Electrical Drain....

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

zboult

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1999 Saturn SL2, 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1999 Suzuki GS500e
So, I originally thought it was my altanator that had gone out. So I went to autozone and replaced it. Then they said my battery was bad... So I replaced it. Then my starter and coil... Now I am beginning to think I have an open connector some where. Tomorrow I will go buy an altometer and start the search. I am thinking about starting with the headlight, windshield wiper and turn signal switches in the collum. I might be wrong, but I think this might be the problem because my windshield wipers just stoped working and my turn signals went out about a month ago. What are your thoughts?

mallardtape

QUOTE (zboult @ Mar 2 2011, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, I originally thought it was my altanator that had gone out. So I went to autozone and replaced it. Then they said my battery was bad... So I replaced it. Then my starter and coil... Now I am beginning to think I have an open connector some where. Tomorrow I will go buy an altometer and start the search. I am thinking about starting with the headlight, windshield wiper and turn signal switches in the collum. I might be wrong, but I think this might be the problem because my windshield wipers just stoped working and my turn signals went out about a month ago. What are your thoughts?

heres a thread that addresses your problem Key Off Drain

Edited by mallardtape, 02 March 2011 - 09:27 PM.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hook up your volt meter and see how much drain you are getting, then one by one pull fuses till it goes away, that will at least set you on a circuit where the drain is.
Posted Image

zboult

• Granny
  • Pip
Thanks, guys for the help. I found no drain, but the new alt wasn't even producing 12v.

mallardtape

QUOTE (zboult @ Mar 4 2011, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, guys for the help. I found no drain, but the new alt wasn't even producing 12v.

If you're buying autozone parts do not get the cheeper priced ones. You will run into this problem again. I have had nothing but bad luck with their parts. As you found out their new parts are many times bad as well or when they do work they fail quickly. Try shopping somewhere else

zboult

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (mallardtape @ Mar 4 2011, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're buying autozone parts do not get the cheeper priced ones. You will run into this problem again. I have had nothing but bad luck with their parts. As you found out their new parts are many times bad as well or when they do work they fail quickly. Try shopping somewhere else

I wish I had read this earlier. I had the alt tested after I installed it and guess what... So I think I will go to advanced tomorrow...

AggressiveST

O'Reilly's has always been my favorite, lately Advance has been impressing me. Never, ever will I buy parts from Auto Zone.
THEN: soon after that : next in order of time, position, narration, or enumeration <walked to the door, then turned><first came the clowns, and then came the elephants>

THAN: used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity <anywhere else than at home><older than I am> <easier said than done>

metal_guitar76

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 89 Honda civic, fuel injected
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zboult @ Mar 2 2011, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe main relay wires are crossed? if somebody messed with the car wiring before you got the car and some wires are crossed where there not supposed to be then ...there u go......something must be making u lose your wiper function and turn signal function as far as bad fuses, crossing wires , bad relays, etc.....check the wiring harness inside and out...maybe a burned wire shielding is touching somethind bad......look behind the fuse box wires and see if they look "normal"......I've seen idiots mess with the wiring behind the fuse box when they custom wire stuff and they don't know what their doing and they fry things out one at a time.........i've had good results with aftermarket alternators....you can go back or go to advance and have them check your 12 volt alt. output for free....if its not pushing 12 V....then tighten up your alt. belt or exchange it....
Driving down the road, stereo cranked !!!