What Keeps You From Buying A Newer Car?

• You cannot reply to this topic
42 replies to this topic

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    Garage View Garage
Speed, fun factor, novelty (no many drive these out here, i've seen 2 other rexs and mabye 4 or 5 civics), insurance is cheap, gas is cheaper, and i keep up with cars that have 30 or 40 hp on me.
I have nothing...

vervepipes

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '84 CRX
before it was insurance prices, but now it's been cut by more than 2/3, so maybe next year i'll go on a weekend trip to edmonton to start looking, but i may keep the rex anyways to give autoX a try

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I like my CRX a lot. Eventhough it's carbed, it gets 30mpg. I like the older sports cars built low to the ground. The popularity of SUVs really screwed sportscar design. Some wiseass thought it was a good idea to make tall sports cars. Have you seen the Civic Si and even the RSX. I see hints of minivan in their designs--ugly! Plus with these CRX/Civics parts are plentiful and cheap. Back when I had my Trooper, it was a huge pain to find parts, and the aftermarket hardly existed at all--no fun.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
I am 27 years old i make 40k a year i can afford a nice car ... why well i can either buy a facy car show off or i can save for a damn home

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
Love of the car, and its cheaper to build my CRX then to go buy a new car.
SportInjectedClub

skrzastek

I have a couple other cars, but i will never get rid of teh CRX, i don't know why, but i just love driving it. It also makes a nice track car, it does well against newer cars, and if something breaks, parts are cheap

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Two simple reasons:

1. Go kart feel.... Its raw and mean (the Si anyways) and its a blast to rip around in.

2. I put my heart and soul into the car, its been apart and back together so many times, and I have a healty reserve of parts in the garage to do it again and again.... the car is an extension of myself, and an expression of my taste in speed and aesthetics.... and its just hot! ph34r.gif

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

down4ce

Wow thanks for the replies they're great, another one of the good things about these little cars is the gas mileage. One time, no kidding, I filled her up with 9 gallons and drove 513 miles before I ran out and it's moves! My friend just bought an 01 integra GSR for $13,000 and I just schoolshowed him up at maple grove during a grudge match. It's becoming almost an obsession dare I say, I want to fill my garage with 1g's until they burst thru the roof. TT

EC rider

• I am rexman
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Really, What's not to Love about these cars???
Lack of Respect? ha! I laugh to myself and think you poor sap, you general consumer of mainstream commercialized Americana, stay in line! With your $350. a month leased hunk o crap w/ a heated steering wheel and 20mpg economy. Baaaaa! F*N Sheeple.
Get in Line! mad.gif
I bought an old-school Honda with 230k and I get 38mpg! I haven't even tuned it up and fixed shit thats holdin the economy down! Not to mention the Fun Factor!
Plus, I feel like I'm in on a secret...somethin special that few of us know and even realize. These cars of ours were built in a time when Honda could do no wrong.
How many out there feel this way? I'm sure we all feel little like that. wink.gif

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
nothing is stopping me from buying a new car. seriously concitering the new acura TL. sweet car. the crx is only here because of its weight (or lack of) which makes the posibility of being very potent. but the crx will be sticking around.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

darkcivic86

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic DX
I think the best thing about my 3g and everyone hear is the their is almost NO!! aftermarket support for them. if you want to do something engine to body you have to do it your self and make most of the parts your, it is almost impossible to find two civic's or rex's that are same and people that do customize these car have much more pride for thier ride, know matter what someone says about the car, all the hard work can't be takin away. i love my 3g never getting rid of it..
Sometimes when you look up.... a bird poops in your eye

Kurt

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
[QUOTE]I feel like I'm in on a secret...somethin special that few of us know and even realize. These cars of ours were built in a time when Honda could do no wrong.
How many out there feel this way? I'm sure we all feel little like that.

I have often think what it would have been like to have a jap spec civic / crx si back in 1984. with 850kg and 130hp all alluminium engine efi 4 wheel disk brakes 15.6 sec 1/4 it would have been one hell of a car in its time . I can think of cars 20 years on that get rave reviews in car mags that would fall short of our old cars .I find myself looking at other cars built in this same year and point them out to my wife and say "hey look at that car what year do you think that is?" She will come back with "well about 1978" I will say its a 86 but looks a lot older than out civic. It was just so a head of its time in body shape, engine, fit and over all finish. I would have to say that a lot of other car makers took 10 years longer to come up with somthing as good.

I take it for granted just how well our cars are built, but it only takes a peek under some other cars hood to see the ugly hard to work on out of date engine to make me think what a great little car i have.

Honda built a big name for its self in the 80s and went the extra mile in every way they could for a price that others couldn't.

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Like most other people, money and pride and enjoyability keep me from getting a newer car.
If I was going to get a new car, probably a Honda, I'd getthe TSX. It's a very sharp looking car. Or the Accord Hybrid V6, which is just a rockin' awesome concept. I don't have a beef with American Made Hondas. Heck, I'd prefer American Made ones to China Made ones, and I do buy american when I can because I do see a difference in quality a lot. But as far as cars go, nothing american made/designed has ever tickled my fancy like the CRX. If you want a good MPG car, you have to deal with a junker. If you want a snappy performer car, you have to deal with a V6 or V8, not to mention an overweight car.
Granted, there are newer cars that have tickled my fancy. I loved the look of the Prowler. Impractical thought it was, it was a sharp looking car. The Neon SRT4 also is an interesting car, factory turbo, and even the Magnum is an interesting concept. I'm waiting to see how the new charger works out, and even the GTO is an interesting call back to the old days (even though I've heard from old school GTO fanatics that it doesn't measure up) Though as with all dodge/ Daimler Chrysler's and even Pontiacs, I'm leery of quality control/defects etc. The new GT40, Ford has my respect for that. Turning out a more or less brand new car from the ground up in 15months that was spanking Ferrari's on track days before they even got the DOHC Supercharged V8 motor. That's really something.

All in all, though, I will most likely be sticking with my cars until I wreck them or they get me killed. Even if I need to store them for sake of whatever family I find, they will stay nice and close.

nivek2002

On one hand it runs across my mind everyday that I could go and get a new civic and have a reliable, comfortable car.

But then I know how much fun it is to zoom around town in my baby, I can fix anything that brakes, and not have a monthly payment for years to come. Plus I have really grown to love the looks of the Sedan biggrin.gif

JDN14

For a daily driver, the only thing keeping me from getting a new car is money. Id give anything to trade in that beat up 86 Si for something newer or more reliable.....or mor comfortable.

For my autocrosser, the fact that i can have a cheap, fun, and competitive (if i learn to drive better) car in my 19 year old 85 Si. That and i consistently out-do one of my friends who drives a WRX....even with a $17000 budget gap smile.gif
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.