Carb Flooding Like New Orleans!

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

Texrex

• In Texas we measure distances by how long it takes to get there.
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87' CRX DX
    Garage View Garage
Put crxfanatic's carb on yesterday and it ran beautiful (for the for first time really) for about a minute. then it gradually died. When I went to crank it again it just wouldn't start. Gas pouring out everywhere. The secondary barrel had like a half inch of gas just sitting in it. I adjusted the float so that it is correct and it still wouldn't start. just floods out. Float chamber is pretty clean, i don't think the float is sticking or anything. Tried tapping on the float chamber from above but that didn't help. What to do? I don't even know what causes flooding. I've only had problems with not getting any gas instead of too much.

Texrex
"You are what you do when it counts"

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Did you do everything "exactly" like the pics? Maybe zakats can chime in. Mainly because he is close to you right now.(meaning in H-town)
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

DarkHand

I had a similar problem, the carb would literally overflow with the engine off. For me, the problem was that I had capped off the fuel tank vent line, causing pressure to build up. The gas had nowhere to go but through the carb!
DarkHand

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
yes i plugged the fuel return from the carb and my car smoked white, if there woulda been a spark i would have died, it wreaked of gas. when you say u adjusted the float u mean the brass screw on top right?

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

Texrex

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Aug 9 2006, 02:21 PM)
yes i plugged the fuel return from the carb and my car smoked white, if there woulda been a spark i would have died, it wreaked of gas. when you say u adjusted the float u mean the brass screw on top right?

Yeah, i used the painted screw on top that controls the float level. dry.gif
And this is literally crxfanatic's carb from the devac pics, so I had everything just like in the pics. I'm sure everything is right. The fuel return is the one on the back of the carb that goes to the charcoal canister, correct? Does it need to be connected to the charcoal canister? Cause mine is not. Easy enough fix though. I'm really wondering why gas would flood the secondary barrel too. I thought the secondaries didn't get any gas until like, 4000 rpms. Do I just need to tear the thing down and rebuild it or do you guys think it's something stupid I've overlooked?

Texrex

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
I wouldnt go tearing it apart just yet!
*the float is prolly not the problem, so it sounds
*your fuel pump has the return line connected right?
*only the needed ports from the carb and IM are capped off right? dont cap off anything not neccessairy
*these are mech secondaries right? or vac? if its vac you can unplug the vac line to the secondary diaphram deal and cap off the vac source- it could be getting too much vacuum(somehow but unlikely) and the secondary could be opening up too much with the low rpm that'll cause pooling or it has for me before.
*is your choke working properly?
thats all i can think of at the moment.
you could bring it over if it'll run well enough and we'll tinker it down..
-zak
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Texrex

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
return line connected.
I only have caps on things that need them.
Pretty sure they are vac secondaries, it had vac lines on it when I got it.
I'm not sure if the choke is working properly or not. I know that my old carb's choke operated silently and the new one kind of makes a springy sound when I snap it open and let it go. My buddy has been the one under the hood while I was in the car making sure it got flooded good and proper. =)
Could a crappy choke make it flood real bad?
I can't get the damn car to run at all. It just turns over and spews gas out the carb. The car ran crappy before the carb swap, now it doesn't. But right after I put the new one on and got it primed it ran GREAT for about a minute. Then it slowly started revving down until it died and stayed dead. Curiouser and Curiouser.

Texrex

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
before you mess with your car every time, open up the gas cap to make sure u dont have a bunch of pressure built up... every time I go out to my car there is a ton of pressure.

Texrex

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
LOL I always forget the stupidest shit. That just might be it. My gas tank is totally full right now. Could be what it is.

phatboycrxhf

• legend in the making
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 crx ,98 malibu ,90 hatch,87 hatch trailer,87 legend,95 dodge neon,90 civic sedan SE
    • Image Gallery
is this a stock carb ???? if so im having the same problem and when i took it in for the second time (diffrent shop the guy said the accelarator pump was toast or sticking and it was going to cost me $200 buck and with the new carb kit and four hours labor mad.gif should of just did it myself i guess but atleast if i doesnt work i can take it back laugh.gif

so i think you should try and just poor alittle gas into the top of the carb and start it and see if it starts because if you just keep turning the key over it will just keep flooding and flooding

My Webpage
(quote by RareCrx)HAVE A MADD TYTE DIGGITY DOGG ,BUBBLES SPRAYIN ON THE INTERCOOLER, poopin ON A 8 SECOND CHEVELLE WITH MY MINI-ME SWAP DAY..

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
sounds very possible to be a stuck accelerator pump.
make sure the pressure is out of the tank every time before u mess with it and then floor it once or twice ...might unstick the acc pump... never know. but in doing so ur prolly adding more gas to an already lil flooded im
-zak

btw i think it gets worse whith the less gas in the tank...not sure

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
when you swaped the carb did you also swap the black spacer. if you did that might be a problem too. the gaskedt under it is paper thin and could be damaged that or an the o ring that is on top of it that the carb sits on might be missing or daamaged.

Texrex

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
The black spacer under the carb is brand new ($30.00!!! WooHoo!) There aren't any gaskets under the spacer that I'm aware of (USDM carb).

I changed the accel pump on my old carb with the carb still on the IM so I'm pretty sure I could just swap them out, no big deal. I was thinking that might be an issue. I haven't had a chance to go back and jack with the car since starting this thread, so it'll probably be monday before I can get to it. When I do, I'm going to change the accel pump with the new one, hook up the fuel line to the coal can from the back of the carb, pop the gas cap off to relieve back pressure on the lines and start the damned car by pouring gas down the throat of the carb. =) I think everyone's suggestions are worth checking into and if all that doesn't gitterdun I'm going to tear the s.o.b. down and rebuild it. I'm still open to any other suggestions though, so keep them coming.

Zak- wish you could come up to the NW side and help me straighten things out. I'll buy the beer!=)

Texrex

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I am sure Zak can help get it all sorted. But unfortunatley the strongest thing he can legally consume is Jolt Cola. tongue.gif
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
hahaha... well with my brother's ID I can do what I damned well please laugh.gif Im not sure how much help I'll be because I cant get my own POS to run right now a days!! then again i think thats just because my carb is sooo tired and I have spent a LOT of time working on those damned carbs! and I do mean a lot of time! (recently I havnt gotten the damn thing back working how I want it to becuase I refuse to buy a battery at this time tongue.gif) lets just say Im on my third one. If I could get my hands on a rebuild kit without breaking my tiny wallet, I'd have it done faster than R kelly to respond to an invitation to the kids choice awards.
-zak