• You cannot reply to this topic
64 replies to this topic

86rustbox

• PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 civic dx, 98 crv
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 20 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sort of, but they result in a 8.7:1 CR, lower than the stock DX
I thought you meant using the Si pistons and Si head- yes, I believe you should end up with something along the lines of 9.7:1 which is better, but still very far from ideal... actually, I think it is just as much of a waste of time now that I think of it.

sit on it, the end result will be well worth it.
check ebay for the shocks, I bought a set of new monroe's for ~$20 by a "make offer" gig since nobody seemed to want them
CV's, there ought to be more than a few floating around for a couple cheeseburgers+shipping
I've given away a bunch since they're practically worthless

http://www.redpepper...e...c=44972&hl=

ahh...the waiting game.
i've checked ebay, but i'm wanting some kyb's cause that's what i have on the front and ebay/parts store are about the same price; ~$35 a piece. man, i didn't know CV's we're "worthless" on here! here i was about to go to the parts store and spend $70 per axle. i guess anybody upgrading to teg hubs or doing a swap would have no use for em.

about how much should i look at spending to get my block bored over? just don't want to get ripped off...haven't done anything like this before.
beer is good for you.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (86rustbox @ Aug 21 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahh...the waiting game.
i've checked ebay, but i'm wanting some kyb's cause that's what i have on the front and ebay/parts store are about the same price; ~$35 a piece. man, i didn't know CV's we're "worthless" on here! here i was about to go to the parts store and spend $70 per axle. i guess anybody upgrading to teg hubs or doing a swap would have no use for em.

about how much should i look at spending to get my block bored over? just don't want to get ripped off...haven't done anything like this before.

most of the aftermarket shocks available now are pretty much the same but I suppose gr2's might be slightly better.
I don't recall not being able to find new lifetime reman's for more than 55/each.
Have you been introduced with my friend rockauto.com?
Bore, hone, pistons pressing ought to set you back around $90-100 but you should definitely get your rotating assembly balanced... I recently made a thread on this to pick the brains of much smarter people: http://www.redpepper...showtopic=44927 unless you reuse your original pistons and rods, you should have your engine balanced.

It will be a little while, but as soon as I start going through my mountain o parts and moving everything out, I'll let you know if I still have a spare set. If I do, they're yours for shipping.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 21 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
most of the aftermarket shocks available now are pretty much the same but I suppose gr2's might be slightly better.
I don't recall not being able to find new lifetime reman's for more than 55/each.
Have you been introduced with my friend rockauto.com?
Bore, hone, pistons pressing ought to set you back around $90-100 but you should definitely get your rotating assembly balanced... I recently made a thread on this to pick the brains of much smarter people: http://www.redpepper...showtopic=44927 unless you reuse your original pistons and rods, you should have your engine balanced.

It will be a little while, but as soon as I start going through my mountain o parts and moving everything out, I'll let you know if I still have a spare set. If I do, they're yours for shipping.

i'm not familiar with rockauto, but i bookmarked it and will check it out later.
i'll check out your thread too...i don't know that much bout engine balancing. i think the machine shop down the street says "engine balancing" in the window, and that'll probably be where i get it done.

thanks
beer is good for you.

86rustbox

• PipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Aug 20 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sort of, but they result in a 8.7:1 CR, lower than the stock DX
I thought you meant using the Si pistons and Si head- yes, I believe you should end up with something along the lines of 9.7:1 which is better, but still very far from ideal... actually, I think it is just as much of a waste of time now that I think of it.

got some bad news; the autox class i would like to be in (CSP) doesn't allow for high comp (specifically domed) pistons. i could get away with SI's, and possibly pg6's, but definitely not p29's. so i'll have to rethink this all a bit.

on a brighter note the class does allow for throttle body and manifold changes. i found a member on here i was talking to long ago about a 4 carb setup from a '98 suzuki katana, and he still has them. he only wants $65 for them, so i think i'll try that route to get the most power i can without overclassing.

Edited by 86rustbox, 29 August 2009 - 12:26 AM.

beer is good for you.

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (86rustbox @ Aug 29 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
got some bad news; the autox class i would like to be in (CSP) doesn't allow for high comp (specifically domed) pistons. i could get away with SI's, and possibly pg6's, but definitely not p29's. so i'll have to rethink this all a bit.

on a brighter note the class does allow for throttle body and manifold changes. i found a member on here i was talking to long ago about a 4 carb setup from a '98 suzuki katana, and he still has them. he only wants $65 for them, so i think i'll try that route to get the most power i can without overclassing.

that isn't such terrible news, look into using the PG6's- depending on your definition of dome, they don't have one just a very slightly raised center section. If they're do-able then you will have the luxury of running whatever kind of cams you want without any trouble.

I've had two successful "ITC" (what we called it a few years ago, not relating to racing classes) bike carb setups using CBR 900 carbs. It is a big pain in the ass if you try to use shortcuts- have a proper manifold fabricated or modified from stock, use only modern street bike carbs that accept jetting changes, have the carbs synchronized properly, and don't expect them to run well in the cold ESPECIALLY with e85. I don't know about katana carbs but I'm not sold on their out of the box performance and I don't know how well they'd take to modification if at all since they aren't built for a performance bike. IIRC the approximate ideal carburetor bore is ~30mm while my cbr carbs were 38mm and a huge pain in the ass to make my ghetto rigging take (I was much less experienced then) rolleyes.gif

Sorry I've been on a sort of hiatus with school starting, keeping a decent work load to pay the bills, moving into a new place, building my engine, and keeping up appearances with all the new freshman girls!! biggrin.gif gotta get em while they're skinny! ph34r.gif
He who dies with the most toys, wins.