16 replies to this topic

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Integta LS; 87 RT4WD (RIP)
    Garage View Garage
Hey everyone!

My 87 RT4WD had been over heating for a little while, and I kept having to add coolant. So we did the head gasket, and since we were going to have the head and the manifolds off, my dad and I decided we might as well swap carbs to the Weber 32/36 instead of having to re-assemble the stock carb in all its vacuum glory. The over heating seemed to have been taken care of, but then it started climbing again (just past 3/4 of the gauge) after a 500km trip...added coolant this morning and it's been fine all day for city driving. Other than that both the lower and upper rad hoses are new and so is the rad - so I am waiting for my thermostat to come in and I will see if that will solve the issue.

Anyways that's a whole other issue - on to the carb problem. The engine is stock, but we gutted the cat before putting it back on. We also modified the stock air breather to fit the Weber, and tried to route vacuum to keep the the air coming from the exhaust shield into the intake when the engine is cold - using one of the ?thermo switches? on the intake manifold (but that doesn't seem to be working).
Right now, the issue seems to be a lack of power at higher rpm. The vacuum advance is connected (on the lower vacuum port - as per many threads) and the timing is lined up on the red mark. It idles great, but it doesn't climb up in the rpms like it used to. I will get to highway speeds and it stay there all right, but it feels like it has less power than before. We double checked all the vacuum and everything else we could think of and still nothing. I am not sure what the size of the jets are in the K726 kit, but we were thinking that it was maybe lacking fuel at higher rpm, so maybe a larger jet would be needed. We haven't checked the fuel pressure, fuel pump, and haven't changed the rear fuel filter, because everything worked great with the stock carb...

It's drive-able at least, so I can use it to go to work.

Any help is appreciated!

Mat

A few pics of the swap...
http://www.facebook....=1&l=c1d6456da0

Edited by loiselle.m, 08 November 2012 - 10:11 PM.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
Sounds like jetting could be wrong. How good is the accel pump?
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
The accel pump is good.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Did you just throw a carb on there or did you actually tune it.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Well we just threw it on there - I was under the impression that the K726 kit already had the carb tuned properly.

bigboi407

• Anti-Government Official
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
no thats not the case, the weber k726 needs to be tuned per engine. Milage, wear, mods and what not will cause the tuning to be different to every engine its applied to, its a great carb once its tuned correctly
1984-1987 HONDA CIVIC CRX PARTS FOR SALE 1/25/12

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Tuning as in adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw?

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
As in you need the proper jets and metering rods. See the tutorial in the carb section.

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
You will need the biggest accelerator pump jet, and slightly richer jets, you can get all these from Pierce Manifolds. Make sure you are getting full throttle, or your secondary won't work, Dave

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for all the suggestions! I know for sure I am getting full throttle, it's an issue we already worked out. Anyone know what the jets in the K726 kit are? I'm away from home so I can't take it apart, but I'd like to order some richer one's before I get back...

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Order the ones in the weber how to.

Mark L

As in you need the proper jets and metering rods. See the tutorial in the carb section.

Small point, Webers do not have metering rods.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks. I have never had to tune mine. I tuned allot of edelbrocks. My weber that was on the crx was previously tuned. So if no rods, then how does it regulate fuel flow through the jets?

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Ordered a few different size jets for the secondary main and the secondary air correction from Pierce Manifolds. Will post updates to see what works best.

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Didn't forget to update...haven't had the chance to swap the jets out yet. Should have time before the new year ;)