• Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 honda crx
what exacly does devacing do?

gez1975

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I believe I read all the devac posts. I decided to buy a Weber carb. I had already rebuilt my original carb but I had a fuel leak near the base and I decided to start fresh. The new carb should be here this week, can't wait. I want to strip out as many vac ports as possible. I believe some of you guys have left some stuff in and I dont want items under the hood that are no longer being used. One device in question is the white, plastic thing with green label on top of intake manifold, drivers side of the head. It has a large fitting on it that connects to another tree of vacuum ports. I assume most people leave this on because it may be easiest to just cap it. I plan on removing it and making a plate to fill the void. So after a devac, the only thing you should require vacuum to is the brake booster and distributor right (and of course the thing on the firewall for the AC). If someone that has done a successful devac can verify that for me, I would appreciate it. Many thanks. I am trying to add a pic of the white thing I was trying to refer to...but I too could not figure out how to post an image. I'll work on that.

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage
Your assumptions are correct on all points. The white valve you refer to is listed as "Air Valve" in the emissions section of the FSM and I completely removed mine and used a rubber expansion plug in the large hole with a custom plate over it that bridged to and used the two bolts that originally attached the valve to the IM. Hope this answers the question.

Skip

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
maybe interested in a set of these?

http://www.redpepper...showtopic=46792

comes with gaskets
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

gez1975

• Granny
  • Pip
thank you Skip for the reply.

kaymo, if you still have these, yes i'm interested. i'll try to contact you after i do the install of the weber, if all goes well I'll invest the additional $35.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
sure do, three sets still available. where in south carolina are you? if you are in the spartanburg greenville area i can deliver and check out your ride. and yes you are correct about the devac process you can remove everything but the things you mentioned and run just fine.

gez1975

• Granny
  • Pip
i'm in laurens, about 40 minutes south east of g'ville. my ride isnt running. bought it a few months ago for $300. the body is good, grill and fenders are split, 2 rust spots (very minor), poor paint and torn up seats. if i can get it running good, i plan to restore, add some 15 or 16 bbs ra looking rims, or something like flashmatrix has. if you are in hickory, thats quite a haul to deliver the plates. your more than welcome to make the trip. the carb should be here this week as well as plugs,wires, fule filter, oil filter, cap and rotor. Got all the tuneup stuff from rockauto for $33 shipped

gez1975

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (84crxproject @ Dec 9 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what exacly does devacing do?

in short, it gets rid of all the potential areas for a vacuum leak. my dad is in newnan, i was just there last week. small world.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
i go to greenville all the time. let me look at those cracked fenders, i can probably save them if they are mostly there. hurry up and get that stuff on there i want you to tell me you got it running by the time i get there! PM me your telephone number and i will give you a call when im coming down say friday or so

rileyescobar

• hating white people since 1982
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 crx dx(R.I.P.) 86 civic dx(under the knife) big things to come! 87 CRX HF(Devac'd and running like a champ!)
okay,resurrecting an old thread,but how's it running with the air jet controller hooked up? (assuming it's still hooked up the same)
no,it isn't "too rusty"....now sweep it up,and let's talk price