45 replies to this topic

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 Civic 1500S - ZC converted
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
In another thread some of the new people have been asking how to do the mod teh the stock carb for more power that eldo found how to do. His post has a lot of information but is a bit vague in the description of the mod so i have got some pics and simple explanations for how to do it.

When stock there should be a vacuum hose going from the bit circled in green to the bit circled in blue. The bit circled in blue gets vacuum at about 5000RPM and pulls the secondaries open. To make them open sooner and give a bit more mid-range power you need to take this hose off and block off the part circled in blue. And run a longer bit of hose to a port that has vacuum earlier in the rev range.

The part circled in green is the same as in the previous picture. The part circled in orange is the port you need to connect the hose to get vacuum at around 1800RPM and open the secondaries sooner. There should already be a hose connected to this running to a black box on the firewall with three hoses coming out. I just put a tee piece in and connected them both.

The part circled in orange is the same as in the previous picture.
To get more fuel pumped in when to press the accelerator you need to either bend or move the bracket circled in yellow. This bracket is there to stop the part circled in red that is the pump that delivers the fuel. I haven’t done this bit but others who have say it help a little.

To check it works start the car and rev it while looking at the rod in the pic and it should move in the direction of the arrow.

LUke

Edited by fat_85_civic, 07 December 2005 - 01:09 AM.

viva_la_bam

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Honda Civic Hatch 3G
    Garage View Garage
Wow, thats a heaps good guide, thats what i was after, thanx for that man, ill go outside ad give it a shot now, ill see how it goes, ill keep you updated, thanx again for the help! biggrin.gif
user posted image

lx2si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 Civic LX
I done these mods yesterday, even though my carb is slightly different. Car feels to pull more than usual, with better pick up smile.gif. Thanks for the help.

eldo

• Think outside the box horsepower
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86CRX 68Chevelle 69GTO
    • Image Gallery
Very good job Luke. Those pics with the circles really clarifies things (I'm pretty useless with a computer and have no idea on how to draw stuff on it. blink.gif ) Maybe you can help me do a write up with pics on how to modify the carb as a blow through carb for a turbo- it's running lean so it's off the engine now until i can drill out some jets .

Edited by eldo, 28 April 2005 - 04:37 AM.

Ed
86 Crx DX EW3 block EW2 ported head , Coltcams (nitrous/turbo Stage 2 Triflow )

T-25 with a blowthrough Keihin carb - 13 psi .

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
Thanx for the nice write up Luke. This gives me more confidence to go and try this out myself. Maybe you can make a similar write up to for the ignition advance lock mod, what to weld and how much advance to give.

Julian

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
eldo - sure if you tell me all the info on what to do and where the cirles go i ll help out.

Julian - i havent done the timing mod and havent ever pulled apart a distributr so i dont think ill be able to do that one.

antisocialspeed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 96civic(sold) 87crx dx(gone) 86 crx si 96sentra 86.5 Nissan truck 2001 Integra-GSR
ohohohohoh...eldo PLEASE do a write up on carb'd boost when you get some time. I have been researching blow through designs for carbs but am pulling my hair out. I didnt think anyone on this site had a boosted car that wasnt fuel injected.

viva_la_bam

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Honda Civic Hatch 3G
    Garage View Garage
Hey man, i used yoru guide it was pretty good, i dont know if you mentioned it but i had to use a T piece to take one hose to the other.. but yeah i found that my second vacuum wasnt pulling at all - but it only pulls when you have the air filter on it.. but yeah its all good and its connected teh way you said. and yeah its not a HUGE difference but its noticeable.. thanx for teh guide man. good work biggrin.gif
user posted image

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
I forgot to ask. I know this is mostly for the cdm carb but will thsi also work with the u.s. carb. Im not sure what the difference is between the two.

Julian

fat_85_civic

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
from what ive seen the us carb has about 1000 more vacume hoses but i think if you could find the right port to hook the secondarys up to it should work. im not sure about the accelerotor pump.
LUke

Street Luge

Hey

I was just wondering about the adapter plate .. did you make it yourself and was it anythign complicated, i have a zc im trying to fit a cdn carb onto which looks suspiciously like yours

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ May 4 2005, 02:14 AM)
I forgot to ask. I know this is mostly for the cdm carb but will thsi also work with the u.s. carb. Im not sure what the difference is between the two.

Julian

http://www.redpepper...gallery/albun80

thats it done on a us carb by crxfanatic
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

DarkHand

QUOTE (fat_85_civic @ May 4 2005, 12:28 AM)
from what ive seen the us carb has about 1000 more vacume hoses

You aint kiddin'

blink.gif

And you wonder why the US folks are so into the devacuuming. smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 05 May 2005 - 09:05 AM.

DarkHand

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (DarkHand @ May 5 2005, 07:58 AM)
QUOTE (fat_85_civic @ May 4 2005, 12:28 AM)
from what ive seen the us carb has about 1000 more vacume hoses

You aint kiddin'

blink.gif

And you wonder why the US folks are so into the devacuuming. smile.gif

Now only if it will pass emmissions. wink.gif
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

JeepGirl

• 1300cc's of fury!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: R.I.P ~Honali~ 3G civic now drives Silver 86 Civic hatch
can i make but just one suggestion?

BIGGER PICS PLEASE!!!!

oh and eldo, i'm looking forward to your carb'd-turbo rightup with pics and stuff. maybe include a parts list as well. spring will be here soon and i'm going to do the blow-through carb setup.

carb'd-turbo 1.3L=1300cc's of RAW POWER!!!!!!

laugh.gif blink.gif laugh.gif

Edited by JeepGirl, 06 December 2005 - 02:59 PM.

rprdotcom1cropped.gifRIPHonalicroppedsigpic.jpgAW1GMtu.jpgH4zO0Qb.jpg