• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF Auto

Hi RPR members! I would greatly appreciate a help of yours:

I bought a car with a pretty bad EV (CVCC) engine and it quickly died with both head and block being too bad to try to fix.

The only replacement engine I could find in a good condition is the 12-valve non-CVCC EW carb engine (with about 100K miles on the clock), but... it misses the carb and there is just the intake mani with it for the non-CVCC one.

Question: can I bolt on my CVCC carb to the non-CVCC head and make it run? If so, what are other actions that I will need to take to make it run?

I have the distributors from both EV and EW, and pretty much everything else that is bolted to each of the two blocks, so I can switch parts if needed from EV to EW and back (except for the EW non-CVCC carb, of course).

The car is my daily and I need to get it running again really bad. Please help.

P.S. I did try the search and wiki here beforehand, but do not seem be able to find the answer.

Edited by Georgeous, 26 March 2013 - 06:57 AM.

ty89teg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX DX, 96 DelSol VTEC
    Garage View Garage

If i'm correct the EV is the 1.3L, and if you got a 12 valve non CVCC that is an EW4 made for fuel injection.  You could run your carb on it though not sure how efficient it would be since the two intake valves on the EW4 are the same size and CVCC heads have a small aux. valve to create that vortex effect.  I haven't heard of anyone running a carb'd EW4 but I'm sure it can be done.

Never knew the bumble snow monster yet who turned down a pork dinner for deer meat

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

If i'm correct the EV is the 1.3L, and if you got a 12 valve non CVCC that is an EW4 made for fuel injection.  You could run your carb on it though not sure how efficient it would be since the two intake valves on the EW4 are the same size and CVCC heads have a small aux. valve to create that vortex effect.  I haven't heard of anyone running a carb'd EW4 but I'm sure it can be done.

I am located in Europe, though I drive right-hand-drive EV with CVCC... so the versions of EW may vary from offered in US or Europe... but the one I am offerd to buy is a carbed 1,5 EW from left-hand-drive civic imported from germany (non-cvcc, carbed from factory). You are right about my main concern - the auxiliary valves...

The way CVCC works (in theory) is feeding poor AF mixture through the main valves into the cylinder, and rich AFmixture to the auxiliary valve right next to the spark plug in order to ignite it, which will ignite the pooor AF mixture in the rest of the cylinder.

Bolting on the CVCC mani to non-cvcc head should work in the means of feeding the engine, but it will be fed with poor AF mixture only... I guess I am leading myself to the answer - that correcting the AF mixture richness via carb settings should help. I am just in doubt that this is the only problem and I might have overlooked something with the way distributer works.

And another question - can I bolt on dualcarbs from d14a1 to EW head?

Edited by Georgeous, 26 March 2013 - 01:59 PM.

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

It would work best if you could machine or grind grooves between the cvcc runner and the main runner, so the cvcc mix gets pulled in... 

acj.jpg

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

It would work best if you could machine or grind grooves between the cvcc runner and the main runner, so the cvcc mix gets pulled in... 

Now we're talking =) Next question - If I go with my CVCC cabr setup - does it matter what distributor should I use? Can I go with my CVCC engine distributor from EV and put it on EW to save money, buing just the engine block and head from the scrapeyard?

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Distributor, pump/housing and cam can be put on/in pgmfi head. Carb cam is longer, as it drives the fuel pump.

I really don't know if just the carb dist fit the Si head.

I have a carb dist/fuel pump housing with reground dx cam in my si head.

IMG_1458.jpg

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Distributor, pump/housing and cam can be put on/in pgmfi head. Carb cam is longer, as it drives the fuel pump.

I really don't know if just the carb dist fit the Si head.

I have a carb dist/fuel pump housing with reground dx cam in my si head.

You also have dual carbs and adjustable camber. That's hell of a setup!
So looks like I finally have a plan, thanks to you guys.
1. Since both EV and EW that I will have are carbed from factory - all of the engine equpment should fit from my EV and thus I can purchase just the block and head assy with no extras, saving costs on that.
2. I will grind the grooves to feed the cvcc mixture to the engine as well.
3. Put everything together and see whether I can crank that old wagovan up.

Thank you so much! I will report on how it went probably Monday, and if so, then we'll know that CVCC intake setup can work on non-cvcc heads.

Edited by Georgeous, 28 March 2013 - 02:28 AM.