The Project.........

• You cannot reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1989 CR-X Ef8 RHD , 1993 CR-X DEL SOL EG2 RHD
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jul 22 2006, 09:33 PM)
meaning better laugh.gif

Strudel should be able to help out with the wiring, i'm sure.

ya thanks i lernt a new word!!! yes...
and i know sturdel will post in this topic as soon as hes on so he he'll know whats up! biggrin.gif man i just want to get this swap done im willing to take as long of time as i can... well i mean i can be real pationt but when it gets done im gonna be soooo happy!!!!

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (3gencivic @ Jul 22 2006, 08:36 PM)
he im the one with the engine.
if it helps its 100% teg wireing from t heengine bay to th edash to the fuse box to the rear of the car so really it woudl jsut be amater of taking the old harrness out and thie one in. so wireing isnt that had.

this is a complete setup all but a starter and intake piping

That's good to hear 3gencivic. And I've got a spare D16A1 starter if you want it Chris. Plus a spare air box (intake piping), if I can find it.

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jul 22 2006, 09:37 PM)
That's good to hear 3gencivic. And I've got a spare D16A1 starter if you want it Chris. Plus a spare air box (intake piping), if I can find it.

alright thanks guys!!! and scott for helping me threw this big mess!!!!

crazi-85crx

I've just got a couple little questions that need clearing up:

1. Will the CRX hubs work with the integra axles?
2. What needs to be swapped in the guage cluster to make it work with the blacktop?
3. What car would the speedo cable need to come out of?
4. Will he need the integra throttle linkage if it's going into a DX?

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
the crx hubs are diff so no axles wont fit
not sure what swaps but th teg cluster comes with it
cable i belive is the same if not a 88-89 teg one will do
the throtal cable im not sure probably have to change that too. seeing the fi use diff cables.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery

2. What needs to be swapped in the guage cluster to make it work with the blacktop?

Well here I am but may not be a lot of help. First I will answer the 4 questions.

1.Yes and no. The easy way is to use the Teg hubs and axles and brakes. I have read that you can build a hybrid axle using the Teg axles and the CRX hubs by swapping the CV joints on the outer side of the axle.

2. Blacktop needs the VSS connected to satisfy the ECU or you get a code but apparently still runs fine if you can live with a PGMFI light on all the time. There are write ups on here how to do that. Plus you need to wire in a couple more wires. Kakabox has a good write up on the Browntop wiring.

3. CRX stock cable.

4. That I have no knowledge of but I suspect it will be totally different and either the Si or Teg cable being required.

5. Convert the car to FI is the first order of business. I have an Si so can't elaborate. But some say there is an issue with the fuel lines being too small and others not. Fuel pump may be different but am not sure.

6. You need the passenger and rear mount from the Teg and the CRX drivers side with a little modification to make it fit the timing cover.

Read this site as it gives detailed instruction: http://technet.ff-squad.com/index.htm but I know see that Scott already gave it to you.

Crxboi- Are you buying an engine from 3gencivic as this is not clear? As far as the thread goes thank Scott for telling everyone what it was all about. First rule of thumb is to give a good description of exactly what it is about or we are all guessing.

My other advice is to do a lot of research and reading to get up to speed on what it is you want to do so you are more or less familiar with it first. Also lxndr is quite right about finding a donor car unless you are good at scouring the JY for parts and can get them cheap. Unfortunately Craigslist is not of much value in our area as pickings are slim and prices higher.

I got a complete donor Browntop for $300 from the JY. Go there and find the car you want if it has most of the stuff and trailer it home and strip it. When done call them to pick it up and usually they will tow it away for scrap.

As far as wiring I can help somewhat for the Blacktop but again it depends on which method you go with. A Teg harness or an Si harness. Makes a difference in how to do certain stuff. Hope that is enough info to keep you busy for a while. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jul 22 2006, 06:47 PM)

1. As strudel mentioned you can make hybrid axles, but it's just as easy (if not easier) to swap the hubs. This also makes future replacement of CV axles alot easier.

2. For an 88-89 D16A1 swap you need an 84-87 CRX HF VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located within the speedometer gauge itself. The wiring is incredibly easy, just hook one side of the VSS to the ECU and ground the other side. There is absolutely no need for the little white box or "amplifier" that is attached to the back of the HF VSS, it doesn't do anything relevant to the swap. Just cut the wires to the VSS and wire it in. You can also use an '85 CRX SI gauge cluster along with any 88+ Civic VSS, there's a write up in my image gallery.

3. The stock Civic/CRX speedo cable will work fine.

4. A stock SI throttle cable will work but an 86-87 Teg cable gives you a little more room. Don't use an 88-89 Teg cable since it has a different fitting on the pedal end.

Edited by lxndr, 23 July 2006 - 01:16 AM.

warder

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Honda Civic SI 1986
I have some questions too. Even though this isnt my project, Im not meaning to take over the thread or anything.

1. What are all the advantages to dropping a blacktop into a 1986 Civic SI? Like are those engines easier to find performance upgrades for?

2. Would dropping a Blacktop(whats the engine code?) be better than dropping in a d16z?

3. Whats the power on the redtop?( I was just kidding about the pinktop) There is a red top isnt there?

4. Would you guys be intrested in making descisions on my project when I get my car? Like help me out with what I should get and stuff? Ill be sure to keep you guys updated. The cars gonna be black so I think Im gonna name it "Black Pepper". Im 16, this is going to be my first real car. and I have very little knowledge about cars and Im going to use my SI to learn about cars on.

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Alright what im looking for is how to throw in a black top or a brow top into my crx... reason being i dont think i would like to rebuild my ew1 motour and make it bigger, i want fuel injuection im a lot more famillerar with thoes motors and i can get a lot more power from them cause i know next spring i will be turboing it after the motor swap is done.. so i have been looking for a parts car for a long time and im going to scour the junk yard today so i can take a look for a parts car and also look threw the bargin finder to find one. so which every one comes first thats the motor thats going in!!!

Thanks alot for all you info guys i really appreciate it!!!
-Chris

crazi-85crx

Well if you're looking to turbo it, the blacktop will offer more tuning capabilities because of the electronics; But that kinda thing is overkill. Wessider (from Edmonton) is running megasquirt on his turbo'd browtop in his CRX, and runs really good after tuning cool.gif.

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jul 23 2006, 02:34 PM)
Well if you're looking to turbo it, the blacktop will offer more tuning capabilities because of the electronics; But that kinda thing is overkill. Wessider (from Edmonton) is running megasquirt on his turbo'd browtop in his CRX, and runs really good after tuning.

so you saying that if i wanted to turbo it the black top is probally my best option!!!

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (crxboi @ Jul 23 2006, 01:43 PM)
so you saying that if i wanted to turbo it the black top is probally my best option!!!

No, i'm just saying it's easier to control timing with the blacktop. The browntop is just the easier swap of the two.

crxboi

• Got Rice?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jul 23 2006, 02:47 PM)
No, i'm just saying it's easier to control timing with the blacktop. The browntop is just the easier swap of the two.

ok well im off to the junk yard to see what i can get!!!

crazi-85crx

Goodluck. And whatever you find, build a plan from that.

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (warder @ Jul 23 2006, 06:01 AM)
I have some questions too. Even though this isnt my project, Im not meaning to take over the thread or anything.

If you're starting with carbed car, it makes no difference which D16A1 motor you swap since you will be swapping all the electrical anyway. The wiring changes needed to swap a blacktop into an SI is really not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. If you use the Integra engine harness with the SI main harness, you only need to splice/re-pin about 10 wires.

1. The benefit of the blacktop (88-89 Integra D16A1) is lighter rods, higher compression and an electronic advance distributor. Also there are OBD1 parts available for this motor which opens up a whole new range of ECU options. If you're planning to do any major motor modifications, the blacktop motor is the way to go.

2. I'd rather have a DOHC motor over a SOHC VTEC motor any day. A DOHC motor allows for more cam tuning options and the head flows better. The DOHC D16A1 is also a much easier swap in an 84-87 Civic/CRX.

3. There is no "redtop" DOHC ZC or D16A1.

4. We're always here to help.