless you're going turbo.

The big limitors of the stock Si engine are things that effect flow, particularly on the intake side. The throttle body isn't the best and the intake ports are small- you can swap to a later model D series intake manifold (research this to see which works!) and port the head and/or go with an affordable cam regrind as mentioned above... those should get you close to your goals if not all the way. Internally, pistons or a head shave will get you the CR you need to get to 120 fairly easily.

Edit: I come off as a dick sometimes too, no harm no fowl

Edited by zakats, 17 April 2013 - 11:04 AM.

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 95 civic lx ...soon getting 87 crx si
I was reading something about the throttle body and the air intake from here last night.but I think you just gave me the best answer.

I read I should get a bigger throttle body and different air intake manifold but it would be hard to find one that fits or I'd have to fit it myself.

I don't know what porting is...I'm gonna have to google that..maybe ill take it to a shop to do that..

I'm thinking about just buying an already regrinded cam..

So doing all this will get me to 120? Hmm seems like there's alot of life in these old engines :)

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm Gonna have to read alot more..which I don't mind..I love reading about this stuff...

But I kinda wish I could upload all this info into my brain via USB haha. Imagine?

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Ohh so porting means making your intake ports straighter and longer instead if a curve? Just read a bit in wiki.seems hard lol. Shops can do this for me ? Or would I have to go to a specialty shop

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Shops can port/polish the head for you, it tends to be labor intensive which is pricey. If you're experienced with a grind you may do a "gasket match" though it can be tricky. If these are new concepts to you and you aren't really looking to go internal just yet, I'd suggest sticking with just the cam regrind- a bigger cam means you'll take in more air so you'll also need more fuel to make it all work, some people just buy an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and bump up the fuel pressure a little to compensate. A full engine tune is best but may be cost prohibitive depending on the route you want to take.
I suggest starting with the easy stuff that will support your future mods- header, muffler, drop in air filter or autozone DIY CAI (some ingenuity needed for best results), and the cam- that'll be a substantial bump in pep but you won't be a 1/4 mile warrior. I would suggest looking into some build threads for someone who had similar interests and see what their setups are for inspiration and an idea of how much money/effort/work is involved.

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thank you for your advice.i think I will do exactly what you just said.

And yes I'm too noobish to go internal..shit I don't even know where the hell the cams are :/

Read read read! <-- that's what ima do.

How do I "bump up fuel pressure "?

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
If anyone can provide a link in how to install the cams also..I'd really appreciate it.or will it be in the repair manual?

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Your best bet would be the repair manual. Given your current mechanical experience, I suggest to work your way to that stage of your modding last. It's a common sentiment/recommendation to start out with doing maintenance before modding as it is the best cost/benefit work you can do and it keeps you from having a headache down the road- while you're doing that you might get some ideas and you'll get to play with some fun stuff while learning.

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Well first of all, welcome! You sound just like me when I joined this site almost a year ago haha! All I was about was power since it is so easy to add power to my 98 civic. But I learned a lot very quickly.

My first thought before buying my 87 crx si was to do an engine swap, but after looking for an engine for a while I gave up and thought... "Hmmm I have never rebuilt an engine." So I decided to do a rebuild on my D15A3. I'm now getting close to getting the engine back together and have been having a lot of fun and learning a lot.

Here is my advice... I'm NOT AN EXPERT but here is what I'm doing to mine to hopefully get some power.
1.Had the tranny rebuilt... 25+ year old could use some freshening up ($400) for a complete rebuild
2.Had a machine shop work on the engine, decked & honed the block, surfaced the head (shaved off a good amount which should raise my compression) and my valves were seating fine so no need for a valve job and micro polished the crankshaft ($300)
3. I bought a header offline ($125) and I have an exhaust guy which will run the rest of the exhaust for around hoping ($100-150)
4. I will be getting a 12lb flywheel which should make that little rev happy engine even happier and a stage 2 clutch(not sure yet)
5. Once the engine is done I will probably add a more aggressive camshaft but I don't want a headache trying to get more fuel to compensate.
6.Then a cheap pipe and a nice air filter for the CAI (cold air intake)

Hope that helps at all, my girl friend is yelling at my to give her attention so gotta cut this short, All in all, I didn't go into this expecting huge power gains, but I'm expecting a fun car to drive and get looks when is all cleaned up

Check out my build below!
Jeremy

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
This louvers you found are freaking awesome man.
How's the visibility out the back window tho?

You sir gave me inspiration and an idea in where to take my project.

Thank you for your help.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Now I get to be a dick too. Use the search button, its like Google but for redpepperracing.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

JerBear

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
The visibility seems pretty good, still haven't mounted them yet but I really love the look these cars have with louvers.

like I said if I was an expert I would probably throw in a sweet engine and boost it but it was my first big project so why not be easy on yourself and your wallet! So build your car for reliability and do some tiny weight reductions and then have lots of seat time behind the wheel and learn how to push the car and the power given to the limits!

Be thankful you're buying the car with past knowledge on it, I bought my car from a guy who didn't speak English and found a lot of things that were half assed with an overheating engine and a grinding transmission lol

You can do it! This website is one of the best sites I have been on, but it does take a while to get information sometimes, so I use d-series.org for quicker responses but that is for basic info, a lot of people don't know about these older Hondas

Donttrip831

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yes I used to be "car retarded" before but ever since I was Told I was able to buy this crx I've been reading and reading and reading and wrenching on my civic as practice

My plan is to do maintanence and fix whatever is wrong with it.which should be nothing but very minor cosmetics.

After I guess I'll buy a header and a new muffler or something like that.

Later on I will do the port n polish.an try to bump up the compression.

The last will be the cams..as I have lots if reading I need to do on them..

Maybe ill go look more at some builds and get a better idea of everything..

I really just wanna reach 120hp..that's not too crazy of a number is it?

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

120 is very attainable with internal work