What Keeps You From Buying A Newer Car?

• You cannot reply to this topic
42 replies to this topic

vervepipes

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '84 CRX
i forgot to mension some other reasons why buying a new car is on my agenda. i live in the booneys where everybody drives a truck and japanese cars have only been around for a few years(10 or so?...) already 2 previous japanese dealerships have gone out of buisness, and the newest one isnt doing so well (although i know kia is korean, not jap.) parts here are impossible to get, unless i have them shipped or go driving around looking for them(how can i do that if a critical part has malfunctioned?) although i plan on keeping the crx for occational use a domestic sedan is going to be needed

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (down4ce @ Oct 21 2004, 10:54 AM)
Wow thanks for the replies they're great, I forgot one of the best things is defenitely the rarity. I've only ever seen 2 1g crx's in my area and I gained new friends because of it. Also the gas mileage is great one time, no kidding, I filled her up with 9 gallons and drove 513 miles before I ran out blink.gif  and it's fast! My friend just bought an 01 integra GSR for $13,000 and I just schooled his ass at maple grove during a grudge match biggrin.gif It's becoming almost an obsession dare I say, I want to fill my garage with 1g's until they burst thru the roof wacko.gif
                                                                                      laugh.gif L8ter TT

assuming both your cars are stock. your friend sucks at driving.

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

petersterncan

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic Wagovan. 5 spd manual, no air, no power steering, stock except for performance exhaust
Same for me, except I already bought my own place. I *could* have a new car, but maxing out my retirement savings, and having money available for going out to restaurants, movies and vacations is more important to me than having a new car.

Also, when you have a new car and someone dents or keys it, it's a real downer and a financial loss. If the same thing happens to my '87 Wagovan, it isn't a big deal. So in this way, owning an old car is less stressful.

With an old car, I'm also willing to work on it myself because there is no warranty to preserve and even if I were to completely ruin my car, there would be very little financial impact.

Peter

QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Oct 21 2004, 10:10 AM)
I am 27 years old i make 40k a year i can afford a nice car ... why well  i can either buy a facy car show off or i can save for a damn home

GIFF

• The Integrated Technology CF-48 Exclusive Gear For Honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI, 94 Integra, 09 Fit
    • Image Gallery
i would like a newer car. and by new i mean like an 94-96 Integra GSR. but my crx has a lot of life left in her. check out the mileage to the left...

SportInjectedClub

PM me if you have these for sale:
OEM or DS Tuning Floor mats

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
3 very important reasons to me. 1 I miss carbs, this is the last year for carbs. 2 I haven't learned enough about it and fixing it is not very expensive. And the most important reason, I can fit comfortably behind the steering wheel, The only other small car that I had that I wasn't crowded behind the wheel was my '80 civic. I am 6' 7" and the newer cars have less headroom, American cars have always sucked down gas, and I really haven't ever liked them, and the new hondas, (I wanted one of the redesigned preludes) The roof starts dropping right after the center support pillar. This is an optical illusion on wheels. Small car and a lot of room.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

ea_hatch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 si hatch with ls/vtec
i just love old skool.. plus not a hole lot of people fix up 1g crx's and 3g civics. so when people see mine they love it

G1tegZc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 G1 teg
I don't have a 84-87 civic or crx......But with a g1 teg I think I can relate...........

The bottome line....

I love my car.....

I have always been a fan Of boxed sports cars.....

Plus You Never see one on the road....and people don't really know how fast they really are........

Old school......I really like old school......

Designed back in the day when ............Honda didn't have all this starism where they try to make there cars so modern looking......

They were Just making Good cars....with good designers.....

I just dropped 1800 on a car I payed 2200 for

Even If I get another car.....I will keep my teg.....

Old School Rules!!!!!!
I love Old School!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T-Bars UNITE

bcdawg

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: bd mazda b2200,'04 civic sedan,'87 crx,'04 chevy silverado,'05 nissian altima se
    • Image Gallery
I have a few new cars.Which are great for daily driving and having kids.But when your bored do you take out your automatic family ride?Nope.You get in the little street legal go-kart and rip through the gears on your favorite secluded mountain backroad just for shits and giggles.But I had a 1st Gen Crx when I was 16 and I just remember all the fun times rowing gears with it so it's fun car.About the new hondas,not a huge fan of them either.I've got a '04 Civic Sedan good pep I guess but fit and finish and other little issues will steer me away from the newer hondas from now on.My Nissian Altima SE on the other hand is a wicked daily driver.I recommend a new Nissian car to any one.Very quick(270hp),wicked fit and finish and the best dealership experience I've ever had!Anyways sorry about my altima rant.But anyways the little 80's hondas always have a nice clean spot in my garage,can't beat the fun factor or the looks for the money period! biggrin.gif L8R.

down4ce

QUOTE (GIFF @ Jul 10 2005, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (down4ce @ Oct 21 2004, 10:54 AM)
Wow thanks for the replies they're great, I forgot one of the best things is defenitely the rarity. I've only ever seen 2 1g crx's in my area and I gained new friends because of it. Also the gas mileage is great one time, no kidding, I filled her up with 9 gallons and drove 513 miles before I ran out blink.gif  and it's fast! My friend just bought an 01 integra GSR for $13,000 and I just schooled his ass at maple grove during a grudge match biggrin.gif It's becoming almost an obsession dare I say, I want to fill my garage with 1g's until they burst thru the roof wacko.gif
                                                                                      laugh.gif L8ter TT

assuming both your cars are stock. your friend sucks at driving.

Yes, he's a got big ego especially since he bought his GSR. When we went to maple I got 1 run against him and he did what I was hoping he would, missed second and panicked laugh.gif I ended up with a 16.6 he got a 16.8......oh and he hit a tree with his last car

1g Supremacy

Mostly the reliability of construction.

My mom just bought a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT..Big ole' truck and it's just as nice as it can be. All in all, a 40,000 dollar vehicle.

And one of the seats is already falling apart.

There are issues with the rear bezzel seal--It leaks.

It's died twice--thou I attribute that to engine breakin, because both were in the first 500 miles.

And any number of small, annoying issues that shouldn't go wrong with a new car--But something always does.

They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
I like mine because ITS NOT A POLICE MAGNET! My old 2g CRX and 1990 daytona would get me pulled over for doing literally nothing. Havent gotten 1 ticket with this car yet. Must be the hubcaps...

I also like the quality, drove a friends neon and it felt like it was going to fall apart ph34r.gif . Should have let him drive my car...

Edited by Computer, 11 July 2005 - 02:23 PM.

86 crx

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
ill be honest..i like the shape of it, the lack of weight, nobody around me has one (if they do, its stock), everyone has a 2/4g, at the track you'll surprise a lot of people if you have work done, not a big theif magnet (thats a big one)
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

acagnones_crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 99' 2.5rs, 1gen or 3gen civic coming. . .
I love my res the its uniqueness, how low in wieght it is, cheaps parts insurance... the list can go on and even if i do buy a newer car which wont be any time soon i will always have my rex since im doing a b16 swap later ima be keeping my 1g for a while... car payments arent my thing right now lol.