Si Sunroof Replacement

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
my old sunroof was ripped off one day when the previous owner locked the keys in the car. ever since it has been a dented metal panel that rests atop the car to kind of keep some water out when parked. i am in the process of reviving the car and i completely removed the entire sunroof motor assembly since i dont even really see anymore how the old one attached. now i have this big beautiful hole in my roof that looks like it would be freakin awesome on a nice day... and im wondering, has anyone else tried to make a sunroof plug for the CRX? something that could just be taken out on a nice day or even just a permanent plug that matches the roofline? i can see that this may be kind of difficult to match the curved roof line of the CRX but i think its possible! then again i think anything is possible... i have a solid roof CRX but i'm not willing to sacrifice it just to fill my roof, or flip it over to heat and match a piece of plexi or lexan to its curve. i guess i could make a fiberglass one easy enough just by laying down something on the roof of the HF and laying down fiberglass and then cutting a plug out of it... but i think lexan would be really cool. maybe i could make a fiberglass plug, and then use its shape to make a mold for the lexan? anyone work that extensively with plexi or lexan? i can do the fiberglass no prob.
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

1GEN_SI86

• Homina Homina HOMINA!!!! POW right in the kisser
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Feb 14 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my old sunroof was ripped off one day when the previous owner locked the keys in the car. ever since it has been a dented metal panel that rests atop the car to kind of keep some water out when parked. i am in the process of reviving the car and i completely removed the entire sunroof motor assembly since i dont even really see anymore how the old one attached. now i have this big beautiful hole in my roof that looks like it would be freakin awesome on a nice day... and im wondering, has anyone else tried to make a sunroof plug for the CRX? something that could just be taken out on a nice day or even just a permanent plug that matches the roofline? i can see that this may be kind of difficult to match the curved roof line of the CRX but i think its possible! then again i think anything is possible... i have a solid roof CRX but i'm not willing to sacrifice it just to fill my roof, or flip it over to heat and match a piece of plexi or lexan to its curve. i guess i could make a fiberglass one easy enough just by laying down something on the roof of the HF and laying down fiberglass and then cutting a plug out of it... but i think lexan would be really cool. maybe i could make a fiberglass plug, and then use its shape to make a mold for the lexan? anyone work that extensively with plexi or lexan? i can do the fiberglass no prob.

There is a vendor here @ RPR that offers Fiberglass and Carbon fibre replacements....but ya took out all the goodies to run it...there was a site that sold moon roof plugs but i forgot...would be kinda cool to plug and put a piece-o-glass in there for moon roof-age

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i think the moon roof plugs would be for the 3rd gen right? yeah i want to make something that i can run without the factory frame. the hole is so much bigger without! makes me want to do a paintball driveby LOL. i've got a good story about one of those but im sure theres a few people here that would give me shit for shooting people without paint masks on... they totally deserved it though..

'85-SI

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 CRX SI, '98 Mercedes SL500, '99 body dropped Tacoma, '08 Husqvarna SM610
    • Image Gallery
i have a perfectly good roof panel that I will sell you as soon as my CF one arrives!!! smile.gif

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
strapped for cash and im not using the factory frame, so no thanks. anyone got any ideas on forming lexan? can it be done?

3gcivicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 honda civic si (mighty mouse), 1996 gsxr 1100 (the two wheeled road beast)
fiberglass or cf all the way. im cirrently in the process of making a fiberglass sunroof for my 3g since my original glass decided it would be a good idea to migrate (or fly the fu*k off) at 60mph on my way to work...
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.
THEY'RE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY STILL BRING A
SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH
THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS.

Brandon Shaw

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI, 1990 Civic Hatchback
I am with you on this one. I just ripped out my sunroof assembly and panel and I am contemplating on one of the cf or fg replacements. Ideally, I would like it flush with the roof and just sealed shut for a nice clean finish. However I don't know if that will be the case with this one.

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
You can form lexan or plexiglass in an oven at about 250 degrees. Takes about 20 mins for light curves, longer for compound curves.

It probably won't be 100% clarity when you're done though.

You just make a strong form, clamp it to the form with large bars instead of small clamps (Clamp it outside the area that you want to keep) and start heating it, adding more pressure every 20 mins or so... you want to take it PAST where you actually want it, but not by much. As it cools, it will shrink a bit and make the right shape.

Do not remove it from the form until it's at room temp... it will de-form. Not what you want.
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!

86rexx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 crx si (d16zc) 2001 mb ml320
    Garage View Garage
im looking for a new on right now you can have my old one. it is rust free just no very straight. i lost it going down the highway the day i painted it. it is a little tweeked but fills the whole great. im going to the junkyard saturday to look for one let me know.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
how much would shipping be to 28681? thats very generous of you

Brandon Shaw

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The sunroof is so frustrating. I am almost calling it quits on this car because the only thing keeping it off the road is the stupid hole in the roof. It is a awful design if you ask me and even if brand new parts were available I would still be surprised it if sealed correctly. What are my options?

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage
You could take a short trip up to Suffolk, VA (just over the NC/VA line) and acquire a complete sunroof assembly (frame, track, roof, and all) from kedwards if he still has it available. He brought it to lil buddy's meet last year because I thought I wanted it but it turned out I didn't need it. So I do believe he took it back home with him. Just a thought if you want to go back to a factory sunroof.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes

Brandon Shaw

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I don't think going back factory is going to work for me. I have thought about the lexan glass but really there is noting to rivet into up there. Maybe a glass shop could do it? Any other suggestions? I have two sunroof panels to work with one is rusted and one is bent I think.

otterrs

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 96 Firebird Formula
    Garage View Garage
Not likely, most glass shops won't even sell you a peice of curved glass to use on your own. I've taken my car to many various sunroof and window places and most people just laugh and tell me to buy a new car mad.gif . I'm getting ready to repaint my lil rex, and i got a junk yard near me that told me they would sell me a moonroof for 50 bucks if i could find one that fits (anyone here ever sucessfully do that before?), so i'm either gonna do that or pull out the tracks that hold the roof in (allowing it to drop down about an inch or so, and use a crap load of putty and try and seal her up to copletely before i paint her... dunno yet, but i't gonna be fun either way. If only my seal wasn't f*&%ed up to no end, i'd just buy one of the cf deal's and try that... dry.gif
85 CRX Si
96 Firebird Formula

Jaminak

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 1500 Coupe, 89 Cherokee
Kakabox made a lexan replacement.

Here's the index Search Sun