Newbie To The Site

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

Serks

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 91 CRX SiZC SE
Hey there guys im new to the site, but i am an active member with VCC. ANyways i have an 87 CRX Si and i was wondering what else i can do to get a little more "UMPH" out of the motor???? Any ideas there ppl. And Andrew if you tell me to bring it to you ill have to think about it. But as for the 87 Teg motor i think its still up for sale at Riteway, but im pretty sure it will be more than $400 for you.

Chad

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Welcome, you have come to the right spot for information about your car.

What do you plan on using the car for? A daily driver, occasional autocross, dedicated drag racer? How much do you want to spend? How mechanical are you? How much time do you have?

The cheapest, easiest mods are the typical car mods.... reduce weight and improve breathing.

Let us know what your plans are for this car and we will be happy to help.

Scott
email me for a copy of the 1st Gen CRX FAQ file: [email protected]
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Start off slow, at least thats what I did. I knew how to drive my car when i first got it, thats all I knew about it. Nowi know a CRX inside and out pretty well and I used to know nothing about a car, now i know quite a bit for only getting into it a year ago.

Start with a cone filter perhaps, or just remove the little thing under the air filter.

Next... mufflers, a muffler can REALLY kill a car's performance. Add something thats a straight flow muffler, just make sure it's a comfy sound level for you,
I run straight pipes (it's my DD too) and it's really loud!

Now you can get into it more, start taking stuff out of the car you dont need (panels, etc..), if you want .. take a sawz-all to the bumper supports to lighten it up.

Now i'd decide where you want to go with the car, me having a small budget decided to try and work for a turbo, some guys go for engine hop-ups, others go for suspension upgrades, and some do motor swaps. Some, do all of the above mentioned....

And most importantly.... READ THE RED PEPPER FORUMS EVERYDAY! Thats where i owe 90% of my CRX knowledge!

I love RPR.....

Edited by lemons, 12 July 2004 - 04:06 PM.

I have nothing...

pwr_crx

You say you are an active member of VCC is that vancouver civics club?

If so, we have a lot of members in the 604 here...just fyi tongue.gif
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T

Serks

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well i know a fair bit about CRX's its just that im wondering what i can do to the motor without swapping. Already have the filter and got a complete 2.25" exhaust system for it as well. And as for mechanical wise i work at a mechanics shop as a service advisor so i have shop access np. Would probably be looking at the cheap start first off as im going to be movingout at the end of the month, so its going to be a slow process to build up this car. I would like to get ahold of another 1g CRX and use it as a drifter, i have seen a few Rex's used for drifting. But i want to take tha car out to the track every now and then. So ya it will be a DD and a track slut on the odd weekend.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Great, you are well on your way.

The D15A3 is actually a good engine..... strangled by the restrictive intake side of the head. The good news is that it is not hard to overcome this shortcoming.

The throttlebody is a unique design and there is no commercially available replacement to get it to breathe better. For racing, some guys replace the injection system with side draft carb's, others talk about using Individual Throttle Bodies. I prefer using a larger Honda throttlebody from the 86-89 Integra. This is not a direct bolt on, it requires some fabrication.

The head is fairly low compression, shaving the head to raise compression by .0040" will yield compression in the range of 9.5:1.

The stock cam is OK, but you can find more aggressive grinds for about US $200.

Throw in some porting and polishing, and your stock engine can make pretty good HP without a swap (and the resulting weight penalty).

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Serks

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Ya the cam im going to get done from a buddy that i can get a really good deal from, but thanks for some of the info there Scott.

Ill keep you all posted on the updates of the car and ill post picks as well when i get her.

Chad

Edited by Serks, 12 July 2004 - 06:04 PM.

D16CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1991 Civic Sedan DX (HAHA my parts hauler)
Hey chad. I still have my turbo kit. T25, manifold, intercooler and pipeing. 250.00 and its your. Call me.

Serks

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
$250 for a complete Turbo eh Andrew???????? i may just take you up on that, and ill let you and your brother put it in as well just for shits and giggles.

crxhybrid85

• D-Series Power
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 97 Integra RS w/H22
Definately do the suspension. If I could start all over I would have done that before the swap. I put koni's all around and Eibach springs in the back. It totally transformed my car. And the Eibach's suck too, way too soft. Throw in a rear sway bar and a front strut tower brace and that car will out handle the newer double wishbone Honda's. Then you can put on that turbo kit and pretty much own everyone. biggrin.gif
Brown Top ZC 85 Si
H22 97 Integra RS

SportInjectedClub

user posted imageuser posted image

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
Welcome to the site. I am another Abbotsford resident. Hope to see you at the drags and crx meet.
twitter: @lylehatton

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Didn't Serks stiff Eldo for 2500??? Not cool.

http://www.redpepper...topic=10709&hl=

Edited by CRXfanatic, 19 July 2004 - 07:31 AM.

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

pwr_crx

How about you pay Ed back before you start buying things for your car.
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T