You Want To Put A 88+ Dseries Into A 1g/3g

• You cannot reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic

rasyblub

That's a good idea but I just have an entire 90 hatch as a donor but thank you for that link I had read that before but couldn't remember where lol

jacksrallye

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
i have done this conversion on my 86 1.3 auto, i used hasport mounts, clutch conversion, std short shaft, and a shortened long shaft (removed the circlip and took about 25mm of the shaft). a d series linkage shortened about 12 inches, i made the loom from a civic esi, i use the car everyday, its nippy to say the least, the mounts are amazing, they fit perfect, i would say it wasnt much harder than a eg b16 conversion in the uk on a d15b2 eg,
well worth it
Posted Image

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
For possible other peoples use, here are the ecu pinouts I used for an EW5 to D16A8 conversion. They are FI, JDM/AUDM.

http://www.redpepper...t EW5 D16A8.jpg

http://www.redpepper...W5 D16A8#2 .jpg

I had two Gen1 crx's, two spare gen 1 crx harnesses, and two gen 2 crx's to look at. Can't say they were all the same, surprising little differences between them. Couple of wires I still am not sure what they actually do. But this wire-up is working.
It is basic. No air conditioning, no idle control solenoid, no atmospheric pressure sensor, no ELD. I did use a D16A8 engine harness to supply the extra bits needed. And rather than swap engine bay pin connectors around I ran the new wires separately from the sensor/dissy to the ecu, with separate connectors at the firewall.
Adding ecu A connector pins was difficult, as I found the connector A pins to be different profiles between cars about 6 months apart on build date. I needed to physical deform pins so they made contact consistently. Check the end profiles of anything you use to see if they suit or can be made to suit.
Other than that its patience, and a lot of practice depinning connectors. They are an art rather than a skill.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

86crxmayn

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 92 civic si hatch,86 civic crx si
I have to say, many thanks to you and all the other pages on RPR.I am the owner of a 86 civic crx si and i swaped in my obd1 d16z6 out of an eg civic.without all this info from RPR this would have been much harder then it realy was.To be honest i most likely whouldnt even have tried to swap in a newer d series if i dident see it was possible from hear.So thanks again for helping me help an old school crx!

Lycanthropy

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 86 CRX Si

First time posting here, hi!
I'll be getting a D15B with E V-Tec(?), it's unconfirmed as to what honda it came from exactly, and this will be very valuable info.
I'll make a thread about it when it gets kickin', Lord knows I'll need the help then.
Thanks!

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

First time posting here, hi!
I'll be getting a D15B with E V-Tec(?), it's unconfirmed as to what honda it came from exactly, and this will be very valuable info.
I'll make a thread about it when it gets kickin', Lord knows I'll need the help then.
Thanks!

You mean V-TEC E? It's the JDM version of the D15Z1. I am doing the same swap but I am doing it with the D15Z1 trans so I am also using the Hasport mounts.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

i have done this conversion on my 86 1.3 auto, i used hasport mounts, clutch conversion, std short shaft, and a shortened long shaft (removed the circlip and took about 25mm of the shaft). a d series linkage shortened about 12 inches, i made the loom from a civic esi, i use the car everyday, its nippy to say the least, the mounts are amazing, they fit perfect, i would say it wasnt much harder than a eg b16 conversion in the uk on a d15b2 eg,
well worth it

25 mm is about 1", The Hasport custom length shaft is 1 3/4" shorter than the stock Driver's side cv shaft.

jacksrallye

• Granny
  • Pip

i never measured exactly, i do remember removing the circlip totaly from one side, it was a case of trial and error, what i can say my car was a auto, and im sue it had a shorter long shaft, but i can say i never had any bother with the shafts after the conversion.

windraver

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: '86 CRX si

i never measured exactly, i do remember removing the circlip totaly from one side, it was a case of trial and error, what i can say my car was a auto, and im sue it had a shorter long shaft, but i can say i never had any bother with the shafts after the conversion.

You said you shortened the longer shaft, was it the axle for your 86? I'm having issues with my axle popping out so I'm trying to see if its length related.

Turbocivichatch

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1986 crx
Ok, my question may have been answered already and if so I apologize. I'm helping a good friend of mine put a d16y8 and auto trans, not sure why he kept it auto, into a 86 1.3 auto. My question is can anyone please help us Out with the wiring part of the swap. So far we are using the engine bay harness from the donor y8, not sure if that's the correct harness to use or not. Any help would be much appreciated.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip

You could just add a bunch of wires for the Vtec solenoid, 4 wire O2, Vtec oil pressure, extra wires for the distributor, auto tranny wires, ect and just run them from your y8 wire harness to the proper pins on an OBD0 to OBD1 ECU jumper harness OR buy an 88-89 Integra harness which is OBD0. You'll need the main harness, dash harness, and engine wire harness. If your sticking with auto then you'll want to find an auto wire harness. Some wiring will need to be removed like for the retractor headlights, cruise control if you don't want it and it has it, ect stuff you don't think you'll need. Mostly wires will either have to be shortened or stretched to get them to the right places on your car. I've layed the Civic SI harness on top of the Integra and it is really close. The only problem I see is mounting the Integrated Control Unit. Maybe you could just stuff it behind/above the bottom plastic that the buzzer is mounted to. Keep your old harness till your done, you may need to borrow plugs off of it if you go that route.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Are you planning to run the ecu that came with the d16y8? I've put the 99 CR-V auto harness into my 3G Civic, but did convert it to manual by removing the auto related control wires and gear indicating wiring.

It is a lot more work if you plan to run the stock OBD-2 ECU and want it code free. I've added fuel tank pressure sensor, secondary O2 sensor among others to the car to get it working right, but I also added cruise control and keyless entry. If your donor is an EX you may be also to add some of that too.

When working on the wiring I found the electrical trouble shoot manuals for donor and receiving car to be priceless.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

Turbocivichatch

• Granny
  • Pip
there only 1 o2 sensor on my d16y8 motor from a 2000 civic coupe I have the motor runing with a separate ingnition switch I need to no what my options are with getting my gauge cluster working my tack ,speedometer is a cable from the crx has anyone used a adapter? Like this one?http://www.ebay.com/...9038948?lpid=82and hooking up my transmission wiring ....I got lucky using the auto tranny it fit with no problems with the cv shafts worked perfect I have it mounted in and just need help figuring out the wiring. Does anyone have pinouts for a carbd 86 crx 1.5 base model?

Edited by Turbocivichatch, 11 November 2014 - 05:17 PM.

Turbocivichatch

• Granny
  • Pip
I'm trying to use the 0b2 harness computer intirior harness I eliminated alot of the connections that did not go to anything

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

There is only 1 o2 sensor on the engine harness, the 2nd one, after the "cat", is on the chassis harness, without it there will be codes with the OBD2 ECU.

I can't help much on the sending unit to use in that trans for the cable drive on the stock speedo, I used the VSS driven speedo from the CR-V in mine. For the tach though, there should be a wire on the engine to chassis harness connection for that signal.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)