Engine Tapping

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

oeldisplay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx
my engine makes a tapping sound when i accelerate, but not when i am decelerating.
i can hear it good inside of the car.
i was told by a kid that it was the exhust but i dont belive that, i was then told it was probly the valve springs.
the sound comes from near the tranny, the most left pistion to me all i can think of is a type writer sound.

anREXsic

• Truffle Shuffle!
  • PipPip
How loud is this "tapping" noise? And you say it come from the driver side down low? That doesn't sound like exhaust to me. Does it sound somewhat like a knocking noise? Just curious, because it sounds like detonation to me. I could be wrong though. Anyone else got any ideas?
WTB CR-X Si or Civic Si
87 CR-X Si, B16 swap, many upgrades - Sold
07 NIssan Altima - Wifes Car

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.

It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible.

oeldisplay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx
no just a tapping like a type writer, it comes from like the valva cover and i thik it might be a valve spring but the guy did a valve job so shouldnt the valves be fine?
its not too loud but its noticable to other people.

LudeBehavior

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 AWD 2.4 62-1 hybrid turbo talon, gsxr carbed 87 CrxSi,87 SupraT
not sure but can you adjust the lifters/valves then the play will go away with the tapping (make sense??)

anREXsic

• Truffle Shuffle!
  • PipPip
It sounds like the guy didn't do a good job when he did the valve job then.
WTB CR-X Si or Civic Si
87 CR-X Si, B16 swap, many upgrades - Sold
07 NIssan Altima - Wifes Car

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.

It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible.

mayhem019

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I had a '90 prelude si that made a similar noise, and as time went on it got louder and louder. In my case I could be driving at like 2-3k rpms/25ish mph constantly thru a neighborhood and the tapping would be non stop (if I let off the gas it would get quieter) It definately sounded like a typewriter.. We checked the rod bearings and sure enough they were worn past the limit, but hadnt spun yet. So we replaced them with the proper honda bearings and the noise went away for good. You might want to consider checking the clearances

Edited by mayhem019, 03 November 2004 - 04:46 PM.

user posted image

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
I had a guy adjust my lifters for me in my first '87 cause it sounded like that. was only $50.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If you do adjust them, make sure you use the mm scale and not inch scale on the feeler gauges. Not that I've ever done that....
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"