1g Rear Disk Issue?

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
So here's my issue? I didn't see this anywhere so I had to ask. When using the teg rear disks. I noticed that my wheel studs were a bit short. So I used some teg studds and all seems well...I was wrong. I then started thinking. Needing longer wheel studs means that my wheels are being pushed farther out? I now have tire run on the outer fender because of this. Did I do something wrong? Is this normal because I haven't really heard anyone talking about this? I'm at a loss and I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before.

Thanks,
Don

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Never had that problem when I swapped. I'd have to suspect your rims are somewhat non-standard.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
the disc set-up does push the wheels out about a quarter inch per side.
wes g.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (oldschoolimport @ Feb 1 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the disc set-up does push the wheels out about a quarter inch per side.

oldschoolimport is correct......

Though I don't think it's quite 1/4". Basically, the disc is thicker than the drum where it goes over the wheel studs, that is where the difference comes from.

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think its a 1/2" total of track which would be 1/4" per side.
Posted Image

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
as i suspected...looks like I'm going back to drums.... I will have to find some hf drums...

Apexed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 MR2 Turbo, 05 Subaru STi, 86 Honda CRX Si (Race)
Just out of curiosity what size wheels are you running?

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, 1986 civic si, 1990 civic wagon. 1979 civic 1200
QUOTE (Apexed @ Feb 1 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just out of curiosity what size wheels are you running?

seriously! I was wondering that myself. I have 16x7 with 215/45/16 azenis, dropped to 2 fingers, and I don't rub. its close, but its fine.
wes g.

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
i'm on 13" honda ten spoke w/ 185/60's. i'm dropped to tuck about an inch of tire. It rubs both sides ever so slightly.

oldschoolimport

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
you should have no problem with rubbing, unless your springs are so soft that the tire is going completely up into the wheel well under compression.
wes g.

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery

With 450lb springs and rancho rs9000s I can rule out soft suspension. Its simply a track width issue. I drive the thing about as low as it will go without destroying the thing. Short of reinventing the wheel, I think going back to drums is my quickest solution. I appreciate all the help, and I should have known with the need for longer wheel studs!!! I didn't put two and two together until the car was rolling... Oh well, always learning! smile.gif

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE ('85-SI @ Feb 3 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With 450lb springs and rancho rs9000s I can rule out soft suspension. Its simply a track width issue. I drive the thing about as low as it will go without destroying the thing. Short of reinventing the wheel, I think going back to drums is my quickest solution. I appreciate all the help, and I should have known with the need for longer wheel studs!!! I didn't put two and two together until the car was rolling... Oh well, always learning! smile.gif

Have you rolled, or cut back the inner rear fender lip? It can give you almost 1/2" of clearance on either side.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
willq and I talked about this issue at teh NED 08 meet. he said its possible to have something in the Integra's rear axle assembly machined down a bit in order to make the track width equal to that of the CRX's

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Rub, seriously? I have an acura rear axle, with 13x7 with 3.5 inch backspace, and my tires do not rub on the fenders, even under hard cornering.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
When I installed my rear axle i measured and compared it to my stock axle and I only saw a total of 1/4" difference. As in a 1/8" wider on each side.

What combo are you using?

Integra axle and spindles with civic trailing arms?

OR

Civic axle with civic trailing arms and integra spindles?

I am using a integra axle, spindles and the civic trailing arms. No troubles here I think that with those stock wheels you have you can make it work. But I have to say tucking 1" in the back? Damn I hope you have a adjusable panhard rod.

Brian
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member