Good Bye Gas Mileage!

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

*Wagovan*

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 wagovan
Okay, I tried to find a vac leak with some carb cleaner and couldn't find anything. What else do you think I should try? Thanks

Wagovan4WD

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 Wagovan 4WD
QUOTE (*Wagovan* @ Sep 23 2006, 02:31 AM)
I do have one more question though. It wont idle below about 1100 rpm without dieing. I can get it below but then is starts looping going up and down then it dies. When it's set at 1100 it stays put and doesn't move. What do you think?

Either a vac leak or your timing is wrong. At low RPM the timing retards automatically under vac. So if there's a vac leak your timing will be advanced more than it should causing it to die. If your timing is advanced too far by its setting, the same will happen.

I had a similar issue recently with my Wagovan 4WD when I took off all the vac lines and made it a stock venturi carb configuration. I had to hook up one of the two hoses to get it to idle below about 1500 rpm. Once I hooked up the vac line to the distributor the timing went down as it should and I can now idle around 500 if I wanted to, though I keep it around 1000.
Wagovan4WD

Soon to own the ?only? E100 alcohol powered Wagovan 4WD in existence
user posted image
..... Wagovan-Clan Member .....

*Wagovan*

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 wagovan
Okay, good news! I am back to getting 40 mpg. I still can't get it to idle below 1200 rpm. I can't find any vac leaks anywhere. I checked timing and it is spot on. I have no idea why it wont idle right. You guys are awesome thanks guys for all the help.