Jrsc D16A1 In 1G Crx?

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: element , f550, 86 crx

Has any one put the jackson racing super charger on a d16a1 or any DOHC zc with the adapter?  does the sohc crank pulley fit the d16a1?

curious on firewall clearance and crank pulley before I buy a used sc to install. 

sc seems like the least amount of components and cleanest install for boost. 

Also would like to keep my a/c. I not looking to make a ton of power just 150-170 whp.

If any one knows if it fits or has seen pictures of this that would be great, if this does work I would like to use this thread for documentation of progress/results. 
Thanks

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

Yes, -TJ has one setup that way...do some searching on this site and I bet you can find pictures of it.

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage

You will have fitment issues with the master cylinder and charger pulley, unless your RHD. You will need to eliminate the brake booster and go to full manual brakes. Also there are heat soak issues with the charger. Yes while you are able to shove more air into the motor, you start dealing with the charger getting hot and all you are shoving is hot air. There is a company in Tampa Fl that modifies the charger by adding an intercooler to it. Check it out for yourself. http://lhtperformanc...ntercooler.html

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I have done a fair bit of reading since I posted and yes the booster needs to be eliminated.

I'm not sure an intercooler is really necessary for my hp goals. My plan was for 6-9 psi which ever it takes to reach 150-170 hp. Its a light car and I would prefer to keep it all balanced. reasonable power, good suspension, good brakes.  If heat becomes and issue then I would add water injection. Its lighter weight system and doesn't bother me needing to fill it, I don't drive this car that much. 

On to the brake issue.  stock master cylinder 13/16" I believe for a dx someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I swap 1G integra front calipers 54mm, which are larger pistons to help correct the brake force issue. Will the brakes be more rear bias since its still the same diameter rear wheel cylinders? or is the rear piston in the master cylinder smaller?

I've done some reading on brake force calculations, but  still need to do more. I need to measure stock pedal ratio, so I can get accurate numbers to size brake master cylinder.  

I would like to get the brakes done before I park it for winter. Look for a good deal on a supercharger, and work on suspension one piece at a time. Like I said I don't drive this car a lot but would prefer it stays in drive able condition most of the time. 

Transmission is another issue I need to tackle, 5th gear is way to short for modern freeway speeds IMO. I've heard of using 5th gear from an accord?? what about final drive, it would be nice to get it down to 4.00 ish. doing nearly 4k on the highway. 

also I couldn't find any info on tj , I did find a few posts on supercharged 1g's but no pictures.

Edited by crxracer87si, 05 October 2017 - 01:56 PM.

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage

When we do brake swaps. Most of us use the 86/89 Integra front brakes with an 85 dual carb Prelude MC, which is 7/8's dia. This combo works pretty well for these light cars. A lot are now swapping out to the 88/91 CRX Si calipers and rotors due to more readily available parts. I am running JDM Accord twin pistons on my sedan with a 15/16 MC. 

I do not have the Accord gears in my CG trans, but I hear they will reduce the RPMs by 700 at 70mph. 

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

yes - the Accord or Prelude 5th will work and it does drop the revs.  If memory is right the Prelude is .757 and 4K RPM = 87 MPH and the Accord is .69 and 4K RPM is 96 MPH.  I ran the Prelude one for a long time and when I went back to tracking my CRX I took it out...don't do any freeway driving any more.  Only complaint is the slight whine from the gear set.  I am almost 100% positive I have the Accord gear.

You pay shipping and it is yours?

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I would gladly pay shipping for the gear set, even some extra to boot. 

I never gave an introduction.

Rewind 17 years, I bought my first car an 87 crx si black, wrecked it in a week. found another body not quite as nice with bad engine. My father and I swapped all the good parts from wrecked to new one. a year later I figured out I could swap in a d16a1. spun a rod bearing, rebuilt in my mothers basement, I was 17. By 18 got bored with it, bought a 300zx. sold the car. haven't owned another Honda (don't have a reason) owned a lot of cars since then My favorite being a 76 fairlady Z I found in auto rv trader, was in a barn, bad clutch  not running. removed the bosch efi l20 and five speed to preserve, installed l28 f54 block n42 head, with a good cam, header and triple mikuni's, lost to a building fire 10 years ago.

here it is the day i picked it up

100_0591.jpg

Couple months ago bought an Element, VW tdi was just getting to old. 

Then this car showed up for sale on craigslist a  clean low mile 86 dx, and the d16a1 swap was done already, I got a flash back, couldn't remember why I sold my crx and went and bought it. 

IMG_62291.jpg

Just really trying to build this car right. 

And thank you for helping . 

Edited by crxracer87si, 08 October 2017 - 12:08 AM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Wow...a Fairlady!  Love those cars - the blue was my favorite as well.  Shoot me an email to [email protected] with your shipping address - I will go hunt down the gear set in the garage today

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I have been looking around for someone to regrind zc cams, and all the posts I have found are all pretty dated. Is there anyone left that will regrind a set of zc cams?  

For the present time I have given up on a jrsc, as every kit I have found has been missing pieces, so I will keep looking but not holding my breath. Plan B is to add what hp I can with some bolt on's, cams, header, tune ec, already has a zc intake, may use chedda adapter and get skunk2 manifold. 

My main focus will be suspension and brakes. 

I am looking for feed back on traction bars, are they a drag race only thing? or does it help with overall handling?

If it hasn't been done I would like to do a write up on replacing 5th gear. Thanks again gtpilot. 

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Geoff @ Colt Cams

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Talked to Geoff at colt cams, super friendly and really knows his stuff, thanks for the info gt. the tri flow cams look like best bet, he says they will work with forced induction as well if I choose to do that later.  as soon as I can swap out my cams to send them off .  In the mean time i got a cheapo cold air intake for a 88-91 civic installed , PO has a cone filter right on throttle body and hood hinge spacers that couldn't be removed until the filter was relocated. With that bit taken care of, I found a JRSC local I'm going to look at tomorrow to see how complete it is.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

awesome news!

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Well it wasn't great but it was local. Snout seal leaking and no tensioner bracket.I knocked down the price for missing pieces.

From what I've read jrsc bracket seems to require periodic tightening . At least more often than alternator would normally.

Snow started flying today so car is done for the year. Need to finish up a few other projects then I can get crx in shop,and make a bracket with a auto tensioner. 

Probably will drop engine to upgrade clutch at same time, also will make it easier to fabricate the bracket. 

I have a feeling if I make a spacer plate to go in between supercharger and manifold it will drop the snout enough to fit under brake master. That's my feeling anyway, if doesn't work, back to original plan of booster removal.  Attempting to not stray too far from a streetable car. This is going to be a slow tedious process.

I am on the hunt for a crank pulley. I either need to machine a v groove in a double serpentine pulley or some how covert to a newer serpentine a/c compressor. My car left the dealer with a/c, PO had the sense to keep it with the engine swap, and I have not been able to live without it for some time. I know its extra weight, but I like having a/c and interior and basic 80's honda " amenities" 

The factory dx am/fm and speakers do leave a little bit to be desired, I usually leave it off. 

PO also filled factory engine mounts and it has made the interior a bit noisy , hope a taller fifth gear helps, but I don;t know If I love the filled mounts. Definitely makes you feel a move connected and can't feel the engine move like other cars. I'm looking for something better, best of both kinda thing. 

crxracer87si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Progress has been made .

Installed new fifth gear (thanks again Gtpilot).

rpms dropped to 3200 at 70 mph so much nicer than 4000 rpm. but the exhaust is still too loud for my taste.  Car already had a "custom" exhaust. where a cat normally would be I installed a straight through muffler hoping it would help and it didn't, ordered a HI flow cat to install instead. haven't received it yet  to install or comment. 

Worked on brake master positioning. 

Plan is to mill a 1" aluminum plate at 15-20 deg angle to act as an adapter plate to delete booster, move booster up slightly ( will reposition linkage on pedal to change ratio) and angle MC slightly upward to clear JRSC. 

Trying to keep faith in this engine, K series swap keeps coming up in my head. In part because no tuning is required to have what is really respectable HP. 

But with limited time and not having mounts pre made so the car could at least be rolled out of shop it is only a pipe dream.

I can't really down any thing in my shop for long periods of time due to running a business and having a small shop. 

That's about it for now. Haven't had much time this year only driven the car 200 miles since Oct last year. 

Making slow progress but keeping at it. 

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery

Very nice - glad to see that you are still moving forward.  Do you have a picture of your engine bay?  People around here like engine PRON...