Need Help With Oil Leak Onto Tranny.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

bebo408

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85SI
Hey well I finally decided to tackle my slipping clutch and i already knew based on the grimey of a pig my EW3 was, i knew oil contaminated my clutch,

Now im not to sure where this leak is coming im just hoping its not a Headgasket or cracked block. (hope not, never abused engine, just a DD).

Well i called it day trying to pin point the leak but tomorrow is another day, i hope to have the tranny out and clutch in!

til then maybe someone can give me some ideas to search for this myserious leakage!
BEFORE tracking trail:

pix.:

bit more: http://s181.photobuc...gatokes/tranny/

any help id greatly appreciate! need DD back unsure.gif

Edited by bebo408, 16 June 2010 - 05:39 PM.

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
I say valve cover gasket or dizzy O ring.

Run your hand under the dizzy and see if there is a drop under there.

The very first pic shows oil in the unused outer tapped hole on the front corner of the engine- so that points to the valve cover gasket. They get rock hard and don't seal well over the years.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (bebo408 @ Jun 16 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey well I finally decided to tackle my slipping clutch and i already knew based on the grimey of a pig my EW3 was, i knew oil contaminated my clutch,

I also vote for valve cover gasket and the distributor O-ring as likely candidates for oil seepage.... But a slipping clutch in not the result of some oily residue.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Bubba @ Jun 16 2010, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say valve cover gasket or dizzy O ring.

Run your hand under the dizzy and see if there is a drop under there.

The very first pic shows oil in the unused outer tapped hole on the front corner of the engine- so that points to the valve cover gasket. They get rock hard and don't seal well over the years.

+1

And fix your broken exhaust stud, too! Left hand drill bits work wonders in extracting the broken piece.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
Do not rule out rear main seal...
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
Where can we get distributor o rings? I've searched the forum to no avail. (sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but may be helpful in this case)

BTW I can see oil coming from the valve cover gasket. I just picked one up along with axle seals, pan gasket, and header gaskets. Mine is almost the same with a broken exhaust stud too.

Edited by hondaguy72, 22 June 2010 - 07:52 PM.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ Jun 19 2010, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not rule out rear main seal...

To clarify, the rear main won't be the cause of the oil pictured on the block... but it could easily be the cause of a slipping clutch.

The external leaks are not a likely cause of your slipping clutch.

There is only one sure way to know why the clutch is slipping... pull the trans to examine it. There are really only 5 "likely" causes: Clutch cable out of adjustment, worn out/glazed clutch/flywheel, weak pressure plate, leaking trans seal, leaking rear main. Only the cable adjustment can be confirmed 100% without pulling the trans.

Replace the distributor o rings (2 on Carbed, maybe only 1 on SI) and valve cover gasket. Those are really the only likely things to leak up there, and these parts are cheap. (While valve cover is off, I'd adjust valve lash) Also, change the O-rings even if dizzy isn't leaking; they are old and getting ready to leak. tongue.gif

Since you say you're pulling the trans, take off the flywheel and examine the rear main seal; make sure it isn't leaking. Check the trans side seal too. If either one of these is still leaking when you install the new clutch, chances are it will be slipping again within days. (ask me how I know >_<) I'd recommend having the flywheel machined and balanced, but many have gone without and had no problems.

QUOTE (hondaguy72 @ Jun 22 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where can we get distributor o rings? I've searched the forum to no avail. (sorry for the somewhat off topic post, but may be helpful in this case)

Any automotive parts store will be able to match them up. You could also buy one of those assorted O-ring packs, but you'll have a lot of spare O-rings...

bebo408

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well turns out clutch was getting to the rivets and nothing was soaked.
i already slapped in the pp n disk, as well as throw out b.

im paranoid about the bearing i want to ask u guys some qs

ok the lever n fork only bolt on one way?
the release arm sits normal /== and bearing is sitting. when i push lever up to be 180degrees ---- the bearing rides freely on shaft? i know i shoulda checked but forgot

reason i ask is when i pull up arm i feel it run on shaft n stop but am i suppose to feel the pushing of the pp springs disengaging the clutch? i just feel it run then stop against what shuld b fingrrs

(ashamed, my 1st clutch job)

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You won't be able to pull the lever arm hard enough to release the clutch unless you are he-man.

Seriously, even with a well placed prybar it is impossible.

Throw the clutch cable on and check for movement with the clutch pedal.

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
mark's quite right, the pressure plate is much stronger than you are!

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

bebo408

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
so the arm moves when i push pedal and i feel it push pp.
but... as i wAs driving the rpm dropped and the car would not engage. i feel the gears lock in thru shifter but as i let clutch out nothing happens. i can also engage gears w.o pedal but no go.
i also dripped some tranny fluid, if that helps anything.
i see release arm move n gears sliding but dont engage, could b t o bearing?
dam i feel noobish! i felt my new clutch run beautifully it was short lived bliss! thanks to all u for ur time n help !!

Edited by bebo408, 30 June 2010 - 06:45 PM.

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
Replace that clutch kit... THE ENTIRE KIT... Throw out bearing, friction disc, and pressure plate.
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.