Junkyard Rear Sway Bar- $35 Bucks For A Big Ol' Bar!

• You cannot reply to this topic
76 replies to this topic

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
Right on! Post a link here if y'all do use it. smile.gif

edit:

I think I found the noise, the exhaust not only has a rediculous amount of travel side to side to swing, but it also fell close to the bar again. Yesterday I just pulled it against the floor pan, and it twisted the pipe at the muffler to rotate the tail pipe away from the bar. Seems it went back... I'll have to do something with the exhaust hangers if this doesn't work:

Just a piece of heater hose on the bar. There's about 3/8 in. clearance, should shut the noises up for now.

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 18 June 2010 - 09:41 PM.

MinkelR

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '89 Acura Integra LS
Thanks for figuring this out!! Finally a legit junkyard option!
I had some spare time and hit up the junkyard.

Fits on the G1 teg. I only have it attached to the rear axle at the moment just to see if it would clear the exhaust. I think I may try that angle iron idea to attach it to the chassis.

Edit: BTW, the sway bar is 3/4" diameter if nobody else mentioned it.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Excellent, I was worried that the bar would hit the transverse muffler on the non-hf cars.

Best part is, there's tons of these mini-vans in the Junkyards, so it's not a wild goose chase looking for already hard to find CRXs and what not.

Also, if you get the bar off again, could you weigh it for reference? I forgot to do this before I got too far into the install.

Edit: 06-19-10
The vibrating sound from earlier was the exhaust hitting the sway bar. The heater hose fix solved it for now. I'll have to get tighter exhaust hangers later

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 19 June 2010 - 07:13 PM.

evol911

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Ford F350 SWB 1987 BMW 325ic 1976 BMW 2002 1984 CRX 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
Great find! Got a question, it looks as though you have the sway bay mounted to the top of the rear axle, has that limited your suspension travel in the rear any?

"I'm a man of means by no means..."

MinkelR

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '89 Acura Integra LS
I haven't noticed any decreased suspension travel but I've only had it on for about 15 miles.

The back end seems "wander" less and turn tighter around the corners I took it through.

Here's the bracket I made. I used 10" piece of 2 x 2 x 1/8" angled steel for each side. You can keep a tow hook on the passenger side but the drivers side tow hook will interfere. I need to re-drill the middle hole hence why there are only 2 bolts in it.

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (evol911 @ Jun 20 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great find! Got a question, it looks as though you have the sway bay mounted to the top of the rear axle, has that limited your suspension travel in the rear any?

Just checked, there's well over 6" of clearance above the bar on level ground. I went and flexed the little car out with the rear passenger tire up on an 8" curb, the other 3 left on the street, with still tons of clearance. You'd be hard pressed to get the bar to make contact with the floor pan.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (TexanIdiot25 @ Jun 18 2010, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah that's why i started with the sway bars first. it rides harsh enough. and with pizza delivery i off road it a bit on⦁ the dirt roads, i need all the travel i can get smile.gif its not really stiffer over bumps, predictably, just less over all slop.

for the dx and si springs, would i need to upgrade the shocks? they're in good shape as is, though.

Only if you want to. It isn't necessary.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

evol911

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Ford F350 SWB 1987 BMW 325ic 1976 BMW 2002 1984 CRX 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (TexanIdiot25 @ Jun 20 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checked, there's well over 6" of clearance above the bar on level ground. I went and flexed the little car out with the rear passenger tire up on an 8" curb, the other 3 left on the street, with still tons of clearance. You'd be hard pressed to get the bar to make contact with the floor pan.

Perfect! Thanks!!

"I'm a man of means by no means..."

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Nearly a month after the install, the mounts have worked out to be perfectly fine, structurally. No signs that the brackets have tried to pull out of the sheet metal. There's been more than enough driving to prove it, with at least 500 miles per week at work. After a few thousand miles, I'd have to wager that's good enough tongue.gif

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 10 July 2010 - 01:16 AM.

VaporParanoia

• Low Budget Billionaire
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,05 Honda CRV, My Wife Up a Wall
so this is 3/4" diameter, same as the suspension techniques for a tenth of the retail cost..... sounds like a winner to me, good find!
"Horsepower sets how fast you hit the wall. Torque sets the size of the hole."

"... the motor car was poetry and tragedy, love and heroism." - Sinclair Lewis

Your car is an eminently replaceable mass production inanimate object that doesn't give a fuck about you.

"...Twas hard the woeful words to frame; To break the ties that bound us; But harder still to bear the shame; Of foreign chains around us..." - Robert Dwyer Joyce

funkmaster

• 1985 Mugen CR-X Si
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2006 Ford Focus ST, 2009 Lexus RX350, 1996 Del Sol Vtec
    • Image Gallery
The ST rear sway bar is $350???

VaporParanoia

• Low Budget Billionaire
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,05 Honda CRV, My Wife Up a Wall
its 350 for a full set from ST, i found just the rear cheaper here: http://www.autoparts...ntent=APD369083

"Horsepower sets how fast you hit the wall. Torque sets the size of the hole."

"... the motor car was poetry and tragedy, love and heroism." - Sinclair Lewis

Your car is an eminently replaceable mass production inanimate object that doesn't give a fuck about you.

"...Twas hard the woeful words to frame; To break the ties that bound us; But harder still to bear the shame; Of foreign chains around us..." - Robert Dwyer Joyce

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
Bumping this thread. I just scored a complete rear bar from the same vehicle for $11.78 including tax at the local pick a part. My custom exhaust will have to be modified due to interference, but I'm pleased to find a truly affordable option.

THANK YOU greatly for this superb tech!

BTW just checked on replacement end links for these as the ones from the bone yard were pretty well worn. At rockauto.com and they go for $7 each for the cheapest, $12 each for the most expensive!

Edited by hondaguy72, 01 October 2010 - 04:55 PM.

DallasCRX

• Automotive Engineer - Honda of Canada
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si, 2009 Nissan 370Z (Daily), 2009 Aprilia Shiver SL750
    Garage View Garage
OMG! Thank you so much for bumping this, I'm still trying to catch up on all the RPR happenings I missed this summer. This made my night, I have a scrap '97 Grand Voyager at the shop right now I will be checking for a sway bar (it's currently used as a storage unit stocked full of spare parts from CRX doner cars). Awesome stuff guys! I've been looking at the aadco and ST kits for ages now, sure am glad I didn't spring for one. biggrin.gif
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Mar 4 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Rule of Money. Any Money spent on a car project will require a Square Root amount more Money spent to make the original Money's investment worthwhile.

hondaguy72

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Odyssey
Just to note, those using the smaller dx/hf rear axle, 2" clamps work vs. the 2.5" noted. The brackets don't match up to these so the bar bracket holes must be filed for the smaller clamps to work. \

With the improved handling I'm taking every possible opportunity to drive my 84!