You Want To Put A 88+ Dseries Into A 1g/3g

• You cannot reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
The HASport D series kit is out, for the record... this thread is somewhat obsolete.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Z3RO

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1999 Civic ex
im curious whats needed for all the wireing. i realise a good wireing harness is needed but do you need to change the cluster out? do you have to run a custom ECU? i assume youd have to convert to OBDI if the motor is OBD2.

i need as much information as i can get for this. i dont know if i want to just rebuild my carbed EW with some Si internals or just swap a D series into it.

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
research blacktop wiring or obd0 conversion, there should be something in the wiki about it.- this is basically converting the oem Si vacuum advance distributor to the 88-89 integra style (88-91 civic too) obd0, electronic advance distributor wiring... this is a simple conversion, from there you can convert to obd1 if you want but it isn't necessary. You WOULD have to convert to Si wiring since you're starting with a carb'd car.

see my thread in the swaps section, I (with help) outlined how you can run a 'modern' D series engine with the, almost completely, stock harness by using a certain distributor (I have one and probably access to more) and a modified stock carb IM, or better, a stock 88+ dual keihin manifold/carbs setup.

Fuegobird

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 honda crx si
QUOTE (zakats @ Jan 9 2011, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
research blacktop wiring or obd0 conversion, there should be something in the wiki about it.- this is basically converting the oem Si vacuum advance distributor to the 88-89 integra style (88-91 civic too) obd0, electronic advance distributor wiring... this is a simple conversion, from there you can convert to obd1 if you want but it isn't necessary. You WOULD have to convert to Si wiring since you're starting with a carb'd car.

see my thread in the swaps section, I (with help) outlined how you can run a 'modern' D series engine with the, almost completely, stock harness by using a certain distributor (I have one and probably access to more) and a modified stock carb IM, or better, a stock 88+ dual keihin manifold/carbs setup.

What is it that I need so I can put a d18a1 engine in my 87 crx si?? I hope I don't have to weld any motor monuts!

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
there is no D18a1 but there is a B18a1... see HASport for mounts for the B, and if you meant D15a1, your car already has a better engine and you wouldn't want to go back to a D15a1 from your a3 or a4

Fuegobird

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 honda crx si
QUOTE (zakats @ Jan 11 2011, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is no D18a1 but there is a B18a1... see HASport for mounts for the B, and if you meant D15a1, your car already has a better engine and you wouldn't want to go back to a D15a1 from your a3 or a4

darn i meant to put b18a1 lol i have d15a3 and its worthless when it comes to performance parts

Abcence

• Granny
  • Pip
what will be different if going from a d15a2 to a d15b three stage vtec in an 87 crx dx?

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester
So, to do this swap is it for sure that you can't put a 96+ D16 to a 86-89 teg transmission as stated earlier in this thread? What changed on the newer block?

zakats

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (soycory @ Nov 14 2011, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, to do this swap is it for sure that you can't put a 96+ D16 to a 86-89 teg transmission as stated earlier in this thread? What changed on the newer block?

If I remember correctly; you can, but the holes for the intermediate shaft won't be there already so you would have to undertake the delicate operation of drilling and tapping into your engine block on your own.

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester
QUOTE (zakats @ Nov 14 2011, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I remember correctly; you can, but the holes for the intermediate shaft won't be there already so you would have to undertake the delicate operation of drilling and tapping into your engine block on your own.

Alright, that is what I needed to know. Thanks!

atatwalker

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 civic hatch dx w/dohc swap, 88 civic RT wagon, 89 acura integra ls, 90 civic si pearl white, 93 cb7 w/ slotted drilled brakes black lights and a soon to be installed 98 h22a4
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (rpr @ Jul 31 2006, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. I used a 95 Civic tranny, so it may be that I got lucky. I use 87 Civic axles, with 95 Civic inner CV's, and it just worked....

2. Not sure if you are referring to my pics (I fixed the original post), the whole album is here

Tom

I have been out of the loop i guess??

Why are you doing all this mod and fab for a SOHC D ?? the d16a1 is A LOT less work.
dohc swaped

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (atatwalker @ Jan 24 2012, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been out of the loop i guess??

Why are you doing all this mod and fab for a SOHC D ?? the d16a1 is A LOT less work.

Yup, it does take some fab work but the single slam has a lot more potential than that D16a1 and a lot more aftermarket. I tried making enough power with the D16a1 in my H2 CRX thinking that I'd have the power I'd need running at 2000 pounds, there wasn't and tuning wasn't easy. I switched over to a single cam that I mated up to a CG transmission and have had much greater success. Still not exactly where I need to be but I have yet to max out the allowable mods.

For anyone wanting to use a CG transmission with a 88+ single cam here is a good resource.
CG to a D
My write up from my swap

I have since added a really agressive Gude cam, converted to OBDI. Chris at Xenocron Tuning in NY did a really nice tune.

1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

sstig13

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si, 89 Integra, 99 Accord LX
I got a question about a crx engine I pulled from a 87 crx, if anyone knows the answer. I got the car for parts for like $100 the engine ran but it had a bad head gasket and a stripped spark plug hole. But the thing that got my curiousity was the pistons didn't look like the ones in my other 87 si. They looked more like the pistons from a 88-91 si crx engine I will have to go look again to see if they have the PM 6 on top but has anyone ever put 88-91 pistons in 86-87 si engine before (will they even fit) if so any benifits in performance?

rasyblub

don't b and d series transmissions share the same tranny mounts? if they do could you not mix the hasport d series motor mounts with their b series cable tranny mounts? but i guess that means i'd have to buy both sets :( i was just looking for a easier solution and i ended up on a d series page and a few guys said that d and b series cable transmissions could share mounts and d and b hydraulic could

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
You can use the 86-89 integra tranny (which is a cable tranny) and tranny mounts with the new D series stuff, you'll have to cut and weld the EW motor mount though, check out rextec's writeup http://www.redpepper...showtopic=20487