New '86 Dx Owner With A Few Questions

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for the past month or so and can honestly say that the support this forum provides was a huge driving factor in picking up an '86 DX CRX.  The car needs some TLC, but has good bones.  I'm trying to sort out a high idle, and after messing with it over the weekend got it to go from ~3k rpm's to an average 1.5k rpm's.  The previous owner replaced the carb a few years ago and gave me the old one in a box for parts (or just to get it out of his shed).  Upon inspecting the 'new' one, I saw that it's missing a port that goes into what I believe is the fast idle control valve.  It's vacuum hose #28, but I can't find exactly what it does.  I closed it off and it didn't seem to affect the idle for better or worse, so I'm not sure if I'm chasing the wrong thing at this point. 

You can clearly see the hose that's not connected to anything and where it should go.  Is this a problem?  I could probably disassemble this whole diaphragm/linkage system and swap the one from the original carb over.  Wasting my time?

photo_zpsdd7cc6d0.jpg

I still need to change the fuel filters, as I think the car was sitting for a few years with fuel in the tank. 

I'm also getting an immense amount of stinky smoke from the exhaust.  It's not white or blue, but just grey'ish and reaks of fuel.  I can't start the car in my garage for more than a minute without it choaking me out (with the door open).  This might have something to do with the issue that I figured was worth mentioning.  Maybe something different altogether. 

Thanks,

Nick

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

This was about 30 seconds after starting it last night.  As I said, it smokes badly at first and tapers off as it progresses through the different choke settings and eventually warms up.

photo_zps41f97f68.jpg

It doesn't smell like oil or coolant, nor does it look blue or white.  Just a terrible exhaust smell, is that a sign of it being extremely rich?  Bad gas?  I was able to get the warmed up idle to settle right at 1k rpm's.  I'm okay with that for now, especially seeing as a bunch of lines were disconnected and I had the filter housing off the carb.

Thought the picture would be amusing at the very least.

JcleanDrx1stM

• apple jack
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si

Have you taken it apart yet?