• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
in terms of mods

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
umm. for solo one or two? civic or crx?

Edited by E-AT_me, 16 December 2003 - 10:30 PM.

1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

xer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
i dont know, whats better to get started on?

Edited by xer, 16 December 2003 - 10:35 PM.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
depends on how much you want to spend.. solo 2 is autocross, a lot less at a single time compared to track days, but at track days you get more time for the money.. understand?

autocross is much easier to get into, i think, then applying for an SCCA license and racing competitively on the track.. due to the amount of preparation you'd need to race a car.. track days or lapping days are a different story then full on SCCA track racing..

xer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
so autocross is pretty much open ended right?

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Open ended meaning what? You can run pretty much any car, with any mods (or no mods), your class depends on what mods you do and the car you are starting with. There have been numerous national champions in various classes running 1G CRX's and 3G Civics.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well it depends on how many mods are already done with your car.. and if u have a civic you can run more classes than a crx..

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
I think the question you need to ask yourself is "what do I want from racing?"

If you want to race your street car, then you want to autocross. If you want a dedicated racecar that you can go wheel-to-wheel, fender-to-fender, then you should go Improved Touring or G Production racecar route. (bring your $$$$$$$$$)

You can use almost any car for the occasional track days, where you just run laps for fun.

Autocross, also known as Solo 2, is usually held in large parking lots, with the course laid out with cones.
The courses are usually 40-60 seconds and you get 3-6 runs in a day. The risk of injury to your car is very low.
There are many different classes in autocross from Stock to full on tube framed Modified cars. In autocross the worst mistake you can make is to just throw some modifications at your car without any regard to what class you will end up in, as inevatebly you will modify yourself out of being competitive. Start with Stock, learn how to drive and then decide where you think you're car can be competitive.

Solo 1 is held on actual racetracks, but you are not in wheel-to-wheel competition with other cars. The preparation level is higher, as is the risk of wadding up your car.

Autocross is a good place to learn how to drive. (You may think you know how, but you really don't ... yet! The learning curve is steep and quick ...and very fun cool.gif )

Racing isn't about the car, it's about the driver.

Good luck.

PS, go to http://scca.org and educate yourself! wink.gif

xer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yea, i think im going to autocross, because i know exactly what in going to be doing to my crx (which is severely hated upon).

from what ive read, it looks to me like ill be going to track days for fun, which isnt a problem.

thanks for the help guys

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
QUOTE (xer @ Dec 17 2003, 12:08 AM)
yea, i think im going to autocross, because i know exactly what in going to be doing to my crx (which is severely hated upon).

from what ive read, it looks to me like ill be going to track days for fun, which isnt a problem.

thanks for the help guys

what are you doing to the car thats going to be "hated upon"

the Stock catagory is where I whould head first.. pick up a set of AGX GR2s, fresh set of either Azenis, or Victoracers, do needed matinence to get the car up to great running specks, and just ride the hell outa the 1st season... at least thats what I wish I did... I jumped right in balls high into CSP and got worked, byt a faily stock 2nd gen Rex and worked over 1500s with ITBs... fast cars for cheap....

If you going to do a swap, I suggest running in SM2... might be rough, but it will keep you out of the crazy mod classes out there...

You can pick up the SCCA rule book and see whats in/excluded from being done in each class.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
For racing, the Honda Challenge has pretty forgiving rules, especially the H1 class. Engine swaps are normal and encouraged in H1.

As for autox, I can remember the days when the A-Mod class had essentially no limits, but that has changed. Lack of limits to mods in A-Mod was considered to be unique in all of motorsports, back then.

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well, SM2 where you live may be not competitive, but in the DC region, it's one of the fastest classes!! i too, jumped to CSP.. stupid lowering springs..

anyway, take it slow.. mods you can do to a car in stock class:

stainless steel brake lines
good brake pads
stock rotors, not slotted/drilled
any brake fluid
any dot approved racing tire on a stock size/offset rim
any cat-back exhaust
K&N drop in filter, NO OTHER MODS TO INTAKE SYSTEM you can't even remove baffles
any shock can be used
stock springs/torsien bars must be retained
a stiffer/softer front sway bar may be installed, rear must remain stock (if it came with the car, they HAVE to be on there.. aka, you can't drop the front one and run no bar..)
let's see........
that's about it..

PacerRacerGirl

• Racerchick
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Old car: 1986 Civic Si. Then a 94 Mazda MX6. Now a 90 Miata and a 87 Civic Si
Well actually in Stock class the front bar is free, so technically you can run with no bar regardless the stock setup. A lot of people do, but I never did.

The big question is, what are you going to do to the car? Trust me, you'll get no haters here unless you're planning on doing the "Lambo" mod to the doors. (I wouldn't race it if you were, you'll find a lot of people mocking you at any racetrack or autocross! laugh.gif )

We're more than happy to give you advice on how to build a competitive car, but realise in any form of racing it's all about the driver, not the car.

So tell us, what are your plans?

IamNOTaRicer

• U sux0rz @ teh intArweb
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 Civic Si, '81 Mazda RX-7
He probably wants to put a Saturn drivetrain in it. That would be sufficient for "hated on", no?

--Danny

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you think you are funny, yet did you know the new saturn vue redline edition is powered by honda?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Edited by E-AT_me, 18 December 2003 - 12:59 PM.