Drag Racing Rear Spring Rate?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

b16_destroyer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si with entire 95 Integra wiring & drivetrain
I have Koni yellow adj all around, I have locked the front torsion bars in place to keep the front end from popping up. But as for the rear, the temporary getto rig I have is a spring inside a spring welded together but unfortunately as we all know that when you cut a spring it changes the spring rate so I have no idea what spring rate I am running.

I plan on running deep 9's. I already have the turbo setup to and engine built to support it. My question is what springs to use? My current springs are so stiff, that I loaded about 800 pounds of stuff in the back and the car only squatted 1/2". Is there such a thing as having springs too stiff in the rear for drag racing?
I pick on drivers, taunt them to race, and then beat them. MUUUUHAAAAHAA!

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (b16_destroyer @ Jan 4 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have Koni yellow adj all around, I have locked the front torsion bars in place to keep the front end from popping up. But as for the rear, the temporary getto rig I have is a spring inside a spring welded together but unfortunately as we all know that when you cut a spring it changes the spring rate so I have no idea what spring rate I am running.

I plan on running deep 9's. I already have the turbo setup to and engine built to support it. My question is what springs to use? My current springs are so stiff, that I loaded about 800 pounds of stuff in the back and the car only squatted 1/2". Is there such a thing as having springs too stiff in the rear for drag racing?

i had GCs with a 900 spring. pulled 1.60 60s. and torsion bars won't keep it from popping up shocks will

therealtime

• Slow builder of Fast cars
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si Turbo, 87 Civic Wagon 4wd (sold), 88 Civic Hatch Std. (RIP), 93 del Sol Si (sold)
QUOTE (b16_destroyer @ Jan 4 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there such a thing as having springs too stiff in the rear for drag racing?

I tried taking some old rear shocks and welding them so that the couldnt move in or out and took it for a ride.... i almost hurled all over the inside of my crx. I think that would be considered too stiff for any kind of movement, even drag racing. i am racing on stock rear springs and tokicos now.

-tony

-Tony
1986 CRX Si turbo project best 1/8mi et= 8.02
1987 Civic Wagon Real Time 4wd (SOLD)
1993 Del Sol Si (sold)

and Various non-Hondas
www.cheaptrixracing.com

wago%20clan.JPG
ex Wagovan-Clan Member

C8V6C

I have the 1000# springs for my rear...its seems pretty stiff.

You are running an LS Vtec?

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

Hollowman

• Torsion Bar Groopie..
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic SI w/ ZC, 2002 S2000
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (therealtime @ Jan 4 2007, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried taking some old rear shocks and welding them so that the couldnt move in or out and took it for a ride.... i almost hurled all over the inside of my crx. I think that would be considered too stiff for any kind of movement, even drag racing. i am racing on stock rear springs and tokicos now.

-tony

This is the "old school" way of doing this, but it is effective.. The idea is to get the least amount of weight transfer to the rear since the front wheels are where yor traction comes from during the launch.. That's why "wheelie bars" were bolted up to a Honda's.. The stock rear springs are too soft even with the setting on 5 with your Tokico's if you want good 60ft times.. You could just swap out the welded shocks at the track for racing since there are only two bolts...

b16_destroyer: Lil buddy is right about the torsion bars.. Shocks (shortend variety) or some traction device to limit the front end from popping up is what you need.. There are tracion bars made for the EF Civic's and CRX's though.. There used to be a strapping kit to limit the lift in the front... I don't know if they are still available or being used anymore (I've been out of the racing thing since I went back to school..) but they were effective for the FWD's in the 9's..

And the rear spring rate can be too stiff especially on rougher tracks.. Some people have said that they felt the rear end move around when they hit a bump (a problem at LACR in Palmdale, CA).. I would say that 800-1000# springs are plenty stiff though if you want to get into the 9's..
RIP Block# D16A12011451.. It will be missed..

James Bond (Diamonds are Forever): "That's a nice little nothing you're almost wearing. I approve."

Posted Image