Turbo/nitrous Or All Motor

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

1987HondaCrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Honda Crx
Alright what do u guys recommend, I want my crx to get down at least 12's in 1/4 but what would u do turbo it and nitrous or just or put high compression pistons and shave the head and other things keepin it all motor

83Rabbit

• White Rice
  • PipPip
a 12 second all motor 1.5????

Im pretty sure youd be looking at a motorswap like say a b16 or zc with alotta work done on it to get it to 12 in the 1/4 on all motor. as far as the boosted engine is concerned, its pretty much what do you want.....?

reliability, fuel economy, streetability, handling, cost effectiveness???

theres a whole lotta factors, whats your budget?
1986 Grabber Blue CRX Si: K&N Filter, koni reds, air/fuel guage, msd blaster ss, ss lines, teg front/rear brakes.

"If anyone on this board ever installs one of those things, and I hear about it, I will ban them for life. " - rpr

mullinator

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
It's a simple radiator cap swap.

Remove the radiator cap on the CRX. Have some pull the CRX out and drive a Viper in. Install the cap. Now you have a 12 second car!

Seriously-- unless you're made of money, you're not getting a 12s CRX. Maybe in the 1/8 mi. smile.gif -scott '85-6 Si

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
i can pull 10's in 1/8 stock, no cam or header no nothing but a cai and glass pack

a stock si runs low compression, you could easily nos one. i thought of trying it, make sure and get a wet kit not dry.

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
B20vtec with CTR cams and cam gears and all the bolt on's. Should be close. Going to need a big budget though. The swap isn't too cheap.
twitter: @lylehatton

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
QUOTE (mullinator @ Jun 5 2003, 01:12 PM)
It's a simple radiator cap swap.

Remove the radiator cap on the CRX.  Have some pull the CRX out and drive a Viper in.  Install the cap.  Now you have a 12 second car!

Seriously-- unless you're made of money, you're not getting a 12s CRX.  Maybe in the 1/8 mi.  smile.gif  -scott '85-6 Si

Uh, this is the same swap I am doing, and it isn't going to be all that bad.

Here is my plan so far:

LS/VTEC swap (b18a with either B16 or B18 VTEC head) - Already have B18a.

Hondata 4b setup $400

I am either going to go All motor, or go Turbo, but turbo would be later. You could easily put a Hondata/VTEC/Nitrous 1st gen into 12's... VERY EASY. I want to go turbo because I don't like the flakiness of Nitrous... Too much that can go wrong, turbo is just easier to controll, and the power is always there.
Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (1987HondaCrxsi @ Jun 5 2003, 11:54 AM)
Alright what do u guys recommend, I want my crx to get down at least 12's in 1/4 but what would u do turbo it and nitrous or just or put high compression pistons and shave the head and other things keepin it all motor

if you want to get into the 12s all-motor, say GOODBYE to streetability.

you will need an engine that revs to approximately 10-12k rpm (and you'd definitely need a bored/resleeved B-series), and to gut the car to absolute minimum weight.
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

83Rabbit

• White Rice
  • PipPip
QUOTE (AudioCra-Z @ Jun 6 2003, 04:00 AM)
I am either going to go All motor, or go Turbo, but turbo would be later. You could easily put a Hondata/VTEC/Nitrous 1st gen into 12's... VERY EASY. I want to go turbo because I don't like the flakiness of Nitrous... Too much that can go wrong, turbo is just easier to controll, and the power is always there.

if you build an engine for all motor performance then slap a turbo on, its a pretty safe bet that you can kiss it goodbye within months. If you have it built for all motor and wanna throw a turbo on, you should probably go ahead and have another motor built for it. Or use a thicker headgasket (boosted VW's often use a copper one I believe) or replace the pistons with dish shaped as opposed to dome shaped pistons to lower the compression, not to mention the fact youll want to swap out your newly installed all motor cams for some cams that are a little more acceptable of boost. The good thing with an all motor built car is youll have the fuel (providing it was built right) to support boost to help lower the chance of running lean and causing detonation.

When used correctly for straight line performance, I would have to say Nitrous is much more safe and controlable than slapping on an aftermarket turbo. There are alot less factors to control with Nitrous. If you get a direct port/wet kit, that is made for your car and use it responsibly utilizing the full throttle switch, making sure you have sufficient fuel when it is in use, there is no reason that it will be any worse for your motor than say running 18 psi durring a track day.

now, for anything other than straight line, weekend racing, turbo is the way to go... like he said, power is always there (well, kinda, depending on the turbo we'll say around 3500 rpm.... if you want constant power, get a SC), its a helluva lot more fun than nitrous, you dont have to fill up a bottle every few weeks, but the modifications to safely run boost on many motors far exceeds the cost to safely run a nitrous system on your car.
1986 Grabber Blue CRX Si: K&N Filter, koni reds, air/fuel guage, msd blaster ss, ss lines, teg front/rear brakes.

"If anyone on this board ever installs one of those things, and I hear about it, I will ban them for life. " - rpr

AudioCra-Z

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 07 Honda Fit
Well, at any case, if you do decide to do a Nitrous setup, DO NOT USE A DRY SYSTEM!!!! A buddy of mine listed to a few people about doing a dry system, and using some larger 310cc RC Racing injectors to compensate for extra fuel.

Well, lets just say that two of the injectors got plugged, and he was burning nothing but Nitrous down the track... Burnt 2 plugs, and fried a exhuast valve. Dry systems are not worth it.

I don't like Nitrous because of the maintenence. With either, you are going to have the same amount of problems.

With nitrous, you have to make sure your bottle stays warm to keep enough pressure, and contantly fill the bottle.

Turbo is just nice that the power is always there, plus, ripping it off of the front of the motor is alot easier than ripping the nitrous plate off of the intake for smog.... ;^b...

With either setup, you want to spend the money on internals... I plan on getting a balanced crank, forged pistons and rods, and putting on a block guard or sleeve. And if you do your homework, and some good searching, you will find all of these for not too much. It is well worth it for any motor.

Edited by AudioCra-Z, 07 June 2003 - 02:04 AM.

Above all else, my WIFE I f33r the most!
Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF;

user posted image
RIP 86 CRX DX B16A

b16a87civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic si 1996 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
i have a 87 civic si with a b16 swap and a 75 shot. my best time is 12.6 @ 109. theres more to the car than just that but its show that its possible. its also still very much streetable! expect to spend alot of money the swap isnt cheap. im moving on to a turbo setup very soon, the times should drop more. if you know about turbos i would go with one on a b16 swap. i have pictures at members.cardomain.com/b16a87civic if you would like to take a look. i hope this helps you out.

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
get this months issue of honda tuning, "building a 12sec all motor dragger crx"

sorry, my scanner didn't work with xp.. so no scans

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (AudioCra-Z @ Jun 7 2003, 02:02 AM)
Well, lets just say that two of the injectors got plugged, and he was burning nothing but Nitrous down the track... Burnt 2 plugs, and fried a exhuast valve. Dry systems are not worth it.

For the record, Nitrous by itself does not burn.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

buzzbomber84crx

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 84 crx 1.5, 88 accord lx, 88 bonneville le
    • Image Gallery
Nitrous is the safest on the motor actually. A turbo will put strain on the motor but isnt that bad on it also. With mega weight reduction you can actually pull a second and a half off of your 1320. id say put some light weight 13" drag rims with slicks in the front and skinny's in the rear, keep all the brakes stock, pull out fender wells and anything inside the fender, pull out the motor and remove a lot of stuff in the engine bay that is unnessisary, remove spare tire and carpet, remove headliner, mirrors and stuff arent needed, take the spoiler off, headlights arent needed and neither are taillights, remove antenna, take the stereo out and stuff like that, remove passenger side seat, weld yourself a roll cage, make yourself a custom intakecoming out where one of the headlights was, put a bag of ice on your intake manifold, buy some cheap motor mods. NOS wet kit because i believe your car is efi-really cheap off of ebay. for a turbo i recommend going to the boneyard and getting yourself a thunderbird turbocoupe turbo and custom fabricating it. buy some arias psitons from jcw for like $500 with rings. All of this should get you going fairly fast. oh yeah and screw the exhaust and all because this car wont be street legal biggrin.gif

1987HondaCrxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Honda Crx
I perfer going turbo, i luv how they sound and the major boost that never runs out. The thing is i still want it street legal. I want to make it like a show car. I think it will look beautiful if u get a molded body kit on it with that big intercooler in the front. ANd i still havent seen a 1st gen crx around here hooked up like that. Every one thinks there garbage but wait till they see mine when its finished.

DarkHand

It's my dream as well to get my 86 Civic hatch in the 12's, but I'm not expecting to do it any time soon. :)

A B18C, bored/resleeved to handle the boost, all upgraded internals bottom and top, a nice big turbo, and heck I'm too tired to keep going but alot more :)

My previous estimates put the price for the motor at about 10 grand, and that's not counting labor, or the essential suspension upgrades required for a motor with that much power. Not to mention the show car stuff you want to add. Better budget $30k. :P
DarkHand