Performance Head Rebuild Questions

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
My old girl is starting to smoke badly. It isn't down on power, but cold starts are a blue cloud. High rpm deceleration leads to a huge blue puff as well. It started to happen pretty suddenly last fall.

I'm looking for advice on what parts to replace, ie valve guides and/or seals. I'm also going to upgrade the springs due to going turbo. I've found all the s2000 spring parts through majestic honda at a good price. I do need all twelve springs, keepers and retainers?

Any other head rebuild advice would be great. I don't plan on heavily porting the head, but I may do a quick clean up on the intake ports and enlarge the exhaust ports a small amount to clean up any casting flash. The stock cam should be as good as any for my low hp goals of 140-150 @ 8-10psi on a turbo rated to flow a measly 235cfm.

If anyone has a complete rebuilt injected head fs I might just go that route as well.

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk
are you planing to do the lower end? most oil/ smoke problems are ring problems on 4 cyl Honda's & most 4 cyl engines for that fact. Most re-ring jobs are a patch. I have pulled heads given a light hone with block in car and cleaned out ring groves on pistons. "clean out oil ring grove very good and the small holes in oil ring grove". wash block with hot soapy water after honing. get your head work done. re-ring it and put it back together. Back in the day Honda had a up-dated piston kit for the oil problem that some of these Si's had. If you are going turbo you must do the lower end. how much boost will you want run? this will be the 10,000 $ question.... Build it once do it right. good luck Mark... PS I built a 99 civic Si for a customer that wanted to run 20lbs of boost he spent over $7 grand in parts and machine work! DO YOUR HOME WORK for a happy rebuild job:-)

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk
Sorry even @ 8-10 psi you will need a complete rebuild. I have seen so many people do take short cuts and end up with a crop duster. so much time and work only to do it again...