Machining Flywheel

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
Hey all,
A while back I came across a CRX with an integra swap, where the guy had reduced the pressure plate mounting surface by 0.015 or 0.020 in order to cinch the pressure plate closer to the flywheel. Right now I have a 89 civic with a D16Y7 I am thinking of doing the same to... is this reccomended and does it increase the holding power much? Cheers!

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (gkiing @ Sep 4 2010, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... is this reccomended and does it increase the holding power much? Cheers!

Yes, and yes.

It doesn't increase the clamping ability a tremendous amount but it's definitely an improvement over stock.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've done an extra half-millimeter with great success.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
just to clarify, where does one take the meat off the flywheel? I was under the impression it would have been the back side to lighten it.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
They're not talking about lightning the flywheel. They're talking about reducing the depth of the inner surface, relative to the outer surface machined on the face. The flywheel face is machined with two elevations. The outer ring elevation (which is higher) is what the pressure plate bolts to, and the inner recessed face is where the clutch plate grips. By reducing that elevation a tiny bit, the pressure plate will clamp down a little harder on the clutch plate, theoretically increasing the clutch pressure.

Did I get that right Jay? tongue.gif
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Sep 4 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They're not talking about lightning the flywheel. They're talking about reducing the depth of the inner surface, relative to the outer surface machined on the face. The flywheel face is machined with two elevations. The outer ring elevation (which is higher) is what the pressure plate bolts to, and the inner recessed face is where the clutch plate grips. By reducing that elevation a tiny bit, the pressure plate will clamp down a little harder on the clutch plate, theoretically increasing the clutch pressure.

So how much have you guys reduced the pressure plate mounting surface from stock? I don't know what the stock "step" between the flywheel surface and the pressure plate is. I thought about reducing it 20 thousandths, which isin't much, but 0.5mm works too with no clutch release problems?

edit: 0.5mm is 20/1000ths. So no problems releasing the clutch with this mod?

Edited by gkiing, 05 September 2010 - 02:17 AM.

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
On this topic does anyone know where I can find the step size for an 88 CRX si flywheel (21 splines, 200mm)?

A-Man

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: da, eg, at, etc.
i honestly didnt think about that its a good idea

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (firstgencrx @ Sep 5 2010, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got it right but the way you described it could be confusing if you just glance over it quickly. I even thought you had it backwards until I re-read it and noticed you said, 'relative to the outer surface'.

If someone were to miss that (as I did initially rolleyes.gif ) they might think that they needed to reduce the depth of the inner surface, which would DEFINITELY be the wrong way to go!

Just to be clear, it is the outer ring that the pressure plate bolts to that would need the material removed. And 0.5mm would be all I would remove. You could take more if you want to experiment but just remember, if you take too much...you can't put it back. wink.gif

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
I have it written down somewhere. I'll try to find it.
Buford Out

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
+1^ I had some removed the last time I did my clutch job and it worked great. About .5mm sounds about right as to how much my machine man told me he would take. Felt great!

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
No release problems, but the side effect is slightly higher pedal effort and a little bit reduced pedal feel. Well worth the improved grip, if you ask me!

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Sep 5 2010, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You got it right but the way you described it could be confusing if you just glance over it quickly. I even thought you had it backwards until I re-read it and noticed you said, 'relative to the outer surface'.

I know, I suck at explaining things. laugh.gif tongue.gif

It's an interesting thread all the same. wink.gif

Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
So I did the flywheel, had the step machined off the flywheel so it was flat, this was 0.025 inches or just over half a mm. Now with it installed, the clutch wont release.. the cable has to be adjusted at the tyranny so its almost tightened to the limit. Its like the release bearing doesn't have eneough travel to disengage the clutch. Any ideas? I was thinking I could put a washer behind the release bearing so it could travel further. Btw the stock step on an 88 crx is 0.025in. Any ideas?

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Did some more research, I don't think the problem is loss of the flywheel step, it may actually be the pressure plate. I may have used a hydro pressure plate and this is a cable trans. Still not clear if hydro/cable pressure plates are different. But if the pressure plate is 200mm diameter, then it HAS to be an 88, right?