New 84-87 Civic/crx Dohc Hybrid Article..

• You cannot reply to this topic
55 replies to this topic

katman

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 92 EG civic
howdy...

In reminiscence to my DOHC 87 civic I had from 94-97, I finally slapped together an 84-87 civic/crx DOHC hybrid article for the public. I wanted to make it really thorough because not a lot of people make thorough engine swap articles....they always leave some tidbit of really important detail out.

Although, its not 100% finished, I recently went live with it and it can be accessed here:
technet.ff-squad.comI'm just wanting some opinions on it and if I left out some important info out, besides the unfinished wiring section & vacuum line routing section I plan to have.

hate or praise comments welcomed rolleyes.gif

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
YEEEESSSSSS!!! you are the MANNN!!!

this is Ceas brother, joey.. i've got the white 86 hatch, showed you some pics about a year ago.. if you search for my gallery, i've got some pics of your old car..
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
Thank you!!! I love the illustrations/pictures! You rock!

eastsiderider

• Function over form!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 91 Civic Standard Hatch (B16 powered), 02 Civic EX, 03 Civic Si R.I.P.
    • Image Gallery
cool.gif Sweet article, absolutely great job!!!!!!!!!

Edited by eastsiderider, 22 October 2004 - 09:50 PM.

SportInjectedClub

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
hmmmm... id look for shadowboys posts on the wireing, hes got a pritty extensive collection of diy info, like how to make the teg dash wireing to work with the crx cluster, vss info, that kind of stuff. but i dunno if you could use that, since yuor swapping in browntop into an si. youd probably need that if you swapped the entire harness from a teg, say if your doing a carbed to doch covnersion.

ps, great job, i love the pics and stuff haha narly bra!!!! cool.gif

Sean

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
NICE... not only informative.. very nice design as well biggrin.gif
No more CRX

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Excellent write-up, hats off to you. This is going to be a sticky in the swaps forum!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

nivek2002

Awesome!

I would suggest putting this link in the FAQ too.

One thing to correct, you cannot simply swap a browntop distributor onto the blacktop, the heads are different and the bolts dont match.

katman

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Oct 22 2004, 08:03 PM)
YEEEESSSSSS!!! you are the MANNN!!!

this is Ceas brother, joey.. i've got the white 86 hatch, showed you some pics about a year ago.. if you search for my gallery, i've got some pics of your old car..

hey wasup JO-EY (in new'yawk accent)

thanks for the props ya'll...appreciate it.

The comment about the brown & blacktop head's having different distributor mounting points...that slipped my mind I guess..thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix that and mention that is is possible to use the browntop distributor cam journal on the black top head so you can have at least 1 mounting point for the browntop VAI distributor.. smile.gif

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
evan before i bought a CRX DSS showed me your 86 civic si page and the article. that info has been helping people for a long time

katman

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Oct 25 2004, 11:58 AM)
evan before i bought a CRX  DSS  showed me your 86 civic si page  and the article. that info has been helping people for a long time

ha word...
yeah, the original info I had was just blotted down on downloadeable text file..lol.. bout time to update it laugh.gif

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
WOW! The infamous Katman! Welcome to RPR. I have been a fan of your 3G since I first saw it on the ff-squad website(I still remember the pics of people doing the "megaphone" laugh.gif ) about 5 or 6 years ago. And I still have your Hybrid How-To article saved on my old computer laugh.gif What ever happened to that car? Kick back and enjoy the site biggrin.gif

BTW, here are some pics of your car that someone had in their gallery for all to admire:

Edited by Airgazm86, 25 October 2004 - 10:19 PM.

DSMTimeline.jpg

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Damn that thing is looking good.

Makes me really want to paint my corners black.... ph34r.gif

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

87CrxType-one

• Loving the 1g's and 3g's
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87crx si, and my beautiful 76 gas station orange 1980 plymouth arrow pickup, oh yeah baby!!!!!!!
    • Image Gallery
Sweet car! Looks beautifull. You still have the car?

eadohcturbo

• thats no hair-drier nor hairspray-
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: OLD='88 ED std. <sohc-ZC/vtec..'86 Ea-T <turboD16a1/ZC ..'87Shuttle-realTIME 4WD <D15a3- CURRENTLY== G1teg 87' RS D16a8 powered,15x8 sportmax stretchin' . 95 LS teg stock all=USDM.94 EG teal D15B8/Z6 11.5:1 ripper.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you influenced me too build my EA-t , its gone now R.I.P.(but idenity connection , drives you to build another)..... KATMAN is the best he sold me a ZC hood and taillights when i had my first EA-t,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TITTE!
TORSION-BAR CREW