7 replies to this topic

1GEN_SI86

• Homina Homina HOMINA!!!! POW right in the kisser
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
Ok guys here is the down low.

Have been overheating (getting close to anyway) and so I new something was up with my CRX. I was surprised to open my engine bay and see my upper radiator hose 2-3x the diameter that it normally is. then looked down below my lower radiator hose to witness coolant leaking from between the clamps and hose as well as the drain plug.

So I went down to kragen, got 2 hunks of hose, 2 gallons of antifreeze, and a thermostat. Spent the day swapping, filling and burping the system and it ran SOOOOOoooooooo!!! my car ran much cooler, the therm needle nestled nicely at about the 1k RPM line! I was ecstatic!!!

Drove it around for 2-3 hours since I had some errands to run, and everything was running really well. Parked it and came back 3-4 hours later, click the key over to run, fuel pump primes, and I try to turn it over. nothing!!!! and the PGMFI light stays on the dash. Try again and again and again. everytime the fuel pump primes and it just wont turn over until finally it starts up, idles, I pop into first gear and pull away from my house and it dies, the PGMFI light is on!

So i am stumped. The fuel filter is about a year or yar and a half old. I had a leak at the end of my fuel rail 6 months ago but got the o-ring for it. and everything has been good fuel system wise.

any ideas? To me it seems like a clog, or something inside the system since it ran for a bit before choking.

Is there anyway that i can cheaply diagnose and fix whats going on?

just one headache after another! sheesh! thanks for reading

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Have you checked for codes?

Under the passenger seat the ECU will light up a series of LEDs to give you the code. Check chapter 6 of the service manual to see what code you have.

If it stays on all the time even when running and you have no LEDs, you may have a bad PCM (not likely)

Get the code and we can see what needs to be looked at.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

1GEN_SI86

• PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
thanks. sometimes I amaze myself LOL. Ill yank the passenger seat tomorrow and see whats up. thanks again!

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
No need to pull the seat. Just look underneath the pass seat from the front. You'll see a red led or up to 4 of them giving you a code when the PGM light is on the dash. The carpet is cleared away just enough for you to see.
Keepin' it OEM

Jimmler

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si
There is a MAJOR grounding connection for the fuel injection system at the thermostat housing, at least on my '85 Si. Since you mentioned you changed the thermostat, it's very possible that the ground may not have been put back on or is making a poor connection. It's really crowded down there and hard to see. I had a similar problem when I changed my thermostat. The fuel pump wouldn't even come on. Take a look.
-Jim

1GEN_SI86

• PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
thanks for the input guys but what worries me, is that i drove it for like 2-3 hours after the thermo, stuff was done and it ran great. then it sat for a few hours and idled but didnt want to move when i put it in gear it choked and died.....

just weird. ill post up the codes, may take me a while, pinched a nerve in my back so climbing into my tiny car may be a bit painful lol

1GEN_SI86

• PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Was that fuel pump ground. I guess at one point yesterday loosened it a bit and forgot to tighten it up....car runs like a million bucks now! thank\s for the help everyone and especially jimmler, sounds like you were able to help me out with a bit of personal experience?

thanks guys! was literally pulling my hair out!

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
I am going to go out on a limb here... I had this problem recently...

Check the spade connector on the starter... it is known to come loose and since you were finagling in that area, you might have knocked it loose.
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.