Need Some Advice!? Pleeeeeease?

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

hamada

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 HF CRX
Which engines are better in our first gens huh.gif ? I'm trying to decide on which engine to go for: the 88-89 D16A1 integra engine with approx. 118hp na (not sure about turbo) or the B series VTEC engines (b16A) from the 90-current Civic Si or the 94-97 Del Sol with approx. 160hp stock.

It'll be a daily driver taken to the track for road racing and autoXing mainly, but I'd like to go draging for some extra fun. Is there any other good choices for what I'm wanting to do?

Any advice and/or educated opinions are welcome. Thanks you guys. biggrin.gif
86 HF CRX
Please god help me...

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
The primary question you are going to need to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend.

The D16A1 motors can be had for pennies compared to a B-series motor. In addition, the D16A1 bolts right in where a B-series motor needs either the $700 mount kit from HASport, or you talent in fabrication. The mount kit is not the only "custom" part of the B-series swap you'll need. Some guys in here have done the B-series swap, maybe they'll chime in.

To illustrate my point on the cost of a D16A1, look what I found:
http://crx.honda-per...opic.php?t=1295

No doubt the B-series motors have much more power potential than any D-series, but when the swap cost exceeds the overall value of the vehicle...

One more thing, if you are considering the swap in that '86 HF be prepared for a lot of extra wiring and fuel system work. The 85-87 Si's are the only cars worth swapping motors into because they are set up for fuel injection in the first place. It's by no means impossible for the HF , but you'll have your car tied up for quite a while longer than an Si owner.

Perhaps consider a carbed swap....? Is an ITB carb setup legal in your area (smog)?

Edited by -TJ, 22 July 2003 - 10:04 AM.

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
itb carbs arent legal for road use at all... some states dont do emmisions though...

what trim level do you have a dx or hf requirs si fuel linesand tank to convert to fi i prefere the zc swap for swaps i have done 2 now and they are nice but knowing what i know now i would rebuild my ew4 engine with custom high comp pistons beefier rods. a good cam shaft and a turbo or dual side draft set up... yes i would risk a high comp turbo... i would actually use dommed teg pistons and if i could find a 2mm head gasket and a small turbo maybe a greddy tdo4 turbo and boost to 10 psi

hamada

• Granny
  • Pip
I have no problem with switching out my fuel system (lines,tank,pump) and wiring harness, ecu, and doing the custom wiring to switch to EFI, since I like the fact that the 86 HF has the lighter body (It's a trade off in my opinion). FI is a better choice for me since we've got strict emissions here.

Since the B series swap seems so expensive (but really cool), does anyone know what hp you can get out of a built (intake,exhaust,header,pistons,flywheel,etc.) 88-89 D16A1 w/ turbo on a conservative boost (don't wanna kill my engine) blink.gif ?

I was thinking of going with the equivalent JDM ZC engine with some 130hp, but JDM seems to be more dificult. BUT maybe I'm wrong.

If you guys have any more advice and/or info on these choices or more on the B series please help me out... and thanks bunches for your guys help so far. biggrin.gif
86 HF CRX
Please god help me...

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The only difference swap wise between the 88-89 USDM D16A1 and the JDM black/brown top ZC is the power, and the fact that the fuel rail inlet is on the wrong side of the engine. Just run a longer hose over to the other side of the engine, or get a USDM fuel rail.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

hamada

• Granny
  • Pip
Can anyone else spare some time to help me out!? It's a really basic question and all I'm looking for is some advice?

Does anyone maybe have a link to a site or message that has some answers to these questions? ...

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me so far and I'm really greatful for your guys patience with another newbie asking newbie questions. I've tryed to sound as educated as possible so that you guys would take me seriously, but out of all the people that visit this forum only 3 GUYS are able to try and help me!!!!? huh.gif I know that if I personally had the knowledge some of the guys on this forum did I would do my best to help every newbie out, cause I would remember the help I had needed when I was first starting out. But i guess my expectations are too high.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Well, I guess the reason that no one here knows the answers!! Cause I'm stumped...

Sorry, I'm just blowing of some steam, i really am a nice guy when ya get to know me.
86 HF CRX
Please god help me...

CRXdan

D16 turbo
turbo crx
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

b16_destroyer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si with entire 95 Integra wiring & drivetrain
I had the same dilemma. I first off went to the bone yard and stripped an 88 Integra of everything. It had over 200,000 miles but I didn't car because I sent it out and had Golden Eagle Sleeves installed, Wiseco Pistons, and Eagle Rods. I wanted to prove a point that the "little engine that could" actually could run.

That was a 3 year project. Technology has stepped up and factory cars are running 12's. The D16A1 will run high 15's all day and low 14's w/turbo. I didn't get to install my D16A1 project because I decided to go B series.

I gutted everything out of my 87 CRX and rewired the entire car OBD1 with 95 Integra wire harness and B18B with 8lb flywheel and GSR tranny. B series have more torque than you can shake a stick at. My car all motor (stock) can beat B16's and MUSTANGS any day. It is probably a low 14 second car for now and maybe 13's with slicks.

Remember, D series will be quick but you will get no respect on the streets and still get whipped at the dragstrip. B series it and forget about it. Yeah, you will break the bank but it is all worth it the first time you can spin the tires in all three gears without popping the clutch.

I am installing my turbo kit right now because even just the Bseries alone is not enough to beat the cars down here. I am tired of V8's and DSM's telling me I am not worthy to race them. Once I am finished tuning, they will know my name and fear it; "I am B16 Destroyer!!!" ph34r.gif
I pick on drivers, taunt them to race, and then beat them. MUUUUHAAAAHAA!

CRXdan

muahahahah
your evil tongue.gif
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

CRXer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx Si
if it was me and i was going to mainly use it for a road racing car and auto-x like i do with mine i am keeping the stock engine untill i can fully harness all the 90horses it has. i am just a beginner and it has more power than i need right now.