18 replies to this topic

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What do you guys think about the new Ford Fiesta?
I want something that I can drive 80 miles a day, and be comfortable and fun while saving as much gas as I can. I am leaning towards the Fiesta.

Anyway I am not here to defend this car and would like to hear your thoughts.

The crx is going to get a new makeover and go to XP I think smile.gif

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
Hard to say anything about brand new cars. It's a 4 door compact, come back when the warranty expires and tell us how it's holding up.

I will say, strongly compare the Hyundai Accent. For the price of a base Fiesta you get a few extras with the Accent, and I think it actually slightly lighter on fuel.

Very similar designs in the two cars. If you get a chance, test drive both. See what feels better.

Either one should east beyond their warranty periods pretty easily considering you treat them right.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
Hyundai Veloster???

Honda Fit??

CRZ??

Just a few suggestions

Having had a Ford Focus for 8 years and it NOT being the greatest car over that period......put it this way, I will likely NEVER buy a Ford again.......

I kinda like the Fiesta but at the same time I have that "It's a Ford" thing going on in the back of my head. I'm sure its a reasonable car but......meh.....It's a Ford.

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Veloster ftw.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
year after year I look at the new domestic/korean/other (brand cars from my usual preference) cars thinking 'hey this looks promising' and every year I'm reminded why my brand preferences were developed and continue to solidify.
Buy what you like, just make sure that you know what you're getting into- the Hyundai is a throw-away car. People keep hondas for 20-30 years where as Korean cars are largely removed from duty in 10-12.

Ford cars are crap but initial value isn't bad, same as korean cars I mentioned above.
New nissan cars look sharp but were designed by gypsies. That said, the Leaf could handle your commute and it would save you some money. I've heard good things about the Chevy Volt other than the gas engine being a POS- just hearsay.

I like the recent trends of marketing more small cars to americans, it's what we need- but beware of what you're buying- a cheapo car.

I really disdain the direction that Honda has gone with the Civic line but there is and always will be a good honda to have.
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
with my money? i'd buy a base model Kia Rio 5 with the 6 speed manual.. to me looks like a really nice and really well built car. and for 13500, much cheaper than the fiesta..

it is your money, but that's what i'd buy.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage
Been looking at NEW cars myself, but I came to the conclusion that I could just buy something used with low miles that's far more fun and efficient for a lower price with an extended warranty.

I can't think of any new car in that price range that I would want to buy that meets your criteria sadly :C the ford LOOKS great, but I don't think they drive quite as fun as they look, quality is left to wonder, based on what I have seen and not felt though.
Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
The veloster looks like the coolest car in the segment. Just saw one driving a few minutes ago. Pretty sharp.

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
Stay away from the 6 speed manual. They have the same grinding issues as the Mustangs.

Ford Technician here...
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129

mallardtape

Recently Ford has been pulling things from their Euro roots. I like that much better than the American crap of 10-15 years ago. I would still look at the Veloster 1st.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (zakats @ Feb 23 2012, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
year after year I look at the new domestic/korean/other (brand cars from my usual preference) cars thinking 'hey this looks promising' and every year I'm reminded why my brand preferences were developed and continue to solidify.
Buy what you like, just make sure that you know what you're getting into- the Hyundai is a throw-away car. People keep hondas for 20-30 years where as Korean cars are largely removed from duty in 10-12.

See, the issue with this is just how much and how fast Kia/Hyundai have evolved. Really, the stuff they put out 10 years ago can not be compared to what they are putting out now.

My GF owns a Kia Forte, it is several years old now and is not showing ANY signs of degradation like the generations of Kias their reputation is based on.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Lots of cool thoughts guys thanks!

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Feb 24 2012, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, the issue with this is just how much and how fast Kia/Hyundai have evolved. Really, the stuff they put out 10 years ago can not be compared to what they are putting out now.

My GF owns a Kia Forte, it is several years old now and is not showing ANY signs of degradation like the generations of Kias their reputation is based on.

I agree that they're now made on/close to par with... Scion quality, for instance. Like the older cars of its brand; 12+ years down the road, the maintenance/repairs will total the car- but it'll probably look better. That is my prediction.
What's the difference between Hyundai/Kia and Honda, entering the US market in their respective eras and what is the difference now? I think that the company philosophy and drive is embedded in every piece of either car. What do you guys think? or maybe I'm getting OT
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Condor

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si, bought new, no rice. 07 MCa w/sport, no kraut.
How about that scion iq?
I think it is only CVT now I was hoping it would have a 6 speed manual in the future.

I didn't check yet how much that ford is new.
One problem with American cars is they give a total redo so quickly so
yours looks "old". Contrast that with something like a Porche or even a Mini Cooper,
they keep the same look for quite a number of years (using the extreme example)

I think Hyundai did actually raise its quality level way up from ancient times.

Not sure what you need for gas mileage my wife has a Suzuki SX4 sport (also called hatch).
Check it out. I think it is in your price range. Hers is auto so it chomps gas but
the manual gets very good mpg. The handling and ride are kick ass.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
the iQ is supposed to be about 20g. why bother when you can get something, IMO much better for much cheaper.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(