Who Makes Competition Clutches For 1g Crx's?

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 1.5 Fi
I have only seen ACT & F1 clutches on ebay, along with the occasional Exedy Clutch kit.

Are there any companies that make aftermarket clutches for our rides?

I don't know if there was a thread on this or not, but if there was, I can't find it.
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ May 18 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have only seen ACT & F1 clutches on ebay, along with the occasional Exedy Clutch kit.

I don't know if there was a thread on this or not, but if there was, I can't find it.

How much power are you putting out? My ACT clutch has been terrific for 10 years... but I am only making 100whp.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Forcefed Si

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: turbo'ed 87 Civic Si Hatchback and a heavily modified jeep wrangler
I had a Centerforce Dual friction on my d15, so I know they make them for our cars even though I never got it to work well.

Vicious

i've heard jay comment on zoom clutches very well

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
www.clutchnet.com

Great products and great customer serice. End of clutch search.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Vicious @ May 19 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i've heard jay comment on zoom clutches very well

huh.gif This Jay? I have mentioned Spec clutches a couple of time but I won't again...at least not to be recommending them. Don't get me wrong, they worked great but it's the part that wears out that baffles me.

I have two 4-puck unsprung clutch discs from them that have LOTS of life left in the friction material. But the hub is shot. All the splines have worn down to sharp little points in them. In BOTH of the clutch discs, which don't have any street use and not a whole lot of races on either of them. Clearly whatever hardening steps or process they use for their hubs is not sufficient.

I replaced it with a ACT disc. Just got it yesterday so I can’t say anything good or bad about it yet. I am also installing a pilot bearing in the flywheel just in case.

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Vicious

hmmmm i thought it was you who mentioned them but i guess not, age is getting to me i guess. i know one of the racers on here recommended them.........maybe zeph but i know it was someone who used them all the time.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Action Clutch, Exedy, ACT, Spec, Zoom, Southbend, Clutchmasters, Clutchnet, Centerforce
Posted Image

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I'm only running stock HP ratings, but I want something that grabs a bit harder, thats all.
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I really like my Action 1KS.

Id probably get the Exedy stock replacment from Clutchcityonline.com
http://www.clutchcit...ts/08-005.shtml
Posted Image

Zephyr

• On the Podium
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
I've run Exedy clutches in my racecars since I had to replace the first one in my old car. I use the OE replacement and have never had any issues, my car was putting down 105whp with the first motor and I know the second motor was doing more and I never had any issues with lack of grip. Same can be said for my clutch I'm running with a 150whp D16a1. There is no reason to go more than stock replacement unless you feel like working out your left leg.
1985 CRX Si H2 Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with a WRX swap

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ive got a old Exedy OE replacment in my B20Z 88 Sedan, i beat it hard and its never slipped on me.
Posted Image

JEM MotorSports

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: me up the wall

QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ May 18 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ May 19 2010, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much power are you putting out? My ACT clutch has been terrific for 10 years... but I am only making 100whp.
Scott

QUOTE (Gabe87CRX @ May 19 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm only running stock HP ratings, but I want something that grabs a bit harder, thats all.

(LOL!) stock set up, and he's worried about Performance clutches.
It generaly helps to post what your working with 1st...

Scott above nailed it on the head.
If money is no object, ACT all the way...
I am finally convinced on ACT quality, after a long personal study. Longivity wins in my book.
Our ACT set ups have stood the test of time and have managed to out last all other clutches
we've compared them to. However, that longivity comes at a cost though.... and thats why they are alot more
expensive $$$ than most.... wink.gif

I'm gonna give Exedy two thumbs down FOR STOCK 1ST GEN CRXs & 3RD GEN CIVIS.
I went through two complete Exedy kits in a short matter of time in a bone stock 3rd gen. Perhaps we were to aggressive.
(Q: How were we using EXEDY you might ask? A: Daily driving and occasional spirited driving. Azusa Canyon/GMR)
However, not to talk smack about Exedy, in their defense, they have managed to do very well with other vehicles.
I honestly think there is a miscalculation somewhere in Exedy's records about our cars... hmmmm? huh.gif

(Stage 1 & 2) F1 Racing clutches are good for the stock set up / daily driven civic and crx.
Wouldn't necessarily use these stage 1 or 2 on the track due to an inconsistency pressure plate issue (under strenuous long term conditions) which we have addressed directly to F1. (Again, personal study...)
Every now and then, the clutch would not engage properly for a split moment (mainly off the line in the intial go, 1st gear)and that can be dicey under extreme situations.
On the plus side, these F1 kits are generally about 1/3rd the cost of a complete ACT set up.
So if cost is a factor, this is your best bet.

I have been presently testing F1's stage 3 clutch set up with 6 puck sprung disc for the past 2 years in
a 200hp-ish B16.
No problems to report. Clutch grabs fine. very aggressive. NOT recommended for the average daily driver becasue
you'd end up with one hell of a super leg work out after about a week even with it being a sprung disc. LOL!!!

FYI, F1 Racing Clutches is about 15minutes from our shop.
You may notice that we are the 7th listed authorized dealer on their website ( http://www.f1racingtech.com/dist.html ).
We have been working closely with our reps from F1 since they have opened.
We are some-what test subjects for them in regards to HONDA only applications.
Our shop sells more of their products than anyone else locally. biggrin.gif

Here's some insight for you, ever wounder what factors determine clutch disc pricing?
Aside from the design and application, BRONZE.
Various amounts of Bronze effect the over all price of the disc and will ultimately determine weather it
is considered a stage 1,2,3,etc...
Larger amounts of bronze manages to keep our clutches cooler.
Great for endurance, road racing, time attacks, etc...

(oh yeah, and don't ever call ACT's tech support and refer to thier kits as a "Stage" 1,2,3,etc.... LOL!!
These guys get very deffensive about that and prefer that people refer to their products by part numbers... LOL!)

feel free to email us with any other clutch related questions...

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Do you even have a website for your "store" anymore?

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Gabe87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
You don't need to belittle me about what info I want?

So I'll probably go with F1 after reading this, when this OEM clutch bites the dust.
87 CRX Si FI.
5 Speed.