New Transmission With A B16

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

Brokenx732

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si
The transmission i have right now SUCKS. The synchro's are going. So I grind when shifting from 1st - 2nd 2nd - 3rd. And 3rd gear pops. I'm doing a B16A swap when i have the money. Is it possible to also get a new tranny to fit in my 87 si. Or do i need to have my stock one on there? blink.gif blink.gif

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If you do a B16 swap, you need a matching tranny. Your stock one won't work with it.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Brokenx732

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Could you possible tell me what tranny would match it. Or suggest one for me. Cause i would want something that would be better then most.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
If your going to do a swap - get everything for the B16...IM/EM, engine wiring harness, tranny, ECU, distributor...everything yu can get your hands on from the donor car - you will need it, plus some other stuff.

Kirk

milk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si HB______87 Si - RIP
    • Image Gallery
http://www.hasport.com

HTH

toxicshit

i have read that there is a 1.8 non vtec (LS) availible and that it will fit in the Stock Engine Mounts of my G1 CRX.

is that true ?

because im thinking about a [B18C6] Swap or a [1.8 non vtec + Turbo]

what do you think overhere ?

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
The LS tranny is the one i use. It will not fit the stock mounts. None of the stock mounts are used with a B series swap.
The LS tranny is not a close ratio tranny and is not the best one for the engine as all the power is in a narrow rpm range waaaayyyyy up in the rpm. They are more common than the B16 cable tranny though and a lot cheaper.
If you plan on doing a B18C6 (non-vtec?) this would be a good tranny for you, especially if you go turbo. The added torque from that setup would make this ideal.
www.hondaswap.com has a lot of reference material regarding the pieces from each car.

Lyle
twitter: @lylehatton

toxicshit

QUOTE (87sivtec @ May 14 2003, 06:37 PM)
The LS tranny is the one i use.  It will not fit the stock mounts. None of the stock mounts are used with a B series swap. 
The LS tranny is not a close ratio tranny and is not the best one for the engine as all the power is in a narrow rpm range waaaayyyyy up in the rpm.  They are more common than the B16 cable tranny though and a lot cheaper.
If you plan on doing a B18C6 (non-vtec?) this would be a good tranny for you, especially if you go turbo.  The added torque from that setup would make this ideal.
www.hondaswap.com has a lot of reference material regarding the pieces from each car.

Lyle

thnx for the info !

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
B18C6 is, IIRC the rest-of-world equivalent to the GS-R engine. so ya, you'd need a VTEC transmission. best thing to get would be either a JDM cable B16A (88-91 SiR) transmission, or a USDM B17A1 tranny (92-93 Integra GS-R). you'd be better off with the JDM tranny. much more common.

also the VTEC engines do make most of their power way up in the rpms, but the powerband is far from narrow.

the whole idea of VTEC is to WIDEN the powerband, not make it peakier.
check a dyno plot of a B18C1 some time.
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

Brokenx732

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
H Motors.. check this

what about htis. im not saying im gonna buy it or anything.. but it says its 300 bucks optional for a LSD tranny...... if i bought that whole thing with the lsd.... if im hearing right. it comes with the motor AND tranny?????????? blink.gif

Brokenx732

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
mad.gif blink.gif mad.gif ok.. you knwo what.... screw this.. Tell me EXACTLY.. everything i need for this thing to fit in my 87.... and if so sites would help too =)

cause im gonna get confused trying to look for all different stuff. who, what, where should i buy this stuff!!! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
www.hasport.com

That's all you need to know for swap information. Prepare to spend more on the swap than your car is worth. The list of parts necessary to do it is long, so consult HASport.

I'd highly recommend either finding a 92-93 integra GS-R transmission (YS1) or converting your car to use a hydro. tranny (as opposed to cable actuated). There are ways of using a hydro tranny with a cable setup if you don't want to mount a clutch cylinder and run a fluid line.

The B-series transmission design evolved in 1992 to a more bullet-proof unit. The GSR YS1 has the best gear ratios of any B-series cable tranny in the US. Beware that there is a non-GSR YS1 tranny as well, so make sure you know what you are getting.

Most 1G B16A trannies are worn out - the S1, J1, and Y1. It's likely that you'll get one that has the same grinding issues you have now. To date, rebuilding them is not an option AFAIK.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (-TJ @ May 15 2003, 08:55 AM)
To date, rebuilding them is not an option AFAIK.

That's correct. We tried to get a B17 tranny (not sure what designation) rebuilt and found out that you CAN'T buy the synchro's, you can only buy the whole gearset, which is prohibitively expensive. Fucking Honda.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

milk

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si HB______87 Si - RIP
    • Image Gallery
Try contacting Culver at GT Fabrications.

The website is: http://www.gtfabrications.com

b16a87civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic si 1996 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
call hasport (hasport.com) they can sell you everything that you need. they where very helpful. talk to brian or joe. i recommend getting the zdyne computer.