The Adventures Of Kamikaze_fish

• You cannot reply to this topic
43 replies to this topic

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
Ok, picked up 2 85's this weekend courtesy of 85c-rex. Forgot the camera at my parents house so here's the scoop:

'85 CRX dx 5spd
painted black, need repainted.
Good:
130k miles, starts easy, low rust but is rusted
Bad:
Much of the interior needs restored/replaced/found
Transmission is in process of dieing. Had 2 quarts of fluid that came out when I checked the level. Lots of glitter. Clutch also feels like it needs replaced
Needs tires
No battery

'85 civic 1.3l 5spd hatchie
Burgandy
Good:
minimal rust factor, 120k miles, si interior swapped in
Bad:
won't start
Right rear brake drum removed so wheel cylinder has popped out, no brakes now
Originally canadian car and was automatic.
Carb shoots gas like water gun onto the master cylinder
Needs tires and wheels
1 stud missing on right rear
no radiator cap
no battery

Purchased:
Carb rebuild kit, brake hardware kit (rear), 2x brake drums, brake shoes, dist cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, thermostat, oil, oil filter, air filter, 2x battery, 2x wheel cylinder

Done today:
Hatchie:
took pictures before I started, wife cleaned the hatchback and it's looking pretty good already. In trying to start the car is when I found the carb shot out gas. I replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, wires but when turning over there's a backfire sounded like it was coming through the carb. Drained the radiator, changed the oil, replaced the wiper blades, tightened many nuts that I found loose through-out the car
CRX:
drained the excess fluid that smelled burnt and like regular motor oil that was in the transmission. Wasn't totally sure of the condition of the internals so corrected the level of fluid and drove it a half block to discover that it makes too much clatter to drive and is a little jerky. Most likely there's some chunks floating around where they shouldn't be. When letting off the gas there is such a loud whine that it's scarey. Need to find a tranny just going to swap it out.

Now for the seriously troubling part of it all. They're sitting at my parents house and I've been given 2 weeks to get them both going and out of there.
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kamikaze_fish @ Sep 24 2006, 09:44 PM)
Now for the seriously troubling part of it all.  They're sitting at my parents house and I've been given 2 weeks to get them both going and out of there.

Dang. Ummm wasn't there another hatchie out there?

I wanna be a member of SAHCRE.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ Sep 24 2006, 10:17 PM)
Dang.  Ummm wasn't there another hatchie out there?
I wanna be a member of SAHCRE.

SAHCR Membership granted biggrin.gif Voting to promote to VP status initiated.

Yeah, there's another hatchie out there but we don't want to talk about it. She's very very very unhappily sitting there rusted through, interior missing, drivetrain missing.
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
BTW I'm retarded. Can I get a mod to move this to the technical/builds area?
QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Done.
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Ok, today's update, considering I only get about 1 hour of daylight for working on the weeknights there won't be as much progress as i would hope but some is better than none. I have found a few available trannys for the rex and will start my carb rebuild tomorrow night. Never done one before so I'm nervous and excited for it. I did find out why the hatchie wouldn't start. I made sure all the timing was correct and everything was except for 1 small detail, the carb was 180 degrees wrong. Fixed that so I'm excited to get that carb done. I have pics with me now but I need somewhere to upload them. Kind of embarrased that I don't currently have anywhere. unsure.gif

edit: Also found out that I need a new alternator and belt. Timing belt actually looks good but I'm going to keep an eye on it. I flushed and filled the radiator, pressurized the system best I could with a garden hose and couldn't find any leaks so I'm excited about that since there was no rad cap. Now there's a cap and she's full of water. Going to let it sit overnight to see if the level goes down any. I'll change the thermostat in the next few days.

Edited by kamikaze_fish, 25 September 2006 - 09:40 PM.

QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Was going to get some pics up finally but nooo I brought the wrong cable today. Decided to put a list of known needs before they can be driven.
rex:
Transmission
Clutch
check wheel cylinders (prior owner said one might be bad)
sand/grind/fiberglass/paint
Clean interior up
Repair dangling fog lamp
put passenger seat back in
replace windshield

Hatchie:
tighten and insert pins in castle nuts on ball joints both sides
replace alternator and or belt
find timing belt cover and install
fix and reinstall carb
fix driver door not shutting all the way

Thoughts for future:
Have an extra 1.3l. Thinking about rebuilding it with gas mileage in mind. I could show up all the new hybrids with old school "outdated" technology.

Questions:
The hatchie appears to have had trim on it that has been removed. This has left a nasty look along the sides of the car. What should I do? Repaint the car or find a trim alternative for replacement?
QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kamikaze_fish @ Sep 26 2006, 09:40 AM)
Questions:
The hatchie appears to have had trim on it that has been removed.  This has left a nasty look along the sides of the car.  What should I do?  Repaint the car or find a trim alternative for replacement?

Gaffers tape. cool.gif

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
You for real? That's actually kind of what I was thinking. Well something close to that anyway.
QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
For the time being, I mean, you are going to have to replace it after rain and snow, but it is a cheap temp fix for now, that or learn how to weld and bondo it. I fG'd mine, Granted right now they look like @$$ but Its doing the trick.

Or picking up some generic body molding from Advance or Pepe' boys

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
Need help bad! It appears that either the parts store got my carb rebuild kit wrong but not likely since the paperwork inside it says 84-86 civic, OR there's a significant difference in CDM vs USDM carbs. I'm sure that there's a difference. Does anyone have anything that I can read that explains what does what on a carb? There's 1 thing that I question which is the "stuff" that initiates the choke but I have a manual choke also, so what's the use of the other stuff? Also, there's these vacuum things that are on there that I have no idea what they are or if they're needed. Here we go again with wishing I had pics up. I'm thinking that my only 2 options are, find USDM carb at a yard or have a canadian ship me a canadian rebuild kit. Ahhh frustration!
QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
from what ive always heard cdm carbs are different. i have like 5 usdm carbs. no value to me. i got em free

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
SHE RUNS!!!!!! Ok, couldn't let it rest. I took the carb back to the car and put it on, and it started. Shot up to 4k rpm and slowly backed down to about 3000. Tapping the gas I got it to come down to about 2k and then it would die. After help from eldo's post I bet that has to do with no fuel since I didn't connect the wire up. Anyway I'm super tired and will post more later. Jeff, we may talk later about those smile.gif
QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
PICS! Sorry for some of the sizes.

First up, the hatch of love:

No, the cobwebs aren't for halloween

Next up, Rextopher Walken

Indication of tranny failure? Notice the glitter in the pan?

Togetherness creates happiness

Edited by kamikaze_fish, 26 September 2006 - 11:10 PM.

QUOTE(zakats)

user posted image

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hey, are those composite headlamps? Or just regular sealed beams? They look really clean on the hatchie.

ohmy.gif I just thought of something, you could actually have the edm headlights on it.