Possible Computer Problems

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

red86crxsi

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 civic crx si, 96 mustang v6
i bought a totaled 86 crx si a few months ago. I now have almost everything completed except a few missing parts(cornerlights, windshield, drivers side bumper to fender slide mount). i have started the car up; it runs it drives, but once the engine is warm the car stops holding idle and stalls every time i stop at a traffic light. there is also a bit of idle pulsing at random times. the previous owner of the car said that this did not happen before the accident(he is a friend so i know he is not lieing). can i get this fixed by taking the car to a local dealer and having them reset the computer, or might it be a censer damaged by the accident? does anyone have any idea what it can be?
thanks, Garrett

erikvn

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '89 Integra Solo II project
Don't hold me to this, but you may have a bad ground. On my Integra, I had fluctuating idle. It was suggested I disconnect the positive battery cable for 15 seconds to reset the ecu. Worked like a charm. I cleaned up the battery ground and the problem has not returned.

Again, I'm not sure if the Si has the same type of ecu, but it's worth a shot.

Edited by erikvn, 29 February 2004 - 05:51 PM.

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Bad grounds will cause all sorts of weird problems like that. It will prevent sensors from getting a good reading, and will prevent voltage from getting to anywhere it's supposed to.
Clean your grounds, all of them. Valve cover, tranny, thermostat housing, and the ones on the chassis as well as at the battery. Disconnect the negative cable for a good 15-20 seconds to reset the ECU, and check that the hazards fuse isn't blown.

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
First, warm up engine until cooling fan kick on. Next, turn off all electrical items that may be on (radio, lights, dome light, etc... <p>Then pull the one or two (depending on the model) ECU fuses located in the main fuse box under the drivers side of the dash. From there you will leave the fuse or fuses out for 60 seconds (no more than 3 min because the engine will cool off). Now you have a blank ECU and to reset it you will restart the engine (DO NOT TOUCH THE GAS PEDDLE THE ENTIRE TIME) allowing it to run for ten min. (no more than twenty). Lastly turn off the engine and restart, that's it you have just properly reset your ECU. In addition if you remove the battery terminals to service, you inadvertently erased the ECU's memory so you will have to most likely reset.

The 1'st gen CRX has no HAZ fuse so do not get confused with reseting a 2'nd gen ECU which dose have this fuse. Also to find out what code your throwing, look under the passanger seat. This is where the ECU is located, looking from the front of the seat you will see four red led lights labeled ( 1 2 4 8 ) You may have to pull back the carpet to get a clear view. These are separate led's and what you will do is add them up to get your code. Example, if it show's a 1+2+4 this equals a 7 which would be a code for a faulty TP sensor. If by chance you see a round window with only one light that flashes then you have a 86 or 87 Integra ECU and you will count the flashes (7 flashes is same code as above). I hope this clears up some of the misconception about 1'st gen ECU's and how to reset them properly

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
see if your throwing a code as stated above

i agree on the grounds, even the ecu has to be bolted down to make it grounded.

idle probs can also be traced to the idle box, check for bad wiring/connections to the TEC box and or the idle control valve.

it could also be a coil or wire...or ignitor on the ditributor

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (LEW @ Feb 29 2004, 10:00 PM)
even the ecu has to be bolted down to make it grounded.

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif Aren runs out to car, sees that the ecu is just siting on the carpet ph34r.gif quickly cuts hole in carpet ph34r.gif stupid DX has no holes to bolt the ecu too ph34r.gif Aren decides to ask the wise man know as LEW if he can just bolt a ground wire to the ecu and the bolt the wire to the seat bracket? ph34r.gif

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Aren D. @ Feb 29 2004, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (LEW @ Feb 29 2004, 10:00 PM)
even the ecu has to be bolted down to make it grounded.

ph34r.gif ph34r.gif Aren runs out to car, sees that the ecu is just siting on the carpet ph34r.gif quickly cuts hole in carpet ph34r.gif stupid DX has no holes to bolt the ecu too ph34r.gif Aren decides to ask the wise man know as LEW if he can just bolt a ground wire to the ecu and the bolt the wire to the seat bracket? ph34r.gif

My DX had the ECU mounts on the floor?
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It dose? Mine dosnt.

red86crxsi

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 civic crx si, 96 mustang v6
to check the codes should i warm up the engine untill the idle starts to pulse, or should it spit out codes right off the bat? i probably will not even see the car again untill at least tuesday or later but i want to get everything cleared up before i get to work.

LEW

• member 420
  • PipPipPipPipPip
the code will show up only when the pgmfi light is lit on the gauge cluster.

the ecu being bolted down was in my case, i'm not 4sure....

user posted image
ebay id mike_lew
user posted image

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1991 Civic Sedan DX (HAHA my parts hauler)
my dx had the mounts for the comp. thats bloody wierd Aren

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well I gess I will have to bust out with the diggy cam......

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Weird. Very weird.

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
This may be a little late but :

DX with no ECU mounts... ph34r.gif

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Interesting...