Stock Carb To Weber Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
47 replies to this topic

F22hb

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 88 RT4wd wago & 86 Hatchback
Ok good to know. We're around 68' above sea level here. The weber we just got has the following...
Primary Main: 140
Secondary Main: 135
Primary air correction: 160
Secondary air correction: 155

The weber isn't going on for a few months or until the stock weber starts needing a rebuild. Might start with these jets and see what happens.

ZEN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1960 VW pickup, 1986 CRX HF, 1987 MR2, 2004 Civic Si
QUOTE (Mark L @ May 6 2010, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My house is at 150' above sea level.
I race at places at about 1400 feet above sea level. At 10 F I went to a slightly larger main jet. This was all seat of the pants tuning.

I could use a bit more tuning around the mid range. I would do that if it was a street driven car.

I am now running a Si motor with a CDN manifold and a custom adapter.

Mark

................................................................................
A couple of years ago, i bought a 1972 VW bus that had a Weber 32/36 DGAV Progressive carb on it and since the guy took long trips into Mexico and Central America with the bus, he had many spares with him at all times, including a new extra 32/36 carb.
Also interesting, i sold this camper bus earlier this year to fund my search for a gen 1 CRX. i did buy a 1986 HF a couple of weeks ago and it runs fine.
i also knew that these Honda carbs can present problems and i thought eventually, i might run into some similiar problems as you guys, although my HF has 293K miles on it now...was looking through everything on this site and noticed trhis thread on the 32/36 Weber carb...
...just so happens today is the start of a BIG VW show in Eureka Springs, Arkansas and i will be selling some parts in the swap meet. When i sold that bus, i kept all the spares and was going to sell the Weber carb...Glad i read this thread this morning cause, now i'll keep the carb in my Honda parts box. It is new with a receipt for $495.00..
What a stroke of good fortune.

Mark L

IF you need an adapter to a CVCC manifold, let me know. I have an extra.

Mark.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

87CivicDXguy

• Hondamanextraordinaire!!!
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF, '95 Blazer LT, '80 Cutlass Supreme 455 (Not Gutless!), '92 GMC Sierra 350 4X4, '81 Honda CB900 Custom & CX500 Deluxe Motorcycles & Honda ATC's!
    • Image Gallery
I ran a Weber 32/36 on my Civic Hatch a couple of years ago until it blew the head gasket but really loved the performance and sound of that thing! Ended up spending another 30 bucks or so on some extra jets shipped direct from Italy along with an air/fuel gauge in an attempt to work out some bugs though... even tried cutting out a section of the OEM CVCC intake to help it flow better but then my catalytic converter had to be gutted too since it was causing weird surging issues that I mistakenly thought was a timing/advance problem.
Anyway, I want to put that Weber carb on my CRX along with a carbed CDM intake which I found from an '88 Civic at the salvage yard here but don't know for sure if this will even bolt onto my D15 CVCC head or do I need to swap heads too? Is that head swap even possible to do from an '88 Civic to my '86 CRX D15? blink.gif

BTW, I'm parting out my '87 DX hatchback ... blew the head gasket. If anybody needs something from it just PM me! The parts are nice and so is my price!

old skooler hatch

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 85 honda civic, 86 mazda 323
QUOTE (87CivicDXguy @ Sep 4 2010, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ran a Weber 32/36 on my Civic Hatch a couple of years ago until it blew the head gasket but really loved the performance and sound of that thing! Ended up spending another 30 bucks or so on some extra jets shipped direct from Italy along with an air/fuel gauge in an attempt to work out some bugs though... even tried cutting out a section of the OEM CVCC intake to help it flow better but then my catalytic converter had to be gutted too since it was causing weird surging issues that I mistakenly thought was a timing/advance problem.
Anyway, I want to put that Weber carb on my CRX along with a carbed CDM intake which I found from an '88 Civic at the salvage yard here but don't know for sure if this will even bolt onto my D15 CVCC head or do I need to swap heads too? Is that head swap even possible to do from an '88 Civic to my '86 CRX D15? blink.gif

as long as their both d series it will work i havent tried doing anything betwieen the e and d im thinking it will work because in 87 honda just started changing the engine numbers to d series and stamping it on the block
pshht ac haha power steering haha who needs it!

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
87CivicDXguy yeah, sorry to burst your bubble but the 88 on up stuff won't work on the 87 on down. If you don't believe me check out a picture of the gaskets online somewhere and compare them. I physically have both motors sitting in my shop so I was able to mock an attempt. Debated about making an adapter but too much money and too much work. Know where I can get one of those 88 - 91 carbed intakes? would love to get my hands on one......... biggrin.gif

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
Also would like to point out that the SI Head is cam'd for fuel injection, with 16 valves, if you took a head off an SI and put it on a non SI the non SI only has valve notches for three valves in each cylinder(12 valve), not four valves(16 valve).

87CivicDXguy

• PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF, '95 Blazer LT, '80 Cutlass Supreme 455 (Not Gutless!), '92 GMC Sierra 350 4X4, '81 Honda CB900 Custom & CX500 Deluxe Motorcycles & Honda ATC's!
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (PuddleSkipper @ Dec 3 2010, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also would like to point out that the SI Head is cam'd for fuel injection, with 16 valves, if you took a head off an SI and put it on a non SI the non SI only has valve notches for three valves in each cylinder(12 valve), not four valves(16 valve).

I know the SI heads flow much better than the CVCC carbed ones here in the states and that they have different cams, valves and springs. There are a couple of '88 Canadian CDM Civics in a local salvage yard but then again, I also know that almost nothing is interchangeable from the '88's to the older ones... I'd like to at least mod one of the CDM carb hats to work with my Weber or I may just end up keeping my CRX stock but that Weber carb made a huge difference in performance even on the CVCC head on my DX hatchback until the head gasket went on it probably due to incorrect tuning or too much experimenting!

BTW, I'm parting out my '87 DX hatchback ... blew the head gasket. If anybody needs something from it just PM me! The parts are nice and so is my price!

monkeey

• Banana Powered Monkey
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2007 Honda Fit Sport, 1987 Honda Civic Wagon RT4WD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (PuddleSkipper @ Dec 3 2010, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so what would i have to do to get an si head running on the usdm cvcc block, besides adding a fuel pump ? my idea is to use a weber 32/36 with a cdm intake and an si head. this should get rid of all the cvcc stuff and emissions control stuff like the egr port etc...

this setup should yeld a better over all flow through the engine , or am i totally wrong ?

is my noob showing unsure.gif

edit: could i use a cdm head on my block and bypass all the issues with the extra valves ?

Edited by monkeey, 10 February 2011 - 06:17 PM.

bigboi407

• Anti-Government Official
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Mercury @ Jan 30 2008, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are the pics. She still needs some cleaning up and some blockoffs on the intake and EGR pipe ( maybe a Header... :-) ) See past posts for details.
Note the throttle cam from old stock carb.

how come your choke is hooked up there and not like mine, whats the difference, anyone??

mine has a wire from the choke to one of the connector pins and it worked fine..

1984-1987 HONDA CIVIC CRX PARTS FOR SALE 1/25/12

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

Mercury

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 CRX
All is well for the most part, just crossed 300k.... I cant seem to bring the timing in to spec, distributor dosnt turn far enough. Distributor has/had two vacuum lines to it, doesnt seem to matter how i hook it up. any ideas on this? Ive been looking for a mod, but no one talks about this.

Mercury

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 CRX
pics of carb swap
http://i262.photobuc...08/IMG_0906.jpg
http://i262.photobuc...08/IMG_0905.jpg
http://i262.photobuc...08/IMG_0904.jpg
http://i262.photobuc...08/IMG_0903.jpg

Mark L

1. Check/fix your your cam timing
2. Set distributor timing. If the distributor does not turn enough, go to step one.

Mark

QUOTE (Mercury @ Nov 16 2011, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All is well for the most part, just crossed 300k.... I cant seem to bring the timing in to spec, distributor dosnt turn far enough. Distributor has/had two vacuum lines to it, doesnt seem to matter how i hook it up. any ideas on this? Ive been looking for a mod, but no one talks about this.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
^ also could be time for a new timing belt
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

87CivicDXguy

• PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 16 2011, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ also could be time for a new timing belt

Wow u guys, way to revive an old thread!!! I thought this one was dead just like that DX has turned into a backyard parts storage bin for 2+ years already! LOL! Guess good info is priceless... I spent many hours digging around on here for info when I was still driving the hatchback but admit I never was truly satisfied by how it was running at certain speeds the way it was but don't get me wrong, the Weber upgrade produced a vast improvement in power (and fun-factor!) over the OEM carb.

My CRX has been a driveway queen for about a year now due to some suspension issues I don't care to address at this point and would rather procrastinate and do almost anything else than dig into that problem... that will end up being on another thread I'm sure!

I've since acquired an '85 Accord SEi with only had 115,000 original miles on it (was car of the year in Japan and came fully loaded... Pwr mirrors, locks, windows, sunroof, leather etc.) for next to nothing that just needed a battery, brakes and new CV shafts and in overall real good condition otherwise. It has the 1.8 liter SOHC motor with throttle body injection and easily gets 25+ MPG even when driving it like you stole it! Had it up to 120 with not much more to go but it still did it with ease and also laid some nice rubber pinstripes around a corner in town just the other day with it that had to be at least 60 feet long! Got my a$$ chewed for it by some douche who saw and heard me do it though (told him I was already an hour late for work, which I really was since I had overslept, and kept on walking...) but it was worth it and not bad at all for a bone stock 26 year old Honda!!!

If I put the Weber on my CRX after the suspension is fixed it will be with a CDM intake and head but may just try to mount a 1.8 liter from an Accord in there if not too difficult... they look awfully similar! Hmm.... I think there are some possibilities there and I'm sure someone on here has to have a 3G Civic or 1G CRX with one of those under the hood?

Edited by 87CivicDXguy, 17 November 2011 - 04:28 AM.